Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2024, 11:19 AM

Default Harmonica Players

Anybody play this instrument? I would like to learn how to but have no musical skill. Can it be done?
Old 02-08-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Anybody play this instrument? I would like to learn how to but have no musical skill. Can it be done?
There are several teachers on YouTube that you can learn from. Anything can be done if you work at it.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:26 AM

Yes. Ive played for decades. Over time you might wind up with several, but if you buy a dual C chord and G chord Hohner you can play about 70% of the music out there.

Out breath plays notes and in breath plays other notes. Lol.

Once you pick one up and start you will catch on quick. Low notes to the left, higher notes go right. Like a piano.

My suggest is to purchase a C and G chord Hohner. One of the best songs to listen to and learn the way a harmonica works is "Days are Numbers" by Alan Parsons Project. It is in the chord of "C". Listen for 10 seconds and take the harmonica and find the notes by gentle in and out breaths. Within minutes you will have a good idea of how your harmonica works.

Playing the song note by note will teach you how slight you move to reach a note.

And remember, playing a song note by note without a singer is different than playing WITH a singer......you play note by note (without a singer) so people recognize the song. With a singer, there are "skips" as you are an accompanying music rather than anything else.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 02-08-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:48 AM

Yeah the tab is really simple as well.
Hardest part at the start is hitting the right hole, but that comes with practice.
Learn Neil young tunes, super easy but sound great.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:48 AM

I found it fairly easy to learn. But it would take a lot of practice to master all the advanced techniques, like any instrument. I don’t read music very well so I would get music books that showed how to play “tab” and it made it very easy.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:16 PM

My dad played a harmonica, never took lessons, never learned how to read music just listened and played what he heard.
I tried to learn harmonica, guitar, piano; the music teacher was relieved when I finally gave up.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Yes. Ive played for decades. Over time you might wind up with several, but if you buy a dual C chord and G chord Hohner you can play about 70% of the music out there.

Out breath plays notes and in breath plays other notes. Lol.

Once you pick one up and start you will catch on quick. Low notes to the left, higher notes go right. Like a piano.

My suggest is to purchase a C and G chord Hohner. One of the best songs to listen to and learn the way a harmonica works is "Days are Numbers" by Alan Parsons Project. It is in the chord of "C". Listen for 10 seconds and take the harmonica and find the notes by gentle in and out breaths. Within minutes you will have a good idea of how your harmonica works.

Playing the song note by note will teach you how slight you move to reach a note.

And remember, playing a song note by note without a singer is different than playing WITH a singer......you play note by note (without a singer) so people recognize the song. With a singer, there are "skips" as you are an accompanying music rather than anything else.
Do you block holes with your tongue?
Old 02-08-2024, 07:18 PM

#1 Buy a cheap harp at a toy store , usually in the key of C
#2 If it's in the key of C the number 4 hole will be a C when you blow .
#3 Starting at the fourth hole, play do ray me (the scale)
#4 Once you can play the scale you can pretty much play any melody in your head.
Glad I could help, I've taught many with this simple lesson.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:59 PM

Never took any lessons but have a book or two on playing draw harp etc. Always played one with one as accompaniment with a guitar using an around the neck holder and in the root key of the song whether C, G, Am etc. Dylan, Piano Man whatever. Booze and distance makes things sound great!
Old 02-08-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Do you block holes with your tongue?
Depends on how well I know the particular harmonica........
Old 02-08-2024, 08:33 PM

My son learned from you tube and he learned the mouth harp
Old 02-08-2024, 08:42 PM

Smile What you can learn on this website.

This continues to amaze me. Well way to go guys, another first for the group.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Depends on how well I know the particular harmonica........
Nobody appreciates all the mouthorgan double entendres more than I do, I assure you.

But seriously, how much you you tongue block?
Do you do it for every note, or just when you're switching between a couple or what?

I've played the harmonica since I was probably 7 or 8, but all Christmas carols, or hymns, or nursery rhymes. And I didn't tongue block.
The harmonicas my dad and grandfather had didn't sound like the harmonicas blues and rock guys used.
I don't know if what's standing between me and blues harmonica is using the wrong harmonica, or not tongue blocking.
My harmonicas are Honer Goliaths, echo harps, and I think I have a marine band in g somewhere.
Most of these have a lot of vibrato.
Do all harmonicas have vibrato?
I really don't know what I don't know when it comes to harmonicas.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:18 PM

I play occasionally. I have a hohner 270 chromatic harmonica. I think I use about 5% of what it is capable of. Great for around the camp fire or evenings around the stove with the kids. It’s like anything else, the more time spent doing it the more comfortable and better you get at it.
I’ve been listening to Moses concas lately. Quite a genius with a harmonica. His music may not be for everyone but he sure has talent.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Nobody appreciates all the mouthorgan double entendres more than I do, I assure you.

But seriously, how much you you tongue block?
Do you do it for every note, or just when you're switching between a couple or what?

I've played the harmonica since I was probably 7 or 8, but all Christmas carols, or hymns, or nursery rhymes. And I didn't tongue block.
The harmonicas my dad and grandfather had didn't sound like the harmonicas blues and rock guys used.
I don't know if what's standing between me and blues harmonica is using the wrong harmonica, or not tongue blocking.
My harmonicas are Honer Goliaths, echo harps, and I think I have a marine band in g somewhere.
Most of these have a lot of vibrato.
Do all harmonicas have vibrato?
I really don't know what I don't know when it comes to harmonicas.

One song I HAVE to use my tongue is "I Guess thats Why they Call it The Blues" by Elton John. I will screw it up every time if i dont, and only when moving to the right or higher notes. The right side of my face isnt as coordinated as the left I guess....
Old 02-09-2024, 08:53 AM

My dad played the harmonica, the more he drank the more he played. Him and my uncles used to love all the dirty French songs and the French have a bunch of ‘em!

When I’m metal detecting I’m constantly amazed how many harmonicas I find, they used to be very popular I think.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:07 AM

I started playin as a Kid, The Ozark Mountain Daredevils have a lot of harmonica songs you can try and copy. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band also, look up the The Fish Song, it'll get you playin the High notes.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:58 PM

Got me a c harmonica. So now the fun begins or should I say frustration. I will hit you tube for some lessons. I'll let you all know when I hit the big times
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
My dad played the harmonica, the more he drank the more he played. Him and my uncles used to love all the dirty French songs and the French have a bunch of ‘em!

When I’m metal detecting I’m constantly amazed how many harmonicas I find, they used to be very popular I think.
Spent my glory years in Bonneyvjlle everyone had a guitar or something...I know those dirty French songs, had alot of fun. Harmonica is pretty simple unless you are shaping a new song. The harmonica riffs you hear all the time is in your head. Just play around with it by yourself and you will be the life of the party in no time.