Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Handi capped hunting vehicle rule

Hello all, I have been hunting in Alberta for 20 years and now both of my knees need replacement due to a recent injury so I cannot walk while hunting any more until I get my replacement knees. So I called fish and feathers to see what my options are to hunt out of a vehicle. Get this I have to BUY A QUAD to hunt from an ATV if I want to hunt as you cannot use your truck to hunt from. This is absolutely the most stupid thing our government has ever put in place as far as I am concerned , how do I buy a ATV if I can't work??? This is blatant discrimination against disabled hunters, how do I try and provide for my family when I have to spend thousands to by an ATV just to put some meat on the table.

I am so frustrated ,sorry about the rant!

Goose
Old 07-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

A vehicle is a vehicle in my eyes really no different from truck or quad. I read the regs and could find information on off highway vehicle for handicapped hunting
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM

probably because you aren't permanently disabled, you can get your knees fixed and go hunting again. Where as someone who is actually permanently disabled would not. im assuming you aren't in a wheelchair if they are telling you that you have to use a quad. someone who is in a wheelchair might actually find this rant pretty offensive
Old 07-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Hello all, I have been hunting in Alberta for 20 years and now both of my knees need replacement due to a recent injury so I cannot walk while hunting any more until I get my replacement knees. So I called fish and feathers to see what my options are to hunt out of a vehicle. Get this I have to BUY A QUAD to hunt from an ATV if I want to hunt as you cannot use your truck to hunt from. This is absolutely the most stupid thing our government has ever put in place as far as I am concerned , how do I buy a ATV if I can't work??? This is blatant discrimination against disabled hunters, how do I try and provide for my family when I have to spend thousands to by an ATV just to put some meat on the table.

Goose
I think he may be misinformed on the vehicle as a permanently disabled person could use his truck but I doubt you would qualify based on what you are saying.

https://mywildalberta.ca/buy-licence...et-Jun2011.pdf

https://mywildalberta.ca/buy-licence...-A-Jun2011.pdf
Old 07-19-2017, 11:18 AM

Default think bucksman got it

Disabled implies permanently. My sister had a knee replaced last fall and is now more active than ever. My wife had hip replacement last year and now runs everywhere. When I required cataract surgery I was not considered vision impaired as surgery could fix it so was told I could return all my tags I was drawn for until after the surgery with out losing my priority for future draws.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Alberta just lost another hunter ,reat feedback, thanks for the support good bye won't be back to this website
Old 07-19-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Alberta just lost another hunter ,reat feedback, thanks for the support good bye won't be back to this website
I honestly feel bad for you. I would be upset too if I couldn't hunt, being disabled permanently or temporarily.

However you said : "...how do I try and provide for my family when I have to spend thousands to buy an ATV just to put some meat on the table"
I can absolutely guarantee you that "providing" for your family, as in meat, will be way cheaper if you buy it from the store. If you "have to" buy an atv to hunt and provide meat for your family then you math is way off. I am pretty sure I could buy a whole pig and process it myself as I would a deer or whatever and it would cost me a fraction of what a hunting set-up costs and atv on top of that.

Hunting is a privilege and a hobby for most of us, I don't think it's a right unless you're in a pure survival situation.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:24 PM

So the OP is all upset, because people took the time to explain why he couldn't shoot out of his truck?
Old 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So the OP is all upset, because people took the time to explain why he couldn't shoot out of his truck?
Appears that way, can't please them all.

LC
Old 07-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Shooting from a vehicle is a Federal offence, same in every province. I believe (not 100%) that OHV use is a provincial domain. Thus the CO was correct, and helped as He/She could. To get rights to shoot from a vehicle (Good Luck) would have to come from one of Trudump's employees.

spruce
Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Shooting from a vehicle is a Federal offence, same in every province. I believe (not 100%) that OHV use is a provincial domain. Thus the CO was correct, and helped as He/She could. To get rights to shoot from a vehicle (Good Luck) would have to come from one of Trudump's employees.

spruce
A friend of mine was in a wheelchair and had a permit to hunt from his vehicle.

Maybe the the trick here is to go to your MP and find out who to talk to Federally about a permit.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
I think he may be misinformed on the vehicle as a permanently disabled person could use his truck but I doubt you would qualify based on what you are saying.

https://mywildalberta.ca/buy-licence...et-Jun2011.pdf

https://mywildalberta.ca/buy-licence...-A-Jun2011.pdf
Quote:
Looks like weedy1 provided some great info,sorry it does not sit well with you.
Got cancer in Sept last could not make it out for the first time in 40 years
Sucks for sure, still struggling but maybe this year. Permanent would be the worst, yet are happy with anything they can do. I would.
If simply providing meat is the reason, hunting is usually not the best route.
Best of luck to you

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 PM

Drive to a field or clearing, park and sit...
If you get something you need to drive to it and/or get some help anyways.

If you can sit in a truck you can sit on a spot while hunting.

Sorry that's my take on it.

