Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
No tip for you.
I wouldn't tip me wither for getting it that far wrong.

Sort of my whole point in this thread about just doing your job, or doing the job in a way that has earned and deserves a tip.

Funny thing, haven't had any PMs from min wage earners wanting to know how to make $150,000 a year. I find that VERY interesting.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Sort of my whole point in this thread about just doing your job, or doing the job in a way that has earned and deserves a tip.

Funny thing, haven't had any PMs from min wage earners wanting to know how to make $150,000 a year. I find that VERY interesting.
Mistakes can be corrected as you did. That may not affect the tip.

And Ill wait for your book to come out.

Edit: Sometimes being thoughtful as to how and why one applies the tip is important too. Everyone makes mistakes.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If you were a waiter your mistake is equivalent to mixing up the vegan guy with the guy who ordered his striploin blue rare
GOOD one, I like it. At least I didn't give a snowflake with peanut allergies a Peanut Buster Parfait.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Do you have any pms from AO wanting to know your secret?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Nope. #151
Old 07-20-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Nope. #151
I don't make minimum wage but I did pm him out of curiosity. I'd like to find something to supplement my income on my days off. He had a couple good ideas. I'd like to work more in the winter and less in the summer.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I don't make minimum wage but I did pm him out of curiosity. I'd like to find something to supplement my income on my days off. He had a couple good ideas. I'd like to work more in the winter and less in the summer.
I would like summers off!!!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I would like summers off!!!
That would be ideal. Got any ideas?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
That would be ideal. Got any ideas?
Nope. There's that online marketing thing going on right now. Not sure if you've seen that. It's no scam either. I know people doing it.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Nope. There's that online marketing thing going on right now. Not sure if you've seen that. It's no scam either. I know people doing it.
I haven't seen it. Where would I go to look into it?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen it. Where would I go to look into it?
Before you laugh, it's all over Facebook.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:27 PM

I don't go on Facebook anymore, maybe I'll have to check it out.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Quite a few but none were min wage earners. All were guys interested in boosting incomes that are already pretty good.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
And of course the guy who's spent years in University to become a doctor (or some such) thinks it ridiculous that you get highly paid to do nothing but nail together a few boards...something any idiot can do.
There's always someone higher up the food chain who thinks you're overpaid for what you do.
But crap travels downhill, right...so I guess it's your right to crap on the servers.
Funny how you put it that way. I'm currently watching my neighbor, who thought any idiot could put nails into boards. He ripping his entire fence out and rebuilding it after 2 years, because it was falling apart. Not to mention how many poorly built structures I've seen not last 10 years because any idiot can do it. If anyone can do it, why do those doctors pay guys like me tens of thousands of dollars to build their houses? Why do billionaires like Daryl kats pay dummies like me $600m to build their arenas for them? I'm not offended by your comment, I'm very proud to be a tradesman, not everyone is capable of the things that I am, and visa versa. But to say that all minimum wage workers are worth $15/hr is a terrible error in thinking, and it will cost us all much more just to pay for day to day items. Also, to be fair, if a minimum wage worker is worth more, and has made themselves valuable to the employer, more than likely the employer is willing to pay them $15/hr or more anyways.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotebutcher View Post
Funny how you put it that way. I'm currently watching my neighbor, who thought any idiot could put nails into boards. He ripping his entire fence out and rebuilding it after 2 years, because it was falling apart. Not to mention how many poorly built structures I've seen not last 10 years because any idiot can do it. If anyone can do it, why do those doctors pay guys like me tens of thousands of dollars to build their houses? Why do billionaires like Daryl kats pay dummies like me $600m to build their arenas for them? I'm not offended by your comment, I'm very proud to be a tradesman, not everyone is capable of the things that I am, and visa versa. But to say that all minimum wage workers are worth $15/hr is a terrible error in thinking, and it will cost us all much more just to pay for day to day items. Also, to be fair, if a minimum wage worker is worth more, and has made themselves valuable to the employer, more than likely the employer is willing to pay them $15/hr or more anyways.
I think you missed the sarcasm bobtodrick was attempting there.
or I am missing yours.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
I think you missed the sarcasm bobtodrick was attempting there.
or I am missing yours.
Yeah, I think he missed it 😉
Old 07-20-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Why would they do it themselves when they could be golfing, fishing, in Arizona or working making crazy money? Isn't that the point of being a rich doctor or Darryl Katz? Life is short, I can think of better things to do than smashing my fingers with a hammer if was stupid rich.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think he missed it 😉

think he did

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Don't see anq less servers in the places I frequent. Alberta always had far higher restaurant prices than B.C, Sask or Man and we still do. Service hasn't improved but you also don't see help wanted signs in every restaurant window.

