Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you own a mule?
I don't own any Mules. 84 84.85%
I only own 1 Mule. 5 5.05%
I own 2 or more Mules. 10 10.10%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2012, 09:15 AM

I think you both are actually right, it depends on the time of year how dry or wet the ground is. The hoof is softer if they are on wetter type ground it will also get harder if on dry ground. I know some of my mules can just about be done with my hoof knife and then later on the hoof will make a snapping sound when cut with the nippers, same mule. I also have found the donkey hoof is much softer than the mule as sheepnut says like rubber.

Sheepnut you use you mules alot on pavement dirt and rock. Have you ever had a mule get an abscess or stone bruise? Do you shoe just in case, or have you ever had one come up lame?

Last edited by Horn Stretcher; 01-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:31 AM

That does make sense. I usually only trim mule feet in the summer when there are quite dry conditions. That would make it seem like the feet are harder than the horses.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn Stretcher View Post
I think you both are actually right, it depends on the time of year how dry or wet the ground is. The hoof is softer if they are on wetter type ground it will also get harder if on dry ground. I know some of my mules can just about be done with my hoof knife and then later on the hoof will make a snapping sound when cut with the nippers, same mule. I also have found the donkey hoof is much softer than the mule as sheepnut says like rubber.

Sheepnut you use you mules alot on pavement dirt and rock. Have you ever had a mule get an abscess or stone bruise? Do you shoe just in case, or have you ever had one come up lame?
I've never had an abscess. I know that after 10 hours of rocky trail up the Findlay, they are hunting the grassy side of the trail or walking beside the trail whenever it allows. I know they get sore going that far. Once we get to camp they get a good break because we often hunt on foot for the first few days. After 18 hours by horse those hunters don't want to see a horse for a few days, lol.

I shoe them if i drive them in the mountains with the wagon and they spend their days crossing rivers. It they are on pavement or dirt I won't shoe anything. Only for lots of rocks. I have more horses to keep shoes on so its very nice to just saddle my mules and go.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Never had one of my mules take a lame step.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Sheepnut that is exactly what I do to. I used to pack shoes just in case but never had to use them. We went from toby to dewar twice never had a problem with the mules. I figure that if they could get through that then they should be good. But I am just not to sure how far to push it. We did have one horse slice the back of her foot off out there in fry pan creek so the rocks are sharp.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:03 PM

Just wanted to let you all know I/we sure appreciate the pictures. They're real nice. Makes me a little homesick, maybe, but thanks for going to the bother. The mule discussion is darned interesting, too.

Happy trails.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Just wanted to let you all know I/we sure appreciate the pictures. They're real nice. Makes me a little homesick, maybe, but thanks for going to the bother. The mule discussion is darned interesting, too.

Happy trails.
x2

Right on Rocky

And please keep posting those backcountry pictures. They are priceless.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM

this was taken at the trail head of obstuction lake with the entrance to whisker creek in the background. There is a mule in the left side of the pic. I am starting to run out of decent mule pis, I might have to start putting in some horse pics.

around mosquito flats.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 AM

crossing the river draining out of martin lake on the way to clearwater lake.

on the trail into clearwater lake.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM

I was talking with a friend the other day about what age to get the male mule casterated at. We get ours done at 4 to 6 weeks of age. We used to let some go longer but then alot of stud like traits would get ingrained in thier brain. They can be hard to get out especially if they think they are the boss. We usally get the vet to knock them so it is done proper. What are some of the thoughts that you other mule guys have on this?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM

I find that is quite vet specific. We have had vets tell us it should be done as soon as both testicles have dropped and we have had vets say they should be 1 yr. old before castration. I prefer the early the better idea as you said.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM

a scenic shot one of our trail rides last year

testing out a river crossing before I got into it with the pack string it had that real deep looking blue color in the water.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 AM

Default Sheep nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post

Here's a few for ya.
Boy! sure like the looks of the 4 abreast pulling the disc, are those your mules and is that at Tees. I have a fairly nice bay team myself that I bought last summer. Plan on doing some seeding with a 3 abreast this spring.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Here is a couple more that I like.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 PM

Just 1 more honeymoon picture.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Default Here my mule Jim from yesterday Feb 3/12

Going for a ride on a great day

[IMG][/IMG]

Jim with his new harness

heading out to pull some logs in

Old 02-05-2012, 09:32 AM

Nice mule dog river, I also like the harness, I see the headstall is synthetic so I would assume the rest is to. I have heard alot of good things about biothane harness. How do you like yours? I use biothane for the breeching on my pack saddles and really like it. Plus its cheaper than leather ones.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Yeah, nice mule Dog_River. I like the ride and drive aspect. How do you like the harness? I have a team harness made of Granite Biothane. It is definitely lower maintenance than leather and a lot lighter. I haven't got a mule broke to harness yet but I still have a few years left...
Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Default Thanks......

