Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Careful out there.

This is from today's Metro News.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...-parasite.html

An infectious disease expert from the University of Alberta confirmed Wednesday that a rare, and potentially fatal, new tapeworm has been found in four people in Alberta.

Echinococcus multilocularis is known in Europe but, until recently, had only been seen once in Canada—in Manitoba, in 1928.

But researchers from the University of Calgary’s veterinary school recently found tapeworms in hundreds of coyotes—and now, the infection has jumped to humans, according to Dr. Stan Houston, a professor of medicine and public health.

“This is obviously four cases in a population of four million, so it’s not a very common problem, and, of course I hope that it stays that way,” Houston told Metro. “But it’s an early stage of evolution, so it’s very important to monitor things closely over the next little while.”

“We also want to flag this to our medical colleagues because this is something you might not diagnose readily.”

Houston explained the parasite changes form depending on the host. It exists as a fairly harmless tapeworm in coyotes, dogs and foxes but becomes a dangerous infection in humans.

If left untreated in humans, growths will form on the liver and eventually spread, cancer-like, to other parts of the body, he said. It can be fatal in 10 to 15 years.

Of the four known infections in the province over four years, two cases were treatable with surgery. The other two people will be on medication for life, Houston said.

His team is working with pathologists to determine if there may have been other missed cases.

In the early stages the infection has no symptoms, so Houston said prevention is key.

Houston said those most at risk are those who have a dog or hunt, or are taking medication that suppresses the immune system.

If you know your dog could be eating rodents, who can also carry worms, a veterinarian should be notified to provide a specific dewormer. Any plants close to the ground should be washed thoroughly before eating, he added.

“It’s way too early to tell about how concerned we should be,” Houston said “I might never see another case but we won’t know for awhile.”
Editors' Picks
Old 07-20-2017, 02:05 PM

How is this transmitted from coyote to humans?
How is this transmitted from my vermin eating dog to me?
Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
How is this transmitted from coyote to humans?
How is this transmitted from my vermin eating dog to me?
I'd think skinning and handling a large volume of coyotes could do it.

Touching your vermin eating dog and not washing your hands could also be a possible way.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Banned

two links in the article could provide more information,i haven't read them yet.

http://www.metronews.ca/life/health/...orm-study.html

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/...-tapeworm.html
Old 07-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Someone's dog eats an infected mouse, craps in the dog park, your dog steps in it and jumps in your lap, you wipe your hands on your pants and then rub your nose, and the eggs are now in your gut.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-20-2017, 03:48 PM

So long as no one is telling us that we may not eat coyotes. My dog eats minty dog treats so it is sometimes hard to tell if she has rancid gopher on her breath. Not difficult detecting when she has rolled in it
Old 07-20-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Someone's dog eats an infected mouse, craps in the dog park, your dog steps in it and jumps in your lap, you wipe your hands on your pants and then rub your nose, and the eggs are now in your gut.
The usual route, transmitted in feces. Wife used to work in a lab, amazing how many worm infested patients showed up. College's African students were text books on feet.

Grizz
Old 07-20-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The usual route, transmitted in feces. Wife used to work in a lab, amazing how many worm infested patients showed up. College's African students were text books on feet.

Grizz
I once read a study on water bottles that children took to school. Feces was high up on the list of stuff found in or on plastic bottles.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Banned

Hmm, sounds like you guys are in potential trouble. I'll be just fine considering my consistent diet of extra spicy chicken wings and cask strength Scotch!
Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I once read a study on water bottles that children took to school. Feces was high up on the list of stuff found in or on plastic bottles.
Gotta quit filling them out of the toilet.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The usual route, transmitted in feces.
This is the highest risk for humans, feces contaminated with eggs. This tapeworm is a pretty common issue in Europe and they say the risk is highest for hunters and ranchers/farmers that are more likely to get exposed to the eggs. It's often transferred by canines (it's called fox tapeworm in Germany), but can also come from other animals like mice, which makes it an issue for most ranchers and farmers.
Home in Germany they said to make sure to clean every sort of berry and mushroom you pick growing close to the ground with lots of water to make sure any eggs get washed off in areas where the disense has been found.
Quite surprised this isn't a more common disease in Canada.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:32 PM

Add two tablespoons of Noromectin to your shampoo. 🤣
Old 07-21-2017, 08:50 PM

Side effects of Noromectin shampoo may include dizziness, neausea , rapid hair loss, temporary blindness and loss of libido. Rare and more serious case have shown fits of violent diarrhea and atrophied genitalia.
Ask your doctor today about Noromectin shampoo 😉