Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2021, 12:05 PM

Default Helicopter Crash near GP

A family of four crashed in a helicopter today, no survivor's.

They haven't released names, but people my wife and family know. Horrible.

Condolences to family.

https://everythinggp.com/2021/01/02/...-hills-county/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-02-2021, 12:32 PM

That's horrible!! Condolences to the Family as well.

I know a couple of guys who bought 44's up GP way.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:23 PM

Tragic news we know the family. Absolutely heart breaking
Old 01-02-2021, 03:49 PM

I sure hope it wasnt anyone from Highland helicopters that I know and fly with lots.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
I sure hope it wasnt anyone from Highland helicopters that I know and fly with lots.
I believe it was an owner/pilot in his own aircraft, with his wife and 2 of his children.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-02-2021, 07:06 PM

On a side not my brother in law had a Robinson R44 at one time as well, and crashed it in his yard but luckily walked away. His wife hated it, so he got into flying fixed wings, and then ended up crashing a new plane in a heavy fog trying to land (he did not survive). But I remember him talking to me about the R44, and he said that because of the price point a lot of new pilots got them because they could afford it, but because of the rotor design it was actually a tricky aircraft to fly in his opinion. Not a very forgiving aircraft. So I will be curious to learn what happened in this crash.

I also found this article about the R44, which paints a certain picture. I'm not a pilot, and have no experience and don't have an opinion, I just recall anecdotally what my wife's brother told me about them.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-...ccident%20rate.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:40 PM

I do know from experience that they have very poor autorotative capabilities due to the size of their rotor blades. So if he got into a power loss situation with a full load, which he had, depending on how much altitude he had you have little to no time to react. Very sad. Condolences to the family.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I believe it was an owner/pilot in his own aircraft, with his wife and 2 of his children.
A couple of the guys had their own private ones to.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
On a side not my brother in law had a Robinson R44 at one time as well, and crashed it in his yard but luckily walked away. His wife hated it, so he got into flying fixed wings, and then ended up crashing a new plane in a heavy fog trying to land (he did not survive). But I remember him talking to me about the R44, and he said that because of the price point a lot of new pilots got them because they could afford it, but because of the rotor design it was actually a tricky aircraft to fly in his opinion. Not a very forgiving aircraft. So I will be curious to learn what happened in this crash.

I also found this article about the R44, which paints a certain picture. I'm not a pilot, and have no experience and don't have an opinion, I just recall anecdotally what my wife's brother told me about them.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-...ccident%20rate.
I have countless hours in jet turbine engine helicopters. Even steered them around with dual controls. Mostly 212's/205's, as well as A-stars and 206's. Only time I was in a reynolds was a quick flight over my hometown at the 100th centennial. They always scared me and have zero desire to be in one.
But they are cheap to buy and operate.
What a tragedy!
Old 01-02-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
A couple of the guys had their own private ones to.
This was a local farming family, very well known and respected in the community, involved in summer camps and so forth. That's how my daughter knew them. I don't think he was a 'professional' pilot.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:51 PM

So sad to hear. Condolences to those that lost their loved ones.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTC56 View Post
I do know from experience that they have very poor autorotative capabilities due to the size of their rotor blades. So if he got into a power loss situation with a full load, which he had, depending on how much altitude he had you have little to no time to react. Very sad. Condolences to the family.
That and a few other reasons is why I bought a 206. As TC said price point and maintenance costs for the 44 are cheap compared to the 206 and others. Frankly I wouldn't climb in a 44 with four people and a decent amount of fuel.

A very sad and tragic loss.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:49 AM

Another potentially deadly quirk of the R44.

https://www.flyingmag.com/cant-trust-a-machine/

Old 01-03-2021, 11:19 AM
Banned

sad
Old 01-03-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
That and a few other reasons is why I bought a 206. As TC said price point and maintenance costs for the 44 are cheap compared to the 206 and others. Frankly I wouldn't climb in a 44 with four people and a decent amount of fuel.

A very sad and tragic loss.
What's your operating cost on a 206? something tells me its out of reach for most private guys.

I'm a fixed wing pilot myself, it's never fun to hear that a fellow aviator has gone down. It impacts a lot of lives.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:22 PM

The names of the family have been released now.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...rthern-alberta

Old 01-03-2021, 04:31 PM
Banned

That's just SAD
Old 01-03-2021, 07:30 PM

RIP Wade, Aubrey and girls. Wade was a heck of a nice guy and the family was very active in the community.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-04-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
What's your operating cost on a 206? something tells me its out of reach for most private guys.

I'm a fixed wing pilot myself, it's never fun to hear that a fellow aviator has gone down. It impacts a lot of lives.
I know I sure think about tragedies like this many times after they occur. The aviation "family" is a big one in size but something like this hits home big time with everyone whether you knew the people involved or not.

To answer your question I budget $600.00/hour for operating cost. So far that is pretty close.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:27 PM

Condolences to the family. I lost an uncle in a Cessna crash in Northern Alberta in the 80's which was sadly never found. I understand the heart break this brings.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisPbacon View Post
Condolences to the family. I lost an uncle in a Cessna crash in Northern Alberta in the 80's which was sadly never found. I understand the heart break this brings.
Gavin Edkins left Fort Smith in his Cessna 150 bound for Red Deer and has never been found. This was in 1996. I remember this as my Dad had airplanes in McMurray growing up and I remember when Fort McMurray flight services realized he was late...

Last edited by 1899b; 01-04-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:11 AM

Default Gavin Edkins - He is still out there some where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Gavin Edkins left Fort Smith in his Cessna 150 bound for Red Deer and has never been found. This was in 1996. I remember this as my Dad had airplanes in McMurray growing up and I remember when Fort McMurray flight services realized he was late...
I was on that search for Gavin when I was with Fort McMurray Civil AIr Search and Rescue. He went missing on May 19, 1996. Searching such a vast area is difficult as Fort McMurray area is wilderness; thousands of square miles of swamps and endless flat tamarack forests. GPS units were only just coming into use in Fort McMurray at that time, so you had to fly your grid with landmarks only. In May, there is still a patch of un-melted snow on the north side of every spruce tree, which means white patches were everywhere, making it very difficult as we were looking for white pieces of Air Plane wings and fuselage. We flew with local pilots and volunteer pilots who were friends and coworkers of Edkins from the Northwest Territories, and elsewhere, who had come to help search for him. After while, the Army came took over the search.

The story of this search is written up in the book "Lost: True Stories of Canadian Aviation Tragedies" by Shirlee Smith Matheson (ISBN-10: 189485618X). It is an interesting read as lots of things I never knew about were going on in the background. He is still out there some where.