Thanks for the compliments guys !

Yes the whole rig is Biothane except the collar. So far the harness has been great. I ordered it from the states and it is supposed to me amish made. Good quality, I went with the brass hardwear. No maintenance except a damp cloth. The lines feel good in your hands as well. I have not had it long but am just about to order myself a new pioneer forcart through Alberta Carriage and hopefully put some miles on in the hills and do a bit of logging.

Jim is about 1100 pounds and 14.3. I am in the market looking for a nice quite match for him as well the wife can it. If you hear of any please let me know.

Thanks, Dog_River

Last edited by Dog_River; 02-05-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot something....
Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleguy View Post
Boy! sure like the looks of the 4 abreast pulling the disc, are those your mules and is that at Tees. I have a fairly nice bay team myself that I bought last summer. Plan on doing some seeding with a 3 abreast this spring.
Thank you
That picture was in our home town of Raymond before the rodeo. That's great your using your mules.I'm getting a plow ready now to hit my field as soon as the frost goes away. I need practice driving my 4up so I will put all 4 on the plow. Should be fun.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 PM

Default a few more

Jim

Jim

Jim

Jack

Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 PM

Sheepnut........... thats a damn nice looking team. I would love to see them work someday. Where did you get such a matching team and how about the harness ??

Dog_River

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
Thank you
That picture was in our home town of Raymond before the rodeo. That's great your using your mules.I'm getting a plow ready now to hit my field as soon as the frost goes away. I need practice driving my 4up so I will put all 4 on the plow. Should be fun.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_River View Post
Sheepnut........... thats a damn nice looking team. I would love to see them work someday. Where did you get such a matching team and how about the harness ??

Dog_River
Hey I like your mules too!

I got one team from Tennessee and one from Georgia. If you get bored one day Goggle "Cobb County Mules" and you can read all about the drama with them.There's 11 articles about that team. I've got lots planned for them this year.
As for the harness...it's the normal southern show harness. At the Columbia mule show you will see 50 teams in the arena at one time with this harness on. I really like it so I found 2 used sets and had them shipped up here with the last team.
I'm writing an article about this team for "Rural Heritage" soon.

I'm looking for another horse drawn mower if you know of one.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 AM

sure enjoy this thread ...
Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Sheep Nut.....

Interesting story on your mules past ! I didnt read them all. I knew your mules where from the deep south as I lived for quite a few years in Texas and went to all the mules shows there. The best harness mules where from the deep south. Thoses guys eat and sleep mules ! I hope you can post up some more photos of them come spring and spring works !

I have a line on a matching team mate for my mule Jim but then I will only be at 50 % mule power compared to you !! lol

How big are your mules ?

Dog_River
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_River View Post
Sheep Nut.....

Interesting story on your mules past ! I didnt read them all. I knew your mules where from the deep south as I lived for quite a few years in Texas and went to all the mules shows there. The best harness mules where from the deep south. Thoses guys eat and sleep mules ! I hope you can post up some more photos of them come spring and spring works !

I have a line on a matching team mate for my mule Jim but then I will only be at 50 % mule power compared to you !! lol

How big are your mules ?

Dog_River
Ya... thanks, I didn't know much about that stuff until a reporter from down there wanted info on where the mules were going. I still keep in touch with the lady that was taking care of them. She thanks me everytime for being the guy that bought her babies. She's so glad they went to a good home.

They are 16 hands and weigh around 1300-or 1400 I would say.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned

This thread is awesome I know mules can't breed but is it a stud horse has to breed a donky jenny or is it a jack has to breed a mare or does it matter.

I have a brood mare at home and a jack i'm hoping soon i can have a mule.

Last edited by huntin; 02-06-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Well i'm glad i clicked on this thread. I dont have any mules but I really enjoyed all the pictures of that high country. You guys are fortunate to be able to visit those places.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Have any of you mule owners ever heard of a curly mule? I have a child who is allergic to horses.

thanks,
I have seen curly horses they are ugly as hell
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
I have seen curly horses they are ugly as hell
BWAhahahahaha. You sound like some guys I know. Twisted.