Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 PM

Im surprised how many people will tip even if they are being completly screwed. This isnt something most of us would deal with if it where our plumber or mechanic. So why on earth would you let the person who deals with your food get away with terrible service.

Also most servers now are servers because the tips are amazing. So if your unhappy i dont tip go get a new job
Old 07-16-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Pretty much quit eating out. In the last year the prices have gone up quite a bit. Probably keep going up.
We've done the same. The wife and I would rather cook at home. We often try different dishes, get ideas from the food network. Will try different wines etc., and we quite enjoy entertaining ourselves. No need for waiters, waitresses, bartenders or any of the like.

BW
Old 07-16-2017, 08:50 PM

The price of raw food has gone up substantially with our denuded dollar, restuarants seem to be a bit more expensive too. Which would be normal. My groceriy bills shock me and make me wonder how resturaunts seem to charge not a whole lot more than they did a few years ago.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
The price of raw food has gone up substantially with our denuded dollar, restuarants seem to be a bit more expensive too. Which would be normal. My groceriy bills shock me and make me wonder how resturaunts seem to charge not a whole lot more than they did a few years ago.
Yep for sure. The effects of a $15 minimum wage are far reaching absolutely. Touching many different sectors. Good point!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 PM

My youngest daughter works at a BP's, they have to pay the cooks a percentage of the tips and a penalty when they don't get one! It's real good incentive to get an education! Thank you BP's!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 PM

My wife & I ate out tonight at a well known chain. I gave a tip but only because I felt sorry for the waitress. The food wasn't great, was expensive & we will not go back. I realized that for what we paid we could have bought some really nice T-bones and a bit more. As prices go up, quality & service go down we will not go out as much. Simple economics & common sense.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Banned

So how many that won't tip based on level of service,
are the arrogant, everything is about me patron, who expects way too much out of their server?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 AM

Was at a Canada Day celeb in a pub in Australia (July 1 of course, ha) a few local folks I know were there. I layed a $20 down for 2 beers, $18, and I walked away, fellow I know who makes 6 digi income, grabs my $2 and says u forgot ur change.
I say "no, leave it for the girl", he says we don't do that down here. I say why not, he says they make $28 / hr serving, ugh, ok I'll keep my change next time, ha.

TBark
Old 07-17-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Yep for sure. The effects of a $15 minimum wage are far reaching absolutely. Touching many different sectors. Good point!

The part I dont get is why do some people get soo uptight about minimum wage earners getting more money? Heaven forbid some one making the lest amount of money possible gets paid more, haha.

Usually its people that make the usual 80-150k that most of alberta makes too whining away about how people that make a 1/3 or 1/5 of their yearly salary are getting a raise.

My employer gives out about 1.2 to 1.75 per year and that is just to keep up with inflation, then groups of us have had conversations about how minimum wagers getting 12$ an hour is outrageous,haha!!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 AM

What I can't figure out is how wait staff in restaurants don't kill some of the 'chefs' who put out terrible meals, the server takes the heat for it, gets no tip because of it.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
We've done the same. The wife and I would rather cook at home. We often try different dishes, get ideas from the food network. Will try different wines etc., and we quite enjoy entertaining ourselves. No need for waiters, waitresses, bartenders or any of the like.

BW
Same here. We rarely eat out anymore. IncrediGirl is even teaching ME how to cook!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
The part I dont get is why do some people get soo uptight about minimum wage earners getting more money? Heaven forbid some one making the lest amount of money possible gets paid more, haha.

Usually its people that make the usual 80-150k that most of alberta makes too whining away about how people that make a 1/3 or 1/5 of their yearly salary are getting a raise.

My employer gives out about 1.2 to 1.75 per year and that is just to keep up with inflation, then groups of us have had conversations about how minimum wagers getting 12$ an hour is outrageous,haha!!
Because there is something inherently ugly about government controlling every aspect of the lives of contributing members of society. Granted...it's something most sheep are used to and it doesn't bother them in the least to auction off the last bits of freedom in this country. (especially when it's other people's freedom)

If government knows how to run businesses so well, then let them compete with private business owners. Maybe you feel the NDP should be running restaurants, retail and grocery stores, but I don't.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 AM

If service is good, I tip more, but I always tip.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I suspect a good measure of the outrage can be explained simply by partisan(ism).
Another healthy dose can be attributed to "the insecure" who believe the best way to insure they remain afloat is to keep others down.
Of course, some marginal operations already finding it a challenge to make payroll will be in trouble if they don't change their business plan.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 AM

So Shane, you asked what my version of good service is, what is the level I think worth tipping for, here is a short form of it.

