Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 07:55 PM

Default Auto insurance recommendations

Our rates seem to keep going up with no accidents, tickets etc.

Wondering who you seem to find the best for auto insurance. We are in the Edmonton area.

Any recommendations would be great
Old 10-18-2020, 09:17 PM

Default Dyck Insurance

Give Dyck Insurance in Wetaskiwin a call.

They have been very good to me for a long time.

Best prices for me.

No claims. No accidents. No driving issues in 30 years. My rates went up as well. Have to pay for the idiots I guess.

TD had the next closest prices.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Give Dyck Insurance in Wetaskiwin a call.

They have been very good to me for a long time.

Best prices for me.

No claims. No accidents. No driving issues in 30 years. My rates went up as well. Have to pay for the idiots I guess.

TD had the next closest prices.
Thanks for that info

I have heard nothing but horror stories about TD auto insurance.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:59 PM

As somebody who interned at an insurance company this summer and made a few connections throughout the industry... TD Insurance was probably the most affected insurance company from all the hail Calgary had in June and July. Forget that it was one of the costliest hail seasons ever, it was so bad that they had to call in help via their US adjusters to handle the overwhelming # of claims. That is most likely what led to TD Insurance getting a bad rep these days with "poor" customer service and late calls and all that. Not excusing any behavior for them, but just sharing what I know.

Anyway, the best bet from what I've learned is to use a reputable and good broker. I'm in Calgary so I don't have any recommendations for the Edmonton area, will leave that to the Edmontonian folks here.

I will also say that in general for auto insurance, it's not a bad idea to shop around every few years. Some insurance companies like to see "tenure" and may give discounts to people they know will stay for a while, while others want to attract those "shoppers". Another reason why you should go for a broker - they'll take care of your insurance needs by pulling as many relevant quotes as they can for you if you don't like your current rates and renewal is coming up. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:03 AM

I second the idea of going through an insurance broker. I've been with DeJong's in Calgary for almost 20 years and they are fantastic.

I call them when I have a problem and it's fixed. We've shopped around when a company's rates get too high and they've moved me twice now; always to a company that is a better fit and has better prices.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 10-19-2020, 08:42 AM
Gone Hunting

I've had very good luck with Intact Insurance. We buy it through a local broker.

My worst experience by far was with Co-op insurance.

I was with them for over 25 years, zero claims, zero accidents, then they tripled my rate with no explanation, and that was only the beginning.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2020, 02:01 PM

call scott lemire allstate Edmonton calgary trail location 587-401-4006
been with them for last 5 years and i shop around every 2nd year,
no one has been able to beat them yet.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:54 PM

When I moved from MB to Ab in 1999 went with Canadian Direct who were purchased by Belair Direct who use Intact Ins. I have a clean driving record, went with $1K deduct with $2M PLPD, no glass, uninsured motorist, accident forgiveness waiver, Family (Mrs) included, got 3 quotes for my 2020/21 insurance they were still the lowest. If my 2020 SUV goes through the ice this winter, I rather doubt I'm covered ... check them out.

Cheers

D.

Link ... https://www.belairdirect.com/promo/l...SAAEgKCTfD_BwE

Old 10-19-2020, 05:58 PM

Wasn't it Belair who made the Eskimos have to change their name?
Don't use those *****s.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:04 PM

Allstate has been great for us. We bundled auto and home and saved lots of money. They have a good app. PM me and I can give the name of the gal we deal with.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone052 View Post
I second the idea of going through an insurance broker. I've been with DeJong's in Calgary for almost 20 years and they are fantastic.

I call them when I have a problem and it's fixed. We've shopped around when a company's rates get too high and they've moved me twice now; always to a company that is a better fit and has better prices.
I used to use a broker but when a claim went sideways they were very fast to tell me that the issue was between me and the insurance company. That’s when I stopped using brokers.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:56 PM
Banned

If you are serious about the best way to insure your vehicles, at a good price, have a chat with DEAN2. His system is mind-boggling. Totally out of the box technique
Sorry DEAN2 if you get slammed with PM's
Old 10-19-2020, 09:05 PM

We go through a broker and were under ING/ Intact for a while. Broker switched us to Wawaneesa as Intact jumped our premiums up substantially for no apparent reason.

I got a quote from TD as we supposedly got a "discount" under a past employer but it was comparable to what we were paying with Wawaneesa so stuck with them.

I've only had one claim under Wawaneesa for a stolen car and it went awesome. I was honest about what happened (ran into the house to grab something with the keys left in it), and as well as what condition the car was in. Not sure if that played a part at all but they waived my deductible and I got the car back clean as a whistle without paying a dime for towing or storage and I got a free car rental for a few days. (Luckily no damage caused by the drug head who swiped it).
Old 10-20-2020, 08:13 AM

Give Millenium in Sherwood Park a call. Our rates have not gone up and they have been nothing but amazing when he had to make a claim.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 PM

I only use Allstate now.
PM sent with a contact
Old 10-21-2020, 08:46 PM

I have been dealing with Wawanesa for almost 40 years. Not blindly, I price check every year. But with multiple policies (3 vehicles and trailer, 2 properties, and my business insurance), with the multi policy discount, safe driving record (and being over 50), and also a discount for having a high credit score, nobody else beats them for me. But I still check around, just because.

My broker has been awesome for me too, for the last 20 years same people.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-22-2020, 02:39 PM

costco insurance give em a call

i was with wawanessa for over 10 years no claim or tickets, for 2 vehicles my last policy was $27XX and the new one $33xx is but the last renewal quote i got the price was up 20+% i call them back and they just said industry standard.... i call up costco insurance and i got a quote of $22xx for both vehicles

Last edited by fishtank; 10-22-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:07 PM

Im with Intact, have been good so far..........last fall I signed up for the my safe driver program that they have, its an app you download on your phone, you sign in when you want to, and it monitors your driving. Keeps track off sudden stops, and acceleration.

They claimed it does not track speed!??

Anyways, you have to put on minimum of 1000km's over a period of 9 months.

You will get weekly updates of your driving weekly trips, and every time you log a trip, it will give you a thumbs up, or thumbs down for performance, etc.

You can achieve a maximum of 25% of your next renewal, and it works, I will obtain 25% of my next renewal!

Something to check out, to save some $$
Old 10-23-2020, 07:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
Im with Intact, have been good so far..........last fall I signed up for the my safe driver program that they have, its an app you download on your phone, you sign in when you want to, and it monitors your driving. Keeps track off sudden stops, and acceleration.

They claimed it does not track speed!??

Anyways, you have to put on minimum of 1000km's over a period of 9 months.

You will get weekly updates of your driving weekly trips, and every time you log a trip, it will give you a thumbs up, or thumbs down for performance, etc.

You can achieve a maximum of 25% of your next renewal, and it works, I will obtain 25% of my next renewal!

Something to check out, to save some $$
I'll have to check that out. They never told me about it.

George Bernard Shaw