Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 07:49 PM

Default water bill problem

My son lives in a 750 sq. ft. house with his girl friend, one toilet and shower his water usage for 2 months was billed at 126 M2 is this possible? The city said sorry check your toilet for leakage. We put food coloring in the tank couldn't see any water passing through, he hasn't used any outside water due to all the rain we have been getting.
26 M2 is normal for this period my question is it even possible for a toilet to pass 100,000 liters of water with no one noticing?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 PM

If you did the food colouring check in your toilet then make sure none of the taps are dripping.
Also have a look at the water meter see if that tiny little spinner is spinning make sure all taps are off.

Demand the town to remove the meter, and have them send it away for checks and varification.
You'd be surprised at how many water meters are out and giving false readings.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 PM

I had a $1600 water bill sent to me once. After some commotion they sent someone out to reread the meter and they discovered that the original meter reader had forgotten to add a decimal point.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:48 PM

I've had some calls where the client had a substantial water leak that really affected their bills. From what I understand if the repair invoice from a plumber such as myself details what the leak was and how it was fixed it can be used towards getting forgiveness from the utility. A recent one had one of the old-fashioned toilet tanks featuring a screw-on rubber tank ball guided by a brass rod; the rubber 'tank ball' that had completely disintegrated, the toilet was running full tilt for who knows how long as it was in their infrequently used basement washroom. I think their water consumption was in the $1400 range!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Me thinks you just experienced sex with the utility Co.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:25 PM

What part of Chestermere does your son live in?
Old 07-20-2017, 04:07 PM

I just experienced the same problem in Fort Saskatchewan and a quick look at social media shows that other people in the Fort got screwed too. The city installed a lot of new meters this year and there has been problems. I find it funny that all public works employees use the same excuse regardless of what village, town or city they work for. They all must go for training at the same place and learn how to pass the buck.

This is a good way to see if you have a leak or not. Take a picture of your meter with another phone in the picture to show the date and time. Do this right before bed and than take another picture in the morning of the meter and phone showing the date and time. Make sure you do not use any water during this period. If your water meter does not move overnight than you do not have a leak. If it did, start looking at the toilets. I email the pictures to the city and within hours they call me back to say it was a meter reading error and I got a refund.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:06 PM

Most water meters have a leak detector on the head
Make sure all taps are off and look at the meter head some are title triangles or small hands that will move with almost no flow to sowing there is a leak
Old 07-20-2017, 10:22 PM

Last year we had a slow leak in our irrigation system that cost us an extra 800. We were out of town for a good portion of it so I couldn't check. Utility company actually called and asked because the consumption went up, but we figured it was just the irrigation while we were away. We had a big enough leak to cause the huge bill, but no water in the basement or noticeable pooling outside.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:28 AM

Does it happen every month ,or just happened once.
Did he notice the nab ours pool was filled while he was gone for the weekend.