Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-30-2015, 10:35 AM

Default CWD cull

Anybody hear about a deer cull going on again in the Chauvin area for CWD
Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Banned

not again. they got soooo much bad press last time would they dare?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:07 AM

If there is a cull going on, GREAT!

With the lack of snow this will be a winter of mobility, and whatever infected deer there are, will have a chance to spread this disease again.

The deer numbers are quite low out east due to 4 hard winters. Now is the chance to zero in on ground zero and they should be able to end this problem with a lot less expense than last time.

We still are getting positive test results. That has to be stopped. a few mild winters in a row and the deer population will spike and CWD will take off once again. We can't let that happen.

Now, in 30 years time when some greedy farmer wants to again import wild animals from the US for a game farm, I hope some of us are still around to point out the 10s of millions spent to fix the problem that could have been easily avoided in the first place.

Unfortunately, this experience will not be over, as the warming weather is seeing cattle ranching and grazing creeping closer and closer to Wood Buffalo National Park from La Crete - Fort Vermillion. The infected bison have to be eliminated before Brucellosis, TB, and Anthrax gets into our cattle herd and causes a National quarantine.

Maybe when billions are at stake, the Government will pay attention to managing risk from disease transfer. They sure dropped the ball on CWD.

Drewski
Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM

What is Saskatchewan doing to contain things....just across the border? Doing an "alberta only" cull will only free up habitat for deer from Saskatchewan to naturally migrate to....clearing a way for more transborder transmission.

LC
Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Banned

Not again!!!!!! The culling program has already decimated the mule deer populations in the 200 zones I have hunted in for the last 13 years.

Why doesn't the government stop playing God with our animals and let nature take it's course?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:36 PM

I haven't heard about another cull but would not support it. Biologists from Colorado and Wyoming have concluded that a cull does nothing as the prion exists in the soil, so I'm not sure why our guys don't give any credence to this logic.

And it would be tough to do a cull around here!! I live near Metiskow, for those of you familiar with the area, and I have seen a grand total of 8 deer in the last 2 months, all WT's.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Banned

Doesn't get grimmer than that eh Bushmaster? especially since we used to see Hundreds and Hundreds of mulies.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 PM

First time in my life I didn't even buy a licence. I went out with a buddy who had a moose tag and every day we were out we saw more moose than deer.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Banned

Hope you got a nice bull!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Nope, he had a cow tag. We found her basically in my back yard!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I haven't heard about another cull but would not support it. Biologists from Colorado and Wyoming have concluded that a cull does nothing as the prion exists in the soil, so I'm not sure why our guys don't give any credence to this logic.

And it would be tough to do a cull around here!! I live near Metiskow, for those of you familiar with the area, and I have seen a grand total of 8 deer in the last 2 months, all WT's.
CWD management is not currently able to eliminate the disease from an area, but keeping the deer population low and young has proven to reduce the prevalence and expansion rate.

The current practice in Alberta is designed for CWD control, not elimination.

If a localized hotspot has been detected then a cull may have been ordered.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-30-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

With the lack of snow this will be a winter of mobility, and whatever infected deer there are, will have a chance to spread this disease again.

The deer numbers are quite low out east due to 4 hard winters. Now is the chance to zero in on ground zero and they should be able to end this problem with a lot less expense than last time.

We still are getting positive test results. That has to be stopped. a few mild winters in a row and the deer population will spike and CWD will take off once again. We can't let that happen.

Now, in 30 years time when some greedy farmer wants to again import wild animals from the US for a game farm, I hope some of us are still around to point out the 10s of millions spent to fix the problem that could have been easily avoided in the first place.

Unfortunately, this experience will not be over, as the warming weather is seeing cattle ranching and grazing creeping closer and closer to Wood Buffalo National Park from La Crete - Fort Vermillion. The infected bison have to be eliminated before Brucellosis, TB, and Anthrax gets into our cattle herd and causes a National quarantine.

Maybe when billions are at stake, the Government will pay attention to managing risk from disease transfer. They sure dropped the ball on CWD.

