Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 04:30 PM

Default 26 Year Old Tree Planter Fatally Mauled By Bear

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/edmonton...2f4912fca/amp/
Old 08-02-2021, 05:44 PM

Dang. That's so sad
Old 08-02-2021, 05:49 PM

Default 26 year old

What a shame. Condolences to her family.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:14 PM

Condolences to her friends and family.

I’m actually a bit surprised this doesn’t happen more often with lots of people working out or recreating in remote areas all over the province. In the good old days if you had a nuisance bear hanging around a work site someone would take care of the problem. At the very least the CO service would be called and they would trap and relocate the bear. These days it almost takes someone being mauled in order for anything to be done about bears that are getting a bit too friendly with work sites. Not saying that in this case this was the issue but I do see it being a problem with the site I work on. We have Bearscare on site but they should really change their name to Bearwatch. There is not much scaring going on these days…
Old 08-02-2021, 06:40 PM

Sad to hear that.

Condolences to her friends and family.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:00 PM

Very sad, they should be equipped and trained with bear spray and a pistol.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:20 PM

Bear spray & a handgun, shottie a lot of extra weight when they're packing trees.

Condolences to family & friends!
Old 08-02-2021, 07:25 PM

Default 26 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
X2!
Old 08-02-2021, 07:48 PM

Yup very sad situation. Tomorrow the other half and I will be in Coal Branch country doing some stream fishing. I always pack. I feel it would be irresponsible of me not to be prepared. 33 years in McMurray bush and a 5 year stint living in the Coal Branch, I had a few experiences with both blacks and a couple grizz. Stay safe out there folks. These things do happen…
Old 08-02-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Yup very sad situation. Tomorrow the other half and I will be in Coal Branch country doing some stream fishing. I always pack. I feel it would be irresponsible of me not to be prepared. 33 years in McMurray bush and a 5 year stint living in the Coal Branch, I had a few experiences with both blacks and a couple grizz. Stay safe out there folks. These things do happen…
Lots of bears in that country. Be safe.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-02-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Condolences to the family. I've done the job and had colleagues mess around with bears on their piece. A good dog is the best defense there is. I've seen quite a few at planting camps either tree bears or chase them off into the treeline.

Many planters are drunk/stoned for solid amounts of time while out in the bush. I never would have done it if everybody was packing.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Most are not the type that I would trust being responsible with a firearm. Having some people designated to patrol the group who were responsible and trained would be a more feasible option

Unfortunately though no matter how prepared and knowledgeable people are there is still going to be a risk of incidents with bears out in the bush. It can be minimized but there will always be the odd wildlife attack

Sadly this girl was an unlucky victim
Old 08-03-2021, 06:21 AM

Going to be a bad fall with the berry crop failure. Be safe out there everyone. Tragic.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:58 AM

I’ve worked up in the Swan Hills area and there are lots of bears up there blacks and grizzlies. We always have to remember when we are in the bush we are in their home and their territory and we need to respect that. Sometimes they don’t want us there other times they just turn and walk away.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Very tragic...condolences to the family and friends.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-03-2021, 09:07 AM

So stupid a young girl with her whole life in front of her gets killed by a bear....at work. You put those young kids out in Swan hills , known Grizz / black bear country with no protection ??? There should be a designated armed guard like the Oil companies use. Total BS
Old 08-03-2021, 09:17 AM

Such sad news. Condolences to the family and friends of the victim.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 AM

My son's best friend(23) has tree planted for the last 2 summers to make his post secondary school money. That's the one variable that keeps his parents up at night, if a bear encounter goes bad.

He carries bear spray but we all have been in the bush and know how you can just come upon a nasty situation.

I hope this lady at least filled the bears face full of bear spray.

Condolences to her family and friends.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
So stupid a young girl with her whole life in front of her gets killed by a bear....at work. You put those young kids out in Swan hills , known Grizz / black bear country with no protection ??? There should be a designated armed guard like the Oil companies use. Total BS
Ya pretty crazy stuff. Tree planting is some real hippy cowboy business. Knew a few people who did it.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:41 AM

I saw a tree planter camp north west of swan hills this spring. The whole area was crawling with grizz. In an evening I would see 6 different grizz.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:53 AM

So those that are in the know..with,,Years of bear history and experiences
Fill me in> on black bear is the rule of thumb if they get to you do you fight till the end or play dead.
it's always good to know, and i will add its not a perfect science on procedures and how the bear feels
For Griz. is it play dead if there on you or fight till the end?
Might be helpful to some here to know..
Old 08-03-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
So those that are in the know..with,,Years of bear history and experiences
Fill me in> on black bear is the rule of thumb if they get to you do you fight till the end or play dead.
it's always good to know, and i will add its not a perfect science on procedures and how the bear feels
For Griz. is it play dead if there on you or fight till the end?
Might be helpful to some here to know..
Black bears, fight like hell. Grizzlies, play dead.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:44 AM

You don't swim where you know there are sharks ? Don't go hiking in Grizz country , your just asking for trouble. Playing dead ?? If a Grizz is on you your dead unless your a real lucky man.
If your going into bear country.......especially Swan Hills, be armed and ready.
If you get charged shoot and keep shootin.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:53 AM

This brings back memories of the lady that was killed right in the Suncor camp. Bears can surprise you, when you don’t expect them, and kill you, if you are not prepared.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:23 PM

Black vs Grizz….. it’s really all situational. Just like dog encounters in that regard.

