Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-11-2009, 10:12 PM

Default Remington action question

After doing a search I couldn't find what I'm looking for. I am under the understanding that there are 3 different action (rem 700) lengths. Short, regular, long.

How can I tell which action is which? What I'm wondering is can I take a 22-250 and put a .243 barrel onto it? The .243 bullet is slightly longer and very close to the same diameter (bolt face). Would the .22-250 action be just as strong as a .308 action?

Basically I'm wanting a .260 Rem 700 and I notice the odd .260 barrel for sale so I'm wondering if I seen a .22-250 or similar rifle for a great deal if I could swap out barrels.

Next question I'm curious about is what are the differences between a rem 700 ADL, BDL, CDL, SPS, 770, and Seven actions? Which is lightest?

Thanks for the help.

Timber
Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 PM

A good link to 700 actions is below.The model 7 action is a super short action that will only handle the short action cartridges.The 770 action is a piece of junk that uses a pressed in barrel,so rebarrelling is not an option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_700

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-11-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moline View Post
After doing a search I couldn't find what I'm looking for. I am under the understanding that there are 3 different action (rem 700) lengths. Short, regular, long.

How can I tell which action is which? What I'm wondering is can I take a 22-250 and put a .243 barrel onto it? The .243 bullet is slightly longer and very close to the same diameter (bolt face). Would the .22-250 action be just as strong as a .308 action?

Basically I'm wanting a .260 Rem 700 and I notice the odd .260 barrel for sale so I'm wondering if I seen a .22-250 or similar rifle for a great deal if I could swap out barrels.

Next question I'm curious about is what are the differences between a rem 700 ADL, BDL, CDL, SPS, 770, and Seven actions? Which is lightest?

Thanks for the help.

Timber
A 700 22-250 can be rebarelled to 260 with a simple barrel swap. There are two basic action lengths of 700's. Long and short. Bolt face dimensions are a different story.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-11-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
There are two basic action lengths of 700's. Long and short.
That is where I do disagree with Wikipedia,since they list three action lengths.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is where I do disagree with Wikipedia,since they list three action lengths.
Wikipedia is NOT exacxtly a real credible source, as anyone can post information on it regardless of authenticity. There is NO credibilty requirement there.
Some of the guys who post information there are very credible and knowledgeable, others however.....
There was a deal in the news a while back about some clown who was putting info on Wikipedia, turned out to be a 17 year old who had no knowledge of the topic in any way.

Remington makes long and short actions only. There are differences between some of the calibers, bolt face being the most noticeable, but there are differences although slight in feed rails and feed ramps.

The 260 will fit into a short action but I have found the long action allows 1 to use the long VLD bullets and lets you seat them out where they seem to like to shoot the best.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 10-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moline View Post

Thanks for the help.

Timber
well I just fired a guys rem 770 in 300 at the range today and the thing felt like it had gravel in between the bolt and action so stay away as they are junk,,inmo...
as for a good rifle why not just buy a sako 85 in .260..I shoot 140 vld's out of her and get smaller than a inch groups at 200 yards yes some of the real accuarcy guys may scoff at that but i figure for the average hunter/shooter like me that is pretty darn good for a rifle that only set me back $1300 bucks...