Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
If you don't carry a firearm, not sure how anyone could stop you or suggest you were an accompanying hunter? Camp hand / pack hand maybe? but not a hunter.
Hard to say you were hunting as well even if you were carrying a rifle. No different than people hiking with a gun while on a fishing trip....
If I was a helper I would strap a rifle on my shoulders as well. Those buffalo have been known to get a little aggressive at times.. Nothing wrong with a little protection
Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

I just don't think the 7mm 08 is the best bet. What are your thoughts on that guys?

From my experience with over 50 buffalo, I would be absolutely confident with an accurate shooter using the 7mm-08 over any caliber that a person is hesitant to shoot.

A 140-160 grain bullet is fine. What is most important is shot placement. Photo bucket has my pictures hostage that I would like to share on this topic, we'll see if I can dig them out.

Spend some time with your daughter looking at bison, and the skeletal/organ structure. The spine is lower than most think, along with a huge gut that is more forward than our other critters. A common mistake is to shoot for the cape hairline margin when the front leg is back, this will result in a liver or gut shot. Shooting mid height will hit the top of the lungs.

It is time to shoot when the animal is broadside and the near leg is forward. Place the bullet LOW and Forward tight behind the elbow. Take out the heart.
If he shudders, the heart is broken.

Bulls tend to take time to die regardless of what they are hit with. Be patient and let them fall.

Then get it unzipped! These things gas up real fast.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-18-2017, 09:25 AM

Here they are....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bison skeleton.jpg (30.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Bison Skeleton Vitals.JPG (18.1 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg bison vitals 1.JPG (52.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg bisonstomach.jpg (89.3 KB, 214 views)

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-18-2017, 02:05 PM

Thanks Dale! Appreciate it
Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Great advice, WB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Oh, don't remind me...
Old 07-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Default Buffalo head

Any idea what a buffalo head mount would cost? I'm think from the neck to horns.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMaster101 View Post
Any idea what a buffalo head mount would cost? I'm think from the neck to horns.
My last one cost me $1500 - full shoulder mount!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMaster101 View Post
I think ours with the extra hide tanned was around 2100
Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Well my 12 year old 60 pound daughter is going to try and kill a 2000 lb beast. Any pointers or contacts would be great guys. I'm more excited to take her on this hunt than I am on my sheep hunt. Hope it goes well.
Cool Nube! Have fun and good luck.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Got mine last year, super crazy fun hunt. lotta miles boys
Old 07-19-2017, 12:45 PM

I Also Got Awarded A Tag For This Hunt And My Daughter Is Also 12 And Is Super Excited To Have The Chance To Harvest A Bison.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:00 PM

Fantastic! Hope you guys have a great experience.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Hard to say you were hunting as well even if you were carrying a rifle. No different than people hiking with a gun while on a fishing trip....
If I was a helper I would strap a rifle on my shoulders as well. Those buffalo have been known to get a little aggressive at times.. Nothing wrong with a little protection
Nube, Dad shot a nice Bull the first year they had the draw. He said the biggest issue was the Herd circling the downed bull after the shot. They had to wait until the herd left to retrieve the animal. Something to consider....oh and do pack some heat, really nice wolves in the Zama area.

Spruce
Old 07-20-2017, 03:17 AM

You two are going to have a great time! I shot my bison up there two years ago and it was a great experience. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions you may have.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsner Man View Post
We should try to make something work. I think having lots of eyes and help is a good thing for this tag.
More importantly when that beast is down many hands make light work.

Was up in Zama a few years back and four hunters took two bulls as the sun was setting, -20 and the wind blowing, 6 hours later we had both animals out...one bull went into the B&C book

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-20-2017, 06:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
From my experience with over 50 buffalo, I would be absolutely confident with an accurate shooter using the 7mm-08 over any caliber that a person is hesitant to shoot.

A 140-160 grain bullet is fine. What is most important is shot placement. Photo bucket has my pictures hostage that I would like to share on this topic, we'll see if I can dig them out.

Spend some time with your daughter looking at bison, and the skeletal/organ structure. The spine is lower than most think, along with a huge gut that is more forward than our other critters. A common mistake is to shoot for the cape hairline margin when the front leg is back, this will result in a liver or gut shot. Shooting mid height will hit the top of the lungs.

It is time to shoot when the animal is broadside and the near leg is forward. Place the bullet LOW and Forward tight behind the elbow. Take out the heart.
If he shudders, the heart is broken.

