Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 02:56 PM

Default Need to buy a new cpap

Hey folks, my Resmed S9 needs to be replaced. I am not paying $2400.00. I have no insurance so looking for best place to buy new.
A) Or would you consider buying used?
Is it best to stick with the same brand?
What are your thoughts.?
Thanks
Old 03-05-2021, 03:10 PM

I use my Resmed 9 daily I bought a DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Standard CPAP with Heated Humidification System for traveling and backup $550

Honestly can't tell the difference between the two

https://www.canadacpapsupply.com/dev...her%20Products

I had my doctor write a prescription instead of paying a sleep clinic

As a bonus the Devilbis runs on 12 volt no adapter required for camping
Old 03-05-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I use my Resmed 9 daily I bought a DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Standard CPAP with Heated Humidification System for traveling and backup $550

Honestly can't tell the difference between the two

https://www.canadacpapsupply.com/dev...her%20Products

I had my doctor write a prescription instead of paying a sleep clinic

As a bonus the Devilbis runs on 12 volt no adapter required for camping
So how did you know how to properly calibrate it for you? Trial and error? The sleep clinic made it seem like it could only be programmed by a respiratory therapist trained by NASA.

Last edited by sns2; 03-05-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:29 PM

They set the machine from your prescription mines 10 mg per liter I've had it checked it's on the money. I bought it when I was flying to camp every two weeks instead of lugging the Resmed back and forth
Old 03-05-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
So how did you know how to properly calibrate it for you? Trial and error? The sleep clinic made it seem like it could only be programmed by a respiratory therapist trained by NASA.
Another note about private sleep clinics I would say 95% of people leave with a machine.
I was tested at University hospital in Saskatoon 22 years ago I have an overnight check up every ten years to update the prescription. Mines set at 10 cm H2O everybody I know with a machine has the same setting?

to check
https://www.canadacpapsupply.com/pre...her%20Products

Last edited by bat119; 03-05-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:08 PM

Everything bat119 is saying x2 for me

Make, model, price, performance, settings, DC as well as AC everything
The DC is nice because you can run it off a battery. If you run it on DC instead of AC (your truck for example) the battery will last 3 times longer.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-05-2021, 08:21 PM

Jumped on keto diet and lost 100 lbs and said goodbye to the cpap forever.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
Good for you. Mad props.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:14 PM

Mine is set to 13 cm, in both my separate sleep clinics I quit breathing 43 times a hour, my doctor pretty much told me I hadn’t had good rem sleep in almost 2 decades, and this explained the night terrors, in hotels I almost had the police called on me several times, and I had caused bodily harm to myself on many occasions, it all stopped with my cpap, what a life changer!
Old 03-06-2021, 11:18 AM

I got mine from https://www.cpap-supply.com/CPAP-Mac...y-com-s/25.htm
Get the set up info from SD card from your machine.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
Awesome job getting to the root of the issue like that. Very respectable for sure.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:52 AM

https://sleepyhead.software.informer.com/

http://sleepyhead.sourceforge.net/wiki/#CPAP_Machines

This will give you all the same diagnostic info the Sleep Clinic gives you and it is free. Just download the info off the card in your machine.

With respect to replacement machines, Cheapest replacements can be bought through Amazon.ca. No prescriptions or any other paper work required for Canadian purchasers. Average is about $870 vs $2,400 at the clinic. All makes and models are pretty much available.

Just got done doing this for my FIL, no insurance either. Setup instructions for setting flow rate etc on the Phillips he bought was very easy to follow. We just replicated his old machine settings as the software confirmed it was still the correct settings.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-06-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:57 AM

WOW great post thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
https://sleepyhead.software.informer.com/

This will give you all the same diagnostic info the Sleep Clinic gives you and it is free. Just download the info off the card in your machine.

With respect to replacement machines, Cheapest replacements can be bought through Amazon.ca. No prescriptions or any other paper work required for Canadian purchasers. Average is about $870 vs $2,400 at the clinic. All makes and models are pretty much available.

Just got done doing this for my FIL, no insurance either. Setup instructions for setting flow rate etc on the Phillips he bought was very easy to follow. We just replicated his old machine settings as the software confirmed it was still the correct settings.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:15 PM

Thanks guy , just picked one up this morning. Now I will be looking for a back up.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:19 PM

Please go to http://www.sleepfiles.com/ and inform yourself.
If your existing CPAP has a sdcard, then download and install one of the programs in their webpage to read your machine recorded logs. Based on that you can find your optimal pressure and if your mask is leaking etc. These would help you when you order the new machine or a mask.
I got my machine after the nose surgery and I had a prescription which was covered by insurance and yes, the technicians make you think, you have to be certified by NASA to adjust the settings.
If your insurance does not cover it, you can shop around and find one with preset pressure based on your readings (most of them allow you to change the pressure settings anyway), or upgrade to an Auto-CPAP which would adjust the pressure automatically.
good luck and deep breathing
Old 03-06-2021, 12:23 PM

Amazon.. no prescription needed resmed airsense 10 for 800 all in shipped. Anyone can set it up very easy.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
Please go to http://www.sleepfiles.com/ and inform yourself.
If your existing CPAP has a sdcard, then download and install one of the programs in their webpage to read your machine recorded logs. Based on that you can find your optimal pressure and if your mask is leaking etc. These would help you when you order the new machine or a mask.
I got my machine after the nose surgery and I had a prescription which was covered by insurance and yes, the technicians make you think, you have to be certified by NASA to adjust the settings.
If your insurance does not cover it, you can shop around and find one with preset pressure based on your readings (most of them allow you to change the pressure settings anyway), or upgrade to an Auto-CPAP which would adjust the pressure automatically.
good luck and deep breathing