Bottom line is you need to be aware.

I got totally surprised by a little black bear this AM. Musta been 15-20 yards before he blasted outta the bush and hightailed it out of there. Scared the crap out of me.

Upon reflection I shoulda known one would be there…. Water and berries… so my soiled shorts situation is my fault.

Rule 1…. Make noise. Simple as that. I try to not ‘sneak’ around in the bush until hunting season. Most bears remind me of senior citizens in terms of being aware of their surroundings.

Pack spray. Make sure it’s quick draw available. I’ve got that advice from lots of guys as well as an oil patch bear detrrant consultant buddy of mine.

He even hunts elk with bear spray at the ready…. I found that wierd… but he’s learned from experience I guess.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."

Last edited by bessiedog; 08-03-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
You don't swim where you know there are sharks ? Don't go hiking in Grizz country , your just asking for trouble. Playing dead ?? If a Grizz is on you your dead unless your a real lucky man.
If your going into bear country.......especially Swan Hills, be armed and ready.
If you get charged shoot and keep shootin.
If this was true I would have been turned into a bear turd long ago

Lived, hunted, fished, and worked in parts of BC with higher bear density then you are going to find in Alberta. I have put in lots of time hunting and helping others hunt both black and grizzly as well

That fact of the matter is using your brains and paying attention to your surroundings will dramatically decrease your odds of conflict alone. Pay attention to possible food sources. Keep an eye out for bear sign. and if your in an area with lots of both try to keep a good line of sight avoid crawling through the under brush. Like Bessiedog mentioned if you are not hunting don’t go sneaking around make your presence know

If you are in an area with heavy bear sign, lots of food like berries and limited visibility maybe consider if you need to be there. If you need to don’t hesitate to make extra noise and try not to travel with the wind in your face. Human noises are better then just crashing through the bush

For the most part bears want no part of you either and if you give them space you won’t have issues

Beware bears on a kill sight and give sows with young cubs extra space. Theses are times that are the most sketchy. Sow with older cubs still demands respect but they seem less likely to stand there ground and more likely to leave

Really in most cases it’s a matter of staying out of their personal space. If you do back out calmly in a none threatening manner is often all it takes. In most cases if you give them an out and don’t corner them they will take it

To half asleep to keep typing but for the most part vast “Majority” of bears would rather aviod people and are not out to eat you.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Pack spray. Make sure it’s quick draw available. I’ve got that advice from lots of guys as well as an oil patch bear detrrant consultant buddy of mine.

He even hunts elk with bear spray at the ready…. I found that wierd… but he’s learned from experience I guess.
Good advice.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I was stream fishing between Edson and Robb this past Friday/Saturday, I came across a few areas with bear sign. As mentioned, I often made purposeful noise, kept an eye on my surroundings and avoided walking through the thick stuff if possible. I had the boom stick with me as well as it was a solo trip. Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Condolences to her family and friends on this unfortunate incident, sounds like she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.........
Old 08-03-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
If this was true I would have been turned into a bear turd long ago

Lived, hunted, fished, and worked in parts of BC with higher bear density then you are going to find in Alberta. I have put in lots of time hunting and helping others hunt both black and grizzly as well

That fact of the matter is using your brains and paying attention to your surroundings will dramatically decrease your odds of conflict alone. Pay attention to possible food sources. Keep an eye out for bear sign. and if your in an area with lots of both try to keep a good line of sight avoid crawling through the under brush. Like Bessiedog mentioned if you are not hunting don’t go sneaking around make your presence know

If you are in an area with heavy bear sign, lots of food like berries and limited visibility maybe consider if you need to be there. If you need to don’t hesitate to make extra noise and try not to travel with the wind in your face. Human noises are better then just crashing through the bush

For the most part bears want no part of you either and if you give them space you won’t have issues

Beware bears on a kill sight and give sows with young cubs extra space. Theses are times that are the most sketchy. Sow with older cubs still demands respect but they seem less likely to stand there ground and more likely to leave

Really in most cases it’s a matter of staying out of their personal space. If you do back out calmly in a none threatening manner is often all it takes. In most cases if you give them an out and don’t corner them they will take it

To half asleep to keep typing but for the most part vast “Majority” of bears would rather aviod people and are not out to eat you.
Its true...... and despite your experience you will REALLY know when it's true. I learned all that you wrote in the "bear Awareness" courses we had to have to work in bush. It is sensible , but it only takes one bad encounter. Only a fool would "corner" a bear. Working on heli crews in NE BC and Alberta I have seen lots of Grizzly's. They decide to come at you your in BIG trouble. One of my best friends was climbing to spot Elk and was attacked by a sow after spotting a cub for like 2 seconds, she had his wind , pinned ears and charged...next to zero time to react. Very seasoned outdoorsman / hunter , we didn't read about him in paper he is lucky to be alive.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Black bears, fight like hell. Grizzlies, play dead.
Depends on the situation.
Got a friend with a bunch of scars and a broken arm from a grizzly.
He fought back by punching with with his free hand.