I rarely tipped before and now I never tip. How many of you are still tipping regualrly, seeing as how the servers are now well paid?

WOW $15 is well paid??? How many of us here could afford our lifestyle on $15/hr??? I bet you're a real joy to deal with IRL.

I tip based on service, always and very well and I don't micromanage it. If my tab was $18-$19 and the service was good I won't hesitate to throw down $25.

What goes around comes around, and if I can afford guns and outdoor gear/lifestlyes then I can afford to not be a dick when somebody is bringing me my food. Unlike you, I don't think I'm better than servers, or anybody for that matter.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 AM

tipping is customary, being a good server is not easy-nor is $15 per hour a lot of money.

we always tip, less when service is marginal.

some (some) restaurants are subsidized by servers parents-not cool Imo

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I understand that tipping is an expected part of dining and I am one who tips well over 90% of the time.

It is expected but not mandatory so another alternative that I understand is dine out and don't tip. simple. LOL

And I'm not saying you must tip all the time. If the service is poor and it's clearly the server's fault, walk away with nothing on the table. But if you get good service, tip.

I wonder if the "no tip" guys here would stiff their hunting guide?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
And of course the guy who's spent years in University to become a doctor (or some such) thinks it ridiculous that you get highly paid to do nothing but nail together a few boards...something any idiot can do.
There's always someone higher up the food chain who thinks you're overpaid for what you do.
But crap travels downhill, right...so I guess it's your right to crap on the servers.
LOL I can't even nail boards together and I been averaging around $800/day (post expense, pre-tax) hauling garbage, GARBAGE! all summer so far... and that's barely working 8 hours per day.

Who's the real idiot?

Excuse me now, I'm off to the post office to pick up my new .308 for this upcoming hunting season.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
WOW $15 is well paid??? How many of us here could afford our lifestyle on $15/hr??? I bet you're a real joy to deal with IRL.

I tip based on service, always and very well and I don't micromanage it. If my tab was $18-$19 and the service was good I won't hesitate to throw down $25.

What goes around comes around, and if I can afford guns and outdoor gear/lifestlyes then I can afford to not be a dick when somebody is bringing me my food. Unlike you, I don't think I'm better than servers, or anybody for that matter.
Completely agree with you here.
I get paid pretty well (though I've a ways to go before I reach $800/day ). Part of that is because I've built a good clientele who trust me because I've been fair.
Why would I quibble over a tip. Never been a server myself, but have had friends who have...if you're good it isn't as easy as many here think. You have to be a diplomat, courteous, and have patience to spare...just think of dealing with 1/2 the people on this board.
What goes around comes around...but now we're getting into philosophy, which takes the discussion to a whole new level.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Completely agree with you here.
I get paid pretty well (though I've a ways to go before I reach $800/day ). Part of that is because I've built a good clientele who trust me because I've been fair.
Why would I quibble over a tip. Never been a server myself, but have had friends who have...if you're good it isn't as easy as many here think. You have to be a diplomat, courteous, and have patience to spare...just think of dealing with 1/2 the people on this board.
What goes around comes around...but now we're getting into philosophy, which takes the discussion to a whole new level.
Philosophy is cool though, that's when it gets interesting and pointless at the same time lol
Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 PM

Tipping wait-staff is customary because they earned less than minimum wage. That's right, they made less than minimum wage. The tips were to subsidize the fact that they were in this position. As of last year wait-staff now earn minimum wage. So what are we subsidizing them for?

