I only own 1 Mule. 5 5.05%
I own 2 or more Mules. 10 10.10%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_River View Post
heading out to pull some logs in

I liked seeing that one.

My dad logged with horses and mules when he was growing up. They had as high as 80 teams in the winter. He used to say that a mule was far smarter and stronger. They'd get a log unsnagged by themselves, for instance. But when it was 5:00, you could either take the harness off or shoot 'im. He wasn't going to take another step with that harness on. The next day, you could lead him back to that spot and he'd pick right up where he left off. So, he said you had to watch it and try to time it so you were at the landing right around 5:00 with a mule. Smart, eh?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 PM

Jack donkey to a horse mare you get a Mule

Stud horse to donkey jenny you get a Hinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
This thread is awesome I know mules can't breed but is it a stud horse has to breed a donky jenny or is it a jack has to breed a mare or does it matter.

I have a brood mare at home and a jack i'm hoping soon i can have a mule.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Sheep Nut.....

Interesting story on your mules past ! I didnt read them all. I knew your mules where from the deep south as I lived for quite a few years in Texas and went to all the mules shows there. The best harness mules where from the deep south. Thoses guys eat and sleep mules ! I hope you can post up some more photos of them come spring and spring works !

I have a line on a matching team mate for my mule Jim but then I will only be at 50 % mule power compared to you !! lol

How big are your mules ?

Dog_River

Ya I will post some pics when I get some plowing done. It's going to take a while to get these 10 acres done at 14" at a time, lol. I'm going to try and get s couple hours before work then a couple hours after. It'll be great practice for me with my 4 up. Then I will need to disc it and then plant. Mabey i'll get a crop in by fall, lol.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Thats the beauty of it.......... slooowwwww and eaaasssyyyy !! start smoking a pipe and I am sure that will help lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
Ya I will post some pics when I get some plowing done. It's going to take a while to get these 10 acres done at 14" at a time, lol. I'm going to try and get s couple hours before work then a couple hours after. It'll be great practice for me with my 4 up. Then I will need to disc it and then plant. Mabey i'll get a crop in by fall, lol.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Thats the beauty of it.......... slooowwwww and eaaasssyyyy !! start smoking a pipe and I am sure that will help lol
My wife asked why I can't start on something smaller, like our garden, lol. I told her that my outfit would be half the length of the garden and it's fenced on 3 sides!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 AM

I plow with a six bottom plow and with the tractor at a speed of just over 4 miles per hour. I can do 3 acres per hour, my shears are 16 inches. So by my calculations at around 3 miles per hour and one bottom you will have about 22 hours of plow time to do 10 arces. So if you average 5 hours a day about 4and a half days should do it. That would be an interesting project for sure.

Last edited by Horn Stretcher; 02-08-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn Stretcher View Post
I plow with a six bottom plow and with the tractor at a speed of just over 4 miles per hour. I can do 3 acres per hour, my shears are 16 inches. So by my calculations at around 3 miles per hour and one bottom you will have about 22 hours of plow time to do 10 arces. So if you average 5 hours a day about 4and a half days should do it. That would be an interesting project for sure.
For sure. I need to measure my plow but I think it's a 14 inch. The old boys say 2 acres a day, but that's with a team of three. I'll work each team for a couple hours and then put them together. My piece of land I'd in a triangle shape with a chunk out of one corner. I'm going to plow it from the outside working in. That will givp me 4 left turns and 1 right turn, which will bevery good for me and my team.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
For sure. I need to measure my plow but I think it's a 14 inch. The old boys say 2 acres a day, but that's with a team of three. I'll work each team for a couple hours and then put them together. My piece of land I'd in a triangle shape with a chunk out of one corner. I'm going to plow it from the outside working in. That will givp me 4 left turns and 1 right turn, which will bevery good for me and my team.
Hey buddy... Maybe I will have to bring my team over and give you a hand.. Lol
Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Hey buddy... Maybe I will have to bring my team over and give you a hand.. Lol
Thats awsome! I'll cut a section of harrow in half for ya, lol.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 PM

Default enjoy

just thought you guys may enjoy some mule art. I have this as my desktop wallpaper

Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
just thought you guys may enjoy some mule art. I have this as my desktop wallpaper

Thats a great picture....another southern harness.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 PM

I thought youd like that !