It really is amazing how much of a disruptor the internet has been. Sleep clinics have been severely overcharging customers, the government and insurance companies for years. Now that you can just Google up how to get the diagnostic information, and thanks to a few guys who invested a ton of effort in creating then making free monitoring software available, as well as simple manuals to setup the machines yourself, it is pretty clear they are not the huge value proposition they like to pretend they are. Bad part, unless insurance companies and health care systems start pushing back on this abuse it won't change for a big chunk of people who have the coverage. Only reason I dug into it so hard is my FIL simply could not afford $2,400 for a new machine.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:06 PM

I have a lightly used Resmed S9 for sale. Sitting Bull has first dibs, but if he ain't interested, then she's up for grabs.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
It really is amazing how much of a disruptor the internet has been. Sleep clinics have been severely overcharging customers, the government and insurance companies for years. Now that you can just Google up how to get the diagnostic information, and thanks to a few guys who invested a ton of effort in creating then making free monitoring software available, as well as simple manuals to setup the machines yourself, it is pretty clear they are not the huge value proposition they like to pretend they are. Bad part, unless insurance companies and health care systems start pushing back on this abuse it won't change for a big chunk of people who have the coverage. Only reason I dug into it so hard is my FIL simply could not afford $2,400 for a new machine.
Before the surgery, I had a sleep study done by respiratory home solutions here in SW Calgary. I paid $200 - $300 for the rental which I promised will be reimbursed when I buy the machine. After a year or so they wanted $2700 for smth which was $1200 online and they didn't even honor their promise. Horrid experience. Needles to say I do everything online now.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:43 PM

My Mother in-law 82 went to a reflexologist that recommended she be tested for sleep apnea, there just happened to be a sleep clinic in the same building. She paid $125 to rent an overnight testing device, the next they sold her the machine, mask, tubes and cleaning solutions for close to $3000.

The kicker is she lives in Sask. if a doctor sends you to be tested it's free and if you need therapy they give you a machine for $275. Her son was outraged and tried to return the machine they refused because the machine was used.

I buy everything online like filters $4 each at vital aire same filters are $17 for 50 on Amazon.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
My Mother in-law 82 went to a reflexologist that recommended she be tested for sleep apnea, there just happened to be a sleep clinic in the same building. She paid $125 to rent an overnight testing device, the next they sold her the machine, mask, tubes and cleaning solutions for close to $3000.

The kicker is she lives in Sask. if a doctor sends you to be tested it's free and if you need therapy they give you a machine for $275. Her son was outraged and tried to return the machine they refused because the machine was used.

I buy everything online like filters $4 each at vital aire same filters are $17 for 50 on Amazon.

Don't know how long ago this happened but I would file a formal complaint with AHS. This is a straight out scam. Even in Alberta, if referred by a doctor, I know a reflexology guy isn't, the assessment should be done at no charge. IF not, find another clinic. There are quite a few good clinics as the one that initially assessed my FIL was very good in how they treated him and the advice provided. Any clinic on the up and up would have told her that she can get a no cost assessment and would have helped her claim the cost through her Sask Insurance program.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:58 AM

By far the biggest scam going, our local and only clinic in town sells the machines only for $2400 and mask seperate for $300. They told me you absolutely can not buy one without prescription anywhere in canada. After arguing I got my prescription from them and bought off amazon for 800 for exact same machine and 100 for mask and not once was asked for prescription. And any fool can program it in 2 seconds. It's almost insurance fraud I'd say.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:23 AM

Recently bought an N20 nasal mask from Vitale Aire. $250 Found out CPAP supplies same mask $99 They won't get me again.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 03-07-2021, 09:03 AM

Default CPAPsupply.ca

careful with the typing in of the web address, lots of scammers out there.
Anyways, I have ordered from CPAPsupply.ca a few times, prices 1/4 - 1/3 of local, delivery has been flawless, product is the same as when purchased from a "sleep clinic"
No prescription required.

CPAP machines and supplies has got to be one of the biggest rip offs going when bought from a "sleep clinic"
Old 03-07-2021, 09:28 AM

I think they are relying on people who have insurance. Often they wont bother to check prices if they are covered.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-07-2021, 11:05 AM

I got a 2mth month old CPAP off Kijiji last Sept for $650. Cleaned machine out real good,
got new mask, hose, cleaning brush/wipes for just under $300, it's a good little machine.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:47 PM

Sold mine to Sitting Bull. Always nice to meet fellow AOers!
Old 03-07-2021, 06:28 PM

Thanks sns2 for the Cpap. It was a pleasure to meet you as well. Take care.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Mine is set to 13 cm, in both my separate sleep clinics I quit breathing 43 times a hour, my doctor pretty much told me I hadn’t had good rem sleep in almost 2 decades, and this explained the night terrors, in hotels I almost had the police called on me several times, and I had caused bodily harm to myself on many occasions, it all stopped with my cpap, what a life changer!
I slapped on the mask and never looked back, love my old resmed, the clinic cannot believe i am still using the original one they sold me for $5500 some 15 years ago, thank god my ex school teacher wife had a fabulous plan, the machine was covered.......LOL
Old 03-07-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have a lightly used Resmed S9 for sale. Sitting Bull has first dibs, but if he ain't interested, then she's up for grabs.

I bought an s9 for back up used myself a few years ago, just incase old faithful craps out. have yet to plug it in..