Drewski
This has nothing to do with a game farm. Although, putting a large number of animals in a small area can create the circumstances for easy transmission the origin is not easily pinpointed. Look at Wisconsin and their attempts at a cull as mentioned, unsuccessful and they continue to have problems. There is no way that we as humans can eradicate this problem. Trying to kill everything in the zones where contaminated animals have been found will not be successful. I like the comment above about us to "stop trying to play god" and agree. Or maybe we should kill every animal in the province and start over, terrible idea. I sure hope that this cull isn't happening as it would be a huge waste of time, again. The 200 series are already hurting in some areas.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope, he had a cow tag. We found her basically in my back yard!
Congrats Bushmaster, right now I am making my delicious Cow Moose Spaghetti Sauce for diner with Linguine.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Drewski
TB and Brucellosis may be an issue, anthrax not so much.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:16 PM

Yes the Prions in the soil are stubborn but it was animal to animal contact that caused the easy spread, typically by saliva. Such as cattle salt blocks. Soil contact was lesser trans missive.

The problem for Colorado is that the game numbers are kept high and keep re introducing the Prions, so the re infection is more likely. But it still is greatest with animal to animal contact.

As such, if a hot spot can be eliminated, there is a greater chance of stopping re infection. The prions will eventually neutralize, and we can have a safe environment for the deer herd.

Yes, Saskatchewan has to start doing their part, but they too are seeing herd reduction through the hard winters.

I bet a lot of infected deer did not have the health to survive the onset of hard winters we have experienced lately. If the population takes off again, with a string of mild winters, we may never be able to contain CWD.

Drewski
Old 01-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Banned

After hunting mullies for many years and having the majority tested, with none coming back positive, IMHO culls are a waste of our animals that beautify our landscape.

We should start a petition to start culling the F&W managers that are calling for culls.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:31 PM

This was a common sight in the last coupla winters. I wonder if our "game managers" were testing them to see if they had CWD.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 01-30-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Banned

Old 01-30-2015, 01:42 PM

These pics were all taken on the same day on a drive up to a friends place.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Banned

Old 01-30-2015, 04:27 PM

This killed a lot of deer in the last few years south of us and earlier here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epizoot...rhagic_Disease

got to try to slow CWD at our borders please

David
Old 01-30-2015, 05:23 PM

Hope not... What a waste of our resource. I really wonder about our srd most days though.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:45 PM

I don't think we can stop it . Every year it moves a little more westward. The prions live for years in the soil. I think that all we can hope for is that eventually after time some deer will not be affected by it and will repopulate, immune to the prions.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Drewski

Drewski, have you heard on any place where this 'Kill'em all" strategy has gotten rid of the CWD and had a healthy population return?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-31-2015, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Drewski, have you heard on any place where this 'Kill'em all" strategy has gotten rid of the CWD and had a healthy population return?
A cull does not work and this has proven many times, which is why almost everyone except the idiots in this province have abandoned the idea. What was done in eastern Alberta was IMO one of the worst cases of "game management" in our province, an absolute disgrace filled with lies, confusion, idiocy, more lies, a complete cluster ****.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
A cull does not work and this has proven many times, which is why almost everyone except the idiots in this province have abandoned the idea. What was done in eastern Alberta was IMO one of the worst cases of "game management" in our province, an absolute disgrace filled with lies, confusion, idiocy, more lies, a complete cluster ****.
Could not have said it better myself bobalong!!!!!

If people were to see the picture that Bushmaster was kind enough to post, there would be a large outcry from the general public, especially the antis.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:

You need to get out more a lot more.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Could not have said it better myself bobalong!!!!!

If people were to see the picture that Bushmaster was kind enough to post, there would be a large outcry from the general public, especially the antis.
I think that these deer were likely dead from winter kill (or possibly cwd) it would have been good to get them tested. The last 4 years have been cruel to the deer in the northern cwd zones, there have been large scale die offs due to really harsh winter conditions in 2 of them, another that really didn't help and srd hasn't really lowered the number of tags that they give out. They wanted the deer numbers down well they got their wish, in 7 days of hunting in rifle season out there (and a few bird hunting trips) I saw1 mule buck that had horns bigger than a small 3 point and the biggest whitetail was a yearling with his first rack, doe numbers were pitiful as well, it was terribly sad to see.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:47 AM

here is a state that implemented CDC protocol and Quarantined area of out break ..then culled and keep area numbers down and monitored

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/33220.html

still have not had more cases

Culls and CDC protocol will slow and stop CWD period

Food for Thought

David
Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
here is a state that implemented CDC protocol and Quarantined area of out break ..then culled and keep area numbers down and monitored

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/33220.html

still have not had more cases

Culls and CDC protocol will slow and stop CWD period

Food for Thought

David
I may have misread it but don't see mention of cull anywhere in there. Also don't see mention of any wild cases ever being found which would make it a completely different management issue such is the case here. CDC protocols are great for diseases if you catch it early in a containable area but that's not the case for CWD here unfortunately.