Dog_River
Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM

I am posting these for muleguy we had to do this the long way around so here is his pics. So muleguy you can fill us in on the rest of the info.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM

we need some spring updates !

Dog_River
Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 PM

well thanks again guys ... sure hope one day i get me a mule .. great pix great posts
Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM

Default wtb

I am in the market for another saddle/driving mule for my wife. 14 - 15 hands, gentle and broke. Let me know if you hear of anything.

Thanks, Dog_River
Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Jim in his new pasture

Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM

This has not been added to for a while and it's a great thread.

I built this Logging Arch and I use it for a carriage as well. Works awesome. I now have a bigger heavy duty front wheel that works and looks way better. I will use a pole for a team and the front wheel just drops off. I have it so the shafts and poles can change very easy. I have a trailer hitch at the rear for implements or trailer. For logs I have a bar with some chain hooks.

Sent this out for Thanks Giving Card

Last edited by Dog_River; 01-03-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM

Here's a couple of pictures of my team over the Christmas break. Horn Stretcher came over and we hooked up the sleigh.

I apologize to those of you on Pason as the pictures are quite large...

Old 01-04-2014, 10:10 AM

Nice team and I love your sleigh !

We should have an all mule AO field day somewhere..... someday ! (horse folks invited too)

Dog_River
Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM

It is a nice sleigh but I need something a little bigger for these girls. They don't really know this one is behind them.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 AM

keep me in mind if you are going to sell it.

Also I am in the market for a nice little riding mule for my wife if you anyone knows where one is. No more than 14-3, quarter horse type, quite, gentle etc. My wife is an accomplished horsewoman and has studied and rode her whole life so it really needs to be a quality mule. Molly or John does not matter.

Thanks, Dale
Old 01-04-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks for reposting this thread D.R. we have a bunch of new stuff to put up...I will see if I can remember how to do this. HL649 has a real nice mountain wagon we are hoping to try one time soon also, as little less snow would sure help.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Great pics! I love to see working teams.
Cat
Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker View Post
Bart with new rigging and saddle

This was the beginning of my itch.

Anyone know where this cabin is, it is somwhere around the south ram I think.

Another old picture.
Pretty sure that is the cabin just across from Sick Man's camp, Trapper Steve's Cabin is what we have always called it. But I have no idea who Trapper Steve is, beautifull little spot to take a break.

edit...
Im pretty positive it is now that I look at it again, he also has a really nice barn there that would be right behind the guy taking the picture.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:42 PM

cant wait !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn Stretcher View Post
Thanks for reposting this thread D.R. we have a bunch of new stuff to put up...I will see if I can remember how to do this. HL649 has a real nice mountain wagon we are hoping to try one time soon also, as little less snow would sure help.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 PM

This is our latest out of our stud jack crossed with a quarter horse mare. He was born mid june.... He goes by the name Tigger.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 PM

Decker and I spent a few days on the trail.... here he is riding Bart, a mule he had pictured earlier in this thread.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 PM

Decker leading his string out...Jack and Bart are packing, they did awesome, a real good string in the making.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:14 AM

Here are a couple pictures of my little guys this spring.

1st came Joey. He is from the smaller finer boned of the 2 mares. Something happened. He has big bone and big size. He is going to be a big solid mule.

Then came Twist. He had us a little worried because he stayed in his mom for an extra 17 days. Twist should have been the nice big beefy mule as his mom is a well built solid mare with big bone. Again something went wrong and he is the smaller of the 2 mules.