Herniated 2 discs in my back last September when I wrote off my truck and I couldn't dress myself. Still managed to hunt through all the pain. Mind over matter my friend. Sucks but you will find a way.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Banned

In BC if designated disabled , the hunter can get a permit from MOE to shoot from any motorized vehicle in any area that it is permissible to discharge a firearm or bow, as long as a letter of disability can be produced from a recognized MD,

*The motor has to be turned off,
*Vehicle must be parked,stationary
*The area must be legal to hunt/shoot

*And the disabled hunter must be accompanied by a able body adult capable of providing assistance to recover/ field dress any game harvested by permit holder
Old 07-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Goose
When hunting a certain area for mule deer I used to run into a pair of old guys that hunted from a truck. Actually only one the passenger was the shooter. The passenger shooter was a double amputee. Over the years I spoke to them a few times.. The landowner where I was said he always gave him permission and said that he had authorization to shoot from the truck.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
He failed to mention it's a black dodge dually.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:38 PM

Goose, if your concern is putting meat on the table and saving a $, go to the grocery store to buy your meat.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:24 PM

I think that goose is not so much concerned about meat, but he is frustrated that he does not seem to be allowed reasonable assistance so that he may participate.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 PM

Default temp permit

would he be able to apply through his DR or surgeon for a temp permit to hunt from his vehicle,does such a thing exsist ????? just curious
Old 07-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Is it possible to drive truck. Get out and sit on a chair. Can't shoot through a windshield very well so seems limiting to actually want to be in the truck...
Old 07-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Banned

I sincerely hope that none of you guys are in the same predicament that the OP faces.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:57 PM

If the OP had a permanent disability, he would likely have no issues getting a permit, but after his replacement surgery, he will likely get around just fine. For that reason, they only give permits to people with permanent disabilities.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 PM
Banned

It can take a long time to get booked in for such surgery. Go into a clinic's waiting room once for an appointment with a surgeon. You'll be in line behind a pile of people that need translators to discuss matters. In most cases, you cannot get both joints replaced at once. You have to get one done, fully recover and then get the other one done. That can take up to several years. Once again, I wouldn't wish that on any of you guys.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
It can take a long time to get booked in for such surgery. Go into a clinic's waiting room once for an appointment with a surgeon. You'll be in line behind a pile of people that need translators to discuss matters. In most cases, you cannot get both joints replaced at once. You have to get one done, fully recover and then get the other one done. That can take up to several years. Once again, I wouldn't wish that on any of you guys.
I understand where you are coming from, but the fact is that some people would get a permit, then have surgery, and then keep using that permit after their recovery. I don't think that they want to start issuing short term permits to prevent abuse, because of the extra work it would require. I lost two seasons due to health issues myself, one where I drew tags that I couldn't use, so I know how it feels to not be able to participate.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but the fact is that some people would get a permit, then have surgery, and then keep using that permit after their recovery. I don't think that they want to start issuing short term permits to prevent abuse, because of the extra work it would require. I lost two seasons due to health issues myself, one where I drew tags that I couldn't use, so I know how it feels to not be able to participate.
Well, I get your point as well. But what you're talking about is "abuse" of a privilege. Dear Lord, we know all of that too well. Yet, not everyone is an abuser. Unfortunately, the rules that have been set forth are meant to discourage the abuse of the system. Yet they affect those that are not abusers. What the heck are you gonna do?...your'e damned if you do and you're damned if you don't I suppose.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
He failed to mention it's a black dodge dually.
Huh? that's kind of an idiotic reply if you don't mind me saying so. The fellow is facing a predicament yet loves to hunt.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Well, I get your point as well. But what you're talking about is "abuse" of a privilege. Dear Lord, we know all of that too well. Yet, not everyone is an abuser. Unfortunately, the rules that have been set forth are meant to discourage the abuse of the system. Yet they affect those that are not abusers. What the heck are you gonna do?...your'e damned if you do and you're damned if you don't I suppose.
If they can issue a permit for a permanent disability why would it be such a hassle to issue a permit with an expiry date on it for a temporary disability? Providing, of course, the necessary medical data was provided?
Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
If they can issue a permit for a permanent disability why would it be such a hassle to issue a permit with an expiry date on it for a temporary disability? Providing, of course, the necessary medical data was provided?
I cannot answer your question hal53. However I do know that the caveat has to be temporary disability. As such, I have walked into my hunting spot using a cane in one hand and a rifle in the other. When I settled into my spot, a couple of guys in full camo gear drove by my spot in their pick up truck. Partly one of the reasons that I may just be done with hunting all together. Nice eh?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Is it possible to drive truck. Get out and sit on a chair. Can't shoot through a windshield very well so seems limiting to actually want to be in the truck...
That will be my plan if my hip gets worse.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 PM

Default What happens if you get an animal?

Not to be rude but I'm trying to work out the logistics of how you would deal with an animal that you downed and had to field dress... example
if you need the vehicle to shoot from how would you plan on dragging it out from where you drop the animal, deal with affixing the tag to it, gutting it and putting it in the vehicle with out getting out and walking at all or having someone with you to do all the fun work?

Why not have someone drive you into the area you want to hunt and then move your vehicle? Then you can sit in a ground blind or brush blind and hunt that way?

not trying to start a fight just trying to help you out so you can enjoy the privilege of hunting