Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 11:16 AM

Default Kitchen ranges rant

Are the ranges they make today all throw away appliances? I usually try to repair my own stuff and usually with great success but this Kenmore glass top range is over heating and i believe its the mother board 300$ i think, and theres so many wires and connections i may have to resort to a technician, so p robably 500$,but is it worth it? Im really thinking that the older coil burner types didnt have so many fancy contraptions and were less likely to break down,i know for sure they give of a lot more heat especially if you are canning or cooking lobster,whats your opinion,thanks.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:35 AM

The trend of making kitchen appliances digital is a problem if the guy designing it doesn't understand how to protect the electronics from heat. I've noticed it with toaster ovens in particular. The Instant Pot seems to be OK in that regards, but I'm certain if anything goes wrong on it, it is a throw away.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:35 PM

Only one type of range to own and that's gas. Bigger cash outlay but worth it in the long run.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:26 PM

If they made it to last you would have no reason to buy another. All part of the game plan.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:23 PM

I hear ya. Lots of laundry done in our house, and I go through a new washer every 2-4 years. Extended warranty only works if you can wait for them to come in 1-2 weeks, I can't wait that long so I never get it. Always the mother board that goes, $500ish to repair, even if I do it myself the part alone is $400+. All appliances are designed to fail relatively quickly, within 5-9 years of "normal" use...whatever that is. I buy dented new ones and save 40-50% on the price.

As for kitchen ranges, I only use gas the last 20 years and they seem to be less problematic.