My definition of good service;
Hostess seats you, gives you menu and tells you the name of your Server.

Table is set, clean and chairs are clean also. Rug and floor are free of dropped food.

Server shows up with name tag, water and introduces themselves. The server is well dressed in clean clothes, bathed daily, hair combed with clean hands and no dirt under their nails. (Watch your servers closely and you will be amazed how many have dirty hands and unwashed clothes). Takes drink orders if you are ready.

Comes back when you have closed the menus to take orders – does not keep popping back while menus are ignored and customers are talking, or menu is still open being reviewed, to see if you are ready to order.

NEVER interrupts a customer conversation. Waits until addressed to speak.

Serves from the right and removes from the left. Does not reach across a customer to serve the person beside them unless people are seated in a booth. Then excuses themselves for reaching across in front of customer.

Ensures appropriate condiments, salt, pepper, hot sauce, ketchup etc and utensils are on the table prior to the meal arriving.

NEVER handles the silver ware by the food end, nor glasses and cups by the rim or interior. Ensures glasses and silver ware are clean before they go on the table.

Remembers who ordered what and serves it to the right person.

Returns within a couple of minutes to check on food, additional requirements. Notices if steaks are not as ordered or other deficiencies in the meal. Proactively deals with issues in a friendly and helpful way. Does not serve meals that are clearly wrong before they even leave the kitchen.

Keeps a close eye on the table to replenish water, coffee or check for more drinks. I don’t need to flag them to get another beer or a coffee refill.

Is there when you need them without you having to flag them and virtually invisible to the table while they are serving. However, they are actively looking around so they are easy to catch their eye if required.

Clears the dishes when diners are done but does not rush them.

Provides desert and after dinner drinks menu.

Does not provide the bill until it is requested or it is obvious guests are ready to leave.

They are NOT part of the dining experience, only a facilitator.

Most wait staff fall far short of meeting even half the level of good service. Taking the order, dropping the plate in front of me and collecting the bill is not good service, it is just barely doing your job.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:

You are way off on average Alberta incomes. Have a look around you at small town rural alberta and inner city's next time you are out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Here found this for you to compare....

Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Here found this for you to compare....

And for those with bad math skills; $15 an hour is $32,000 a year, with no overtime, so not all that far off the average for a lot of provinces. Pretty easy to near double your income with a few hours of OT every week. Don't call that being badly paid for jobs that don't require a lot of learning, education or deep knowledge.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
And for those with bad math skills; $15 an hour is $32,000 a year, with no overtime, so not all that far off the average for a lot of provinces. Pretty easy to near double your income with a few hours of OT every week. Don't call that being badly paid for jobs that don't require a lot of learning, education or deep knowledge.
Plus throw in the tips at lets say $50-$200 per day, average $125 or so, plus nobody that gets cash tips claims them as income so there is another $28,000 tax free (on average) based on a 225 day work year. All of a sudden you are at $60,000 per year.

Again I reiterate that pay should be based on value of service, not 'show your stuff and live on tips' as per so many scumbag bars and restaurants.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You'd have to work 26 hours of OT to double a 40 hour week's wages.

Do people working for min wage even have the option of OT?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:

It's why they are the working poor,
Those that have to work two or 3 jobs in order to make ends meet.

Do you not remember what it was like to work for minimum wage?

We've all been there.

No benefits, no paid sick days, no vacation.

Yup, getting paid minimum wage truly isn't a bad thing.

What gives anyone the right now that they earn twice or 3 times that, too look down on those that haven't ?

Not everyone has the same opportunities in life and not everyone has the means to advance themselves in similar a manner.

Also let's not forget that more and more wait staff are recent university grads who are working where they can , because there isn't jobs in their chosen study.

There are the working single mom's trying to make ends meet every month, because baby daddy, hasn't paid his child support payments in 6 months.

I'll tip my server.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I suspect a good measure of the outrage can be explained simply by partisan(ism).
Another healthy dose can be attributed to "the insecure" who believe the best way to insure they remain afloat is to keep others down.
Of course, some marginal operations already finding it a challenge to make payroll will be in trouble if they don't change their business plan.
Nope. You're way off.

It's a matter of right and wrong. The government has NO right to be telling business how much they HAVE to pay someone to work.

Oh, and I'm not outraged, not insecure, and I certainly don't want to keep people down...especially business owners that risk everything they have to try and make a living, only to have someone tell them they have a crappy business plan when the government starts dictating their expenses.

Talk about insecure people; when you have to put down a business owner for not having a good business plan to make yourself feel good about dipping into his bank account.

What's next? Are you going to accuse people that work for minimum wage of not having a good life plan?

