Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Is Cabelas, Bass Pro or WSS still recording info on firearm purchases

I am heading out to pick up a new plinker .. So wanting to know where to spend my $$$
Old 02-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Cabelas was recording info ( or tried to) 4 months back. I don't believe WSS is.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM

If you use a credit card or debit its really recorded anyways, though just in the stores own database and that needs co-operation from the card issuer to put an identity to the purchaser. Unidentified lottery jackpot winners who didn't know they won have been tracked and verified by credit card purchase records being cross referenced with the place & time a winning ticket was sold. That's something I'd encourage them to track me down for!!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Thumbs up

WSS don't and CT in Leduc don't. But they do confirm you have a PAL and check ID of course.

I'm looking for another excuse to buy somethig from CT there, so that shows my thoughts on that!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Cabela's still does. It's their store policy.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:06 PM

Wholesale looks at your pal, looks at you, then writes pal verified, that's it.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Cabela's still does. It's their store policy.
Not that I frequent their stores, but that in itself guarantees, that they will never sell me a firearm.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Banned

I just purchased an O/U from WSS in Calgary. They did not record my PAL number, but the fellow did a quick check on the computer to ensure that I was legit. I have no problem with them doing that whatsoever, in fact I expect it.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:04 PM

i usually shop at wss but i bought one at cabela's a few weeks ago and they did not write anything down , after i told them not to. actually p&d kicked up more of a stink about it than cabela's did . wss never records anything .
Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Got a .22 from Bass Pro 3 months ago and they sure do. Took about 30 mins to get the paperwork done. Got a SKS at WSS 2 weeks ago and they checked my PAL and asked my address to confirm. That was all.

MRM.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Banned

Why purchase from Wholesale Sports as opposed to Cabela's or Bass Pro? Well for one thing, they do not register your PAL info. And for another, they are Canadian. Two good reasons to do so in my books. And in spite of the baloney that I've read on line, the service and help that I've received from WSS in Calgary had been without reproach. If you go in the store without attitude, you'll be treated likewise.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 PM

Just bought a nonrestricted at WSS on St. Albert Trail in Edmonton yesterday, Feb. 9, and YES they did write down all my info. I'm sure you can decline having that done if you want to, but the default is that they do in fact keep a record.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msguns View Post
Just bought a nonrestricted at WSS on St. Albert Trail in Edmonton yesterday, Feb. 9, and YES they did write down all my info. I'm sure you can decline having that done if you want to, but the default is that they do in fact keep a record.
Actually, I just pulled my copy to be sure of what is on it.... under "FAC NO." he simply wrote, "verified". I stand corrected.

I'd like to add... I have never cared for that location, I prefer South Commons, BUT this time Bob helped us and he was fantastic!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

That is very odd. Stores have a corporate policy, and this is not in line with my experience at the Calgary store. For my part, knowing my legal rights, I would have not complied and walked away from that purchase. What did you do? stand up for your rights? or comply?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msguns View Post
Actually, I just pulled my copy to be sure of what is on it.... under "FAC NO." he simply wrote, "verified". I stand corrected.

I'd like to add... I have never cared for that location, I prefer South Commons, BUT this time Bob helped us and he was fantastic!
Well then get your crap together before you complain. Verified is a whole different story from recorded.