Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2024, 07:46 PM

Default Any old time UFC fans here....?

I'm trying to remember a fighters name...pretty sure it was pre-UFC, and all the weight classes and rules etc. Looking for the name/video of a bald fighter who had a pony tail in the center of his skull, was a big man and if I remember was quite successful. The fight I'm looking for the other guy quickly grabbed hold of the others pony tail and had complete control of the fight from there on...any info??
Old 02-07-2024, 07:51 PM

The guys you’re looking for was Kimo vs Gracie
Old 02-07-2024, 07:56 PM

Thanks for that LD...but that's not the fight I'm looking for. My pony tail guy had no hair on his head whatsoever, except the pony tail. And I'm thinking it was before we ever even heard of Royce Gracie....
Old 02-08-2024, 05:41 AM

If it was indeed a UFC fight you're thinking of?

It was always called the UFC, it's just that the first 3 had basically no rules other than no eye gouging or scratching.

Royce Gracie was in #1, and part of the first several.

I don't remember another fight with Royce against a pony-tailed rival, other than Kimo Leopoldo in UFC 2, where Rovce tugs on it for a good part of the match until it eventually rips off.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:07 AM

I think it was before the UFC was formed....I maybe should have said an MMA fight. Before any serious organization...
Old 02-08-2024, 08:30 AM

I don't follow UFC or MMA at all. A couple of years ago, some dude was in my chair for a meeting I was having at a construction site. All the trades were crowding in the office for some reason, and I ended up talking for a bit with the guy in my spot. He seemed nice enough.

Turns out it was George St. Pierre. He was there promoting one of his sponsors which was safety boots. I had no clue who he was or what he did, but for such a little guy he seemed pretty ripped. Got a photo with him since everyone else was doing it. Pretty quiet guy overall. I googled him after the meeting and I was glad I didn't say anything to tick him off!
Old 02-08-2024, 08:41 AM

I have UFC #1 through 14 on VHS somewhere. Denver was the only place in North America that would sanction the first few. Long before Dana White et al took over. Kimo was the only ponytail guy that jumps to mind.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:09 PM

My Jui jitsu sensei was in the first UFC, lost to a cop. Was a poor showing. I was pretty pumped for him until I saw him tap. Lol. Long time ago. Teachers name. Harold Howard. He had a tough life after that.

Tullfan
Old 02-08-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
My Jui jitsu sensei was in the first UFC, lost to a cop. Was a poor showing. I was pretty pumped for him until I saw him tap. Lol. Long time ago. Teachers name. Harold Howard. He had a tough life after that.

Tullfan
Harold Howard was awesome with the suplex move and awesome combination knockout. Didn't do too well after that one fight. Cop was an alternate after injury.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Harold Howard was awesome with the suplex move and awesome combination knockout. Didn't do too well after that one fight. Cop was an alternate after injury.
He was a beast in the dojo. Rock solid of a man, and tough. He knew it. He was great with us kids though. Dojo was called the Fighting Griffin. Man, I was proud as a peacock when I got in. I was 11, and made to blue belt. I remember one time being new and coming put of the bathroom. Everyone was doing push ups on their knuckles. They stopped when I rejoined. Found out pretty quick. You best hold your pee unless you want your friends to do pushups until your done. Lol. Oh yeah. Don’t lean up against the weapons rack. That gets everyone 50 pushups too. You learn to count real good in Japanese when you’re new. Lol.
Ahh the good old days.

Tullfan
Old 02-10-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
He was a beast in the dojo. Rock solid of a man, and tough. He knew it. He was great with us kids though. Dojo was called the Fighting Griffin. Man, I was proud as a peacock when I got in. I was 11, and made to blue belt. I remember one time being new and coming put of the bathroom. Everyone was doing push ups on their knuckles. They stopped when I rejoined. Found out pretty quick. You best hold your pee unless you want your friends to do pushups until your done. Lol. Oh yeah. Don’t lean up against the weapons rack. That gets everyone 50 pushups too. You learn to count real good in Japanese when you’re new. Lol.
Ahh the good old days.

Tullfan
This was his fight with Roland Payne at UFC 3. Awesome fight.
https://youtu.be/fguPg2Yd0aU?si=kMeu3HDG0n33irVZ