Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2024, 06:49 PM

Default Sat Receiver - Telus

Ours took a dump & lost all channels. She called & he got her to try several things & he said it is done.
We have saved a pile of videos/shows.
He said we would lose all of them. Called the local computer store & they said the same.

There has got to be a way to save them ?

New one gets here (they say) on Monday.
If we send the old one back we do not get charged for the new one ( why would they want the old one ?)

Help ?
Old 02-08-2024, 09:11 PM

Hi what model receiver? Usually just need a few capacitors replaced. Telus satellite used bell receivers. I’ve repaired lots back in the day.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
why would they want the old one ?
They refurbish them. I am with Bell and they are changing over to HD so my old SD receivers will not work come March. Sent me 4, 2 did not work proper. Sent them back and got 2 more, they did not work. Sent me 2 more and they worked. When talking to the rep she said they were used refurbished units. What a PITA!
WDF
Old 02-09-2024, 04:41 PM

It's been a while since I've worked with these receivers, but if the machine still turns on and functions you might be able to save you recorded shows.

There are USB ports in the back of the unit. If you plug in an external hard drive, you should be able to transfer the show over to it.

Couple things to keep in mind: the receiver will re-format the hard drive so make sure there is nothing on it that you want to keep. Also I have found in the past not all hard drives will be recognized by the receiver and it may have to do with how the hard drive is powered. I usually had luck with hard drives that had their own power supply, not powered over the USB.

It has been at least 5 years since I've done this so a software update on the receivers may block this feature now.

This trick would also allow you to record shows to a 6131 receiver.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:20 PM

Lots of times you can download the app for the channel (Global, CTV, etc..) and there is usually seasons of shows on there so you might be able to watch what you’re missing. We had a Shaw dish and they have a VOD feature with lots of shows in there too.