Last edited by rugatika; 07-17-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM

I worked with a lady that was a waitress at one point at a local restaurant, and she said she never tips because she didn't get tips when she was a waitress. Knowing that a friend of mine worked at the same place and made some really good tip money there (along with other waitresses), I told this lady that she didn't get tips because she wasn't any good at her job. Well, she flies off the handle about how great she was at her job! Really? So why do other folks that work there get tips then? Some people are just to stupid to put two and two together and figure out what their customers want. I have a buddy that makes good tips being a waiter, and he has waitresses he works with upset with him because his tips are way more than anything they ever get, but he is in his fifties, and knows how to work for tips. In what world should somebody that doesn't work for their tips get the same rewards as someone that is busting their rump to make their customers happy?
Old 07-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Banned

The last time i worked at a restaurant was 2005,i was paid minimum wage,but did make tips and on some nights i made my hours in tip money. This was a part time job to fill a gap in employment.

that same place i worked at upped to $15.00 to keep and maintain the people they have,all the servers are part time,the restaurant is open 7 hours a day,the only staff that could be considered full time are the food prep people and i was never privy to what they made and i didn't ask or care. The owners are not happy with this increase but needed to act to maintain the quality they wanted,and yes they have used foreign workers when they needed.

Not all people making a minimum wage work 8 hour days or full time.

The owners have accepted this increase and have adjusted.

I still tip when i venture out.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Well now...after all that labour in the kitchen for you,
that is one great tip there for me sir..
Now I feel like all the other cheapskates.

OK, how much do you want?

Never mind, I got this, Here is $10.5 million. Enjoy.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Agree!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Nope. You're way off.

It's a matter of right and wrong. The government has NO right to be telling business how much they HAVE to pay someone to work.

?
Wrong. You are the one thats way off. The government has every right to set a minimum wage! And telling business that they have to pay it! And they are actually doing just that.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Nope. You're way off.
Oh, and I'm not outraged, not insecure, and I certainly don't want to keep people down...especially business owners that risk everything they have to try and make a living, only to have someone tell them they have a crappy business plan when the government starts dictating their expenses.
Talk about insecure people; when you have to put down a business owner for not having a good business plan to make yourself feel good about dipping into his bank account.
What's next? Are you going to accuse people that work for minimum wage of not having a good life plan?
This would seem to be the reality in Alberta. Until the present provincial government was elected,... "conservative" governments have been in power since province wide minimum wages were legislated in 1965. I guess it was the Soc Creds that introduced the legislation at $1.00/hr which was endorsed and increased many times over by the "conservatives" during their 40+ year reign.
Of course we all recall the doom and gloom forecast at the time of each of those increases BEFORE the NDP continued the "tradition".
Old 07-17-2017, 03:42 PM

I have worked as a server at an event hall, where no one tips EVER. I have been doing it only part-time on weekends, when I needed some extra cash for about a year or just over and only received a tip twice. One was from a very lovely elderly couple who gave me $20 (about 3.5 hours of work, if I remember correctly) and complimented on the service I have provided them with and that I am a wonderful individual altogether (their words, not mine ). The second tip was an American middle aged dude who went on and on for good couple of minutes how great he thought the service was and I had done an outstanding job. He gave me a US dollar bill, where he had written "First tip" and the date. I smiled and thanked him. I will not disclose what I thought about the guy at the moment though.

Of course, I was getting paid the minimum wage. Those who think this is an easy job, need to get their head examined and check with reality. This was definitely one of the hardest jobs I have ever had. And I did my fare share of hard labour, so I know what it is.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
This would seem to be the reality in Alberta. Until the present provincial government was elected,... "conservative" governments have been in power since province wide minimum wages were legislated in 1965. I guess it was the Soc Creds that introduced the legislation at $1.00/hr which was endorsed and increased many times over by the "conservatives" during their 40+ year reign.
Of course we all recall the doom and gloom forecast at the time of each of those increases BEFORE the NDP continued the "tradition".
Yes, just because businesses are able to adapt to socialist policies it must mean they are "good" policies. Wrong.

And you are correct to put quotation marks around the word "conservatives" when they enact and support socialist policies...because those are of course, anything but conservative.

Cut it any way you guys like it, but socialism has been shown over and over, the world over to be bad policy. Sometimes it destroys a country immediately, and sometimes it takes decades.

Why not clamour for government to set price controls for maximum wages as well? Maybe just implement an average wage for everyone? And why stop there? A government that can dictate how much a person can charge for their labour should surely be able to dictate how much a person can charge for a product.

$15/hr isn't even a living wage. Why not make it $20 or $25/hr if all it's going to do is weed out the "bad" businessmen?