How many of you tip at the gas station? Why not $15 (yes I know, not $15 until next year) isn't much? Do you tip the gas jockey and the person at the till? If you aren't, the guy at the till takes 5% from the jockey, so you really should. How many leave tips at Wal-Mart? I would imagine the majority by this thread.

Wait-staff now make much, much more money than any other minimum wage position. On top of that, how many are cheating the tax man at the same time? A vast majority here would rail against tax fraud; yet they support likely the largest tax-fraud in the country.

Another thing that really irks me about tipping is why when you eat at a hole in the wall and have great service I would give that server a $2.55 (20% on $17) tip and should feel generous. Then some yahoo drags me to The Keg and for some reason the person doing the same amount of work deserves $6.60 (20% on $33). Why is that? In all honesty, the hole in the wall probably had better food an service. The atmosphere would be much better too. It seems to me, that throwing dollar bills at attractive women should happen at a different type of establishment.

Why 20%? Where did that come from?

For the record I have never left a $2.55 tip. I will tip a minimum of $5. On very, very few occasions I have not tipped at all. I just really don't believe in it is all. For the record I try not to eat in restaurants much on my own time. Work has me eating in restaurants and my employer always leaves 20%, with a minimum of $5.

How about barbers. How many tip their barbers? I always leave a $5 tip for my barber on the interac machine and I always feel guilted into it. When did it become customary to tip a barber; and why?

Last edited by HyperMOA; 07-21-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Why would they do it themselves when they could be golfing, fishing, in Arizona or working making crazy money? Isn't that the point of being a rich doctor or Darryl Katz? Life is short, I can think of better things to do than smashing my fingers with a hammer if was stupid rich.
Fair enough arguement, but I feel that the 12+ years they spent in school and their 18 hour days and on call time, my life equals out in the pleasure and freedom I've attained. They get Palm Springs estates and people whining about rashes, I get to build my own house and cabin and as much hunting time as I want. I think they equal out in the end
Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Tipping wait-staff is customary because they earned less than minimum wage. That's right, they made less than minimum wage. The tips were to subsidize the fact that they were in this position. As of last year wait-staff now earn minimum wage. So what are we subsidizing them for?

How many of you tip at the gas station? Why not $15 (yes I know, not $15 until next year) isn't much? Do you tip the gas jockey and the person at the till? If you aren't, the guy at the till takes 5% from the jockey, so you really should. How many leave tips at Wal-Mart? I would imagine the majority by this thread.

Wait-staff now make much, much more money than any other minimum wage position. On top of that, how many are cheating the tax man at the same time? A vast majority here would rail against tax fraud; yet they support likely the largest tax-fraud in the country.

Another thing that really irks me about tipping is why when you eat at a hole in the wall and have great service I would give that server a $2.55 (20% on $17) tip and should feel generous. Then some yahoo drags me to The Keg and for some reason the person doing the same amount of work deserves $6.60 (20% on $33). Why is that? In all honesty, the hole in the wall probably had better food an service. The atmosphere would be much better too. It seems to me, that throwing dollar bills at attractive women should happen at a different type of establishment.

Why 20%? Where did that come from?

For the record I have never left a $2.55 tip. I will tip a minimum of $5. On very, very few occasions I have not tipped at all. I just really don't believe in it is all. For the record I try not to eat in restaurants much on my own time. Work has me eating in restaurants and my employer always leaves 20%, with a minimum of $5.

How about barbers. How many tip their barbers? I always leave a $5 tip for my barber on the interac machine and I always feel guilted into it. When did it become customary to tip a barber; and why?
If it grieves you so much...don't do it.
Just got a haircut today...tipped him $5 and it didn't bother me at all.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:55 AM

I'm 51 this year. Been giving the barber a tip since my teens and it was the norm then. It's no new thing.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I have seen contactors do horrible jobs and good jobs and great jobs. You have seen do it yourself crap jobs, good jobs and Excellent jobs.

Some jobs require true skill. Others patience, common sense, patience and extra time.

What separates using contactors sometimes and not others is if your time is more valuable to you than the savings.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I'm 51 this year. Been giving the barber a tip since my teens and it was the norm then. It's no new thing.
I know, but why?