Bulls tend to take time to die regardless of what they are hit with. Be patient and let them fall.

Spot on, they stand, and as indicated above to the untrained eye you think you have missed, doesn't hurt to place another...or another...controlled well placed shots into the kill zone of the beast...they are big, everything is big when it comes to a bull.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-20-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I might even consider open sights... would hate for a young lady to wear a scar by her eye...
when at the range make sure she starts with her 7-08 that she is comfortable with for a few rounds before switching guns so she does not get gun shy before shooting a different bigger gun. A bigger caliber with a break will have less or the same recoil than her 7-08 if you have or can find one. don't want to ruin shooting in the future for her.

Good luck
Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Well my 12 year old 60 pound daughter is going to try and kill a 2000 lb beast. Any pointers or contacts would be great guys. I'm more excited to take her on this hunt than I am on my sheep hunt. Hope it goes well.

Congrats to her on getting a hunt of a life time! Wish you both nothing but success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Banned

Congratulations to you and your daughter.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:25 AM

That's a great hunt I have been lucky enough to be a helper on 2 bison hunts and both we killed big bulls and it's definitely an adventure.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2017, 08:49 AM

Phil if you want I have a 270wsm that has removable muzzle brake with the brake on it kicks like a 243. It shoots the 130gr ttsx very well. Which would be more than enough for a buffalo
Old 08-04-2017, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the offer
Old 08-04-2017, 11:26 AM

NWT regs say we have to use at least 30 cal ammunition.

Kinda crazy imo.......but them is our laws here

You guys and gals are gonna have SOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
NWT regs say we have to use at least 30 cal ammunition.

Kinda crazy imo.......but them is our laws here

You guys and gals are gonna have SOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can I kill one with a 7mm 08 ya think Tundra?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
You? I don't think so.

Your daughter, yes.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I don't see why not....although I don't think you have a Blaser in 7mm-08 so I'm sticking with the sauntering buff on this answer

Those were great bison pics WB thru out there.....crazy how low their hearts are. Same location as the musk ox. I knew it was low....just not "how low".
Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
You? I don't think so.

Your daughter, yes.
Yup you are correct. I wouldn't think of shooting that with her on my trip. Backup yes but she will be doing it all on her own if she can. I think it is possible but it still has me uneasy as well. The plan is to get her as close as possible and make one good shot. So far on other critters she has shot them perfectly. Her deer had a hole right through it's heart and her bear didn't move after she hit it.
I'v got some good intel from some great people wanting to help which I appreciate. We will be doing this hunt from Skidoo if we can. There are some big herds in the area we are headed and are not as skidish when in the bigger herds. The goal isn't for a big bull either. Just going for the experience and whatever we can make a good clean shot on
Old 08-04-2017, 02:18 PM

I've guided enough bison on a private ranch to tell u that the hide on em is heavy as hell and at the time of the year it will be at its heaviest. I've seen them shot with various calibers but I would lean to something heavier if your daughter can handle it. The 7-08 can do it but you are gonna have to wait for perfect presentation. If she can shoot that 338-06 decent enuff I would take that and load it with a stout 250 grainer of your choice. It will give u a little more room for error should the shot not be perfect. If u smack em threw the elbow they won't go far but keep pouring the lead to em until they fall. They can go a long ways even when hit good. I personally have had to shoot a few for clients that shot them way to far back and I used a 460 weatherby and 500 grain solids which is on the real heavy end but it put bison down about as fast as I've seen. Bison don't get grumpy until one is hurt or dead. Then you have to get the rest of the herd from beating the tar out of the downed one cause they will try and get him up and goin. And they do gas up real darn quick so field dress asap. I lol forward to seeing the pics of this hunt and wish you both the best of luck. They are beautiful animals and they are hard to beat on the table as well. If u get a bull that u need to cape the best knife is one of them extra heavy duty Olfa utility knives to make the incision down the back cause the hide is thick and the hair can be a 8-10" long.

Cheers

Gilly
Old 08-04-2017, 03:35 PM

Great info Gilly. thank u
Old 08-04-2017, 04:54 PM

I was able to get drawn a couple years ago. Fun hunt. I agree with gilly. A bigger gun would be best if she can handle it. You need a good backup gun with knock down power. It took me 4 shots with a 300wsm and if I didn't shoot it in the head it was gone. My shots were lung shots but they don't stop. There next level. If and if they go deep in the bush your in for a workout.