Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 AM

Default New to Baitcasting

Hello there,
I'm brand new to this baitcasting style, only ever used spinner reels in the past, plan on buying a new setup this week or next week, my plan is to get the Ugly Stik Elite Medium 2-Piece 6'6" at Canadian Tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ug...5312p.html#srp (I live in Fort Mac so thats all we got) I mainly want a 2 piece for the quad, the only thing I'm having an issue with is the "gear ratio" with these castor reels, does it make that big of a difference? I plan on fishing the Athabasca River for Walleye and Goldeye. Just looking for a little input from experience guys on this, thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 AM

My advice - stick with a spinning reel.

I see no advantage whatsoever to a baitcasting setup for your application, just a steep learning curve, lots of frustration, and most likely, disappointment.

Others may disagree, but for the application and species you're talking about, the spinning setup is the way to go IMHO.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:00 AM

The gear ratio is a big deal to bass fisherman who are looking to crank largemouth out of thick weedbeds as quickly as possible. I would stay away from either end of the spectrum (low or really high ratios) and stay somewhere in the middle. I have a Abu Garcia Revo S that has been a decent reel. Definitely do not cheap out on the baitcaster reel. Cheap ones are a lesson in frustration and backlashes. Look for a good magnetic braking system to help with that.

I will also throw in my two cents that if you are fishing for walleye and goldeye you are probably better served with a spinning set up. The advantage of a baitcaster to me is the drag system and line coming straight off the spool for less twist when the drag is in use. It's probably better used for pike or lake trout where they make the big runs. You won't see any pro walleye fisherman using baitcasters. They may have level wind linecounter reels on their trolling rods.

SS

ETA: Walleyedude beat me to it!

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
You won't see any pro walleye fisherman using baitcasters.
I don't believe that. If true they are missing out.

Baitcaster works better for trolling crankbaits and bottom bouncers.

I agree for fishing the river for walleye and goldeye probably best to stick with a spinning rig especially if you use smaller spoons/spinners for goldeye.

If you just chuck bait then a baitcaster would be beneficial as I prefer them for that but they don't work if you are tossing any little lighter lures like spoons, spinners, jigs etc.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I don't believe that. If true they are missing out.

Baitcaster works better for trolling crankbaits and bottom bouncers.
As I said, they use line counter level winds for trolling crankbaits but not the typical low profile baitcasters that bass fisherman do. I suppose you may find a few that run them for bouncers but I would hazard that low profile baitcasters are used less than 10% of the time for pro walleye fishing, and that is being generous.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 AM

As someone who also just started using a baitcaster this year, I have to say I love it. I prefer it to my spinner setup all day long. But I'm also fishing mostly pike and trout.

Definitely don't cheap out on the reel. Me and my buddy both got our setups at the same time. I went with the Quantum Accurist PT. the gear ratio is 7.0:1 a bit fast but not too bad. My buddy went with a much cheaper one with only magnetic brake and has had nothing but problems and gave up. I recommend something with the dual brake system, both magnetic and centrifugal, it really helps dial it in and prevent backlash. And with some practice, you can actually cast some pretty light spoons and spinners without backlashing.

Lots of practice and some patience. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-19-2017, 10:05 AM

I've been using baitcasting reels for many years now and I find it way better than spinning most of the time.

Disadvantage of bait casting: hard to learn, can't cast light lures, expensive

Advantages: Much better cast control for targeting structure (better side to side and cast distance control), better gear ratios, tend to hold more line, better drag system, and easier to impart action and control your lure.

Advice: Don't cheap out on the reel, a bad reel will keep messing you up. Start with cheaper line.

Gear Ratio: If you are targeting very large fish or deep diving cranks (over 16ft) I would use lower gear ratios like 6.4:1 or even lower. But for most cases, modern baitcasters have a lot of power even the 7.1:1. With a higher gear ratio you can slow down your retrieve, with lower gear ratio it is hard to turn your hand faster. 6.4:1 is a safe bet for every kind of fishing. I use 7.1:1 just because I like the extra speed, and I don't do much deep cranking.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the input, good to know about the difficulty with light lures, I do plan on fishing pike as well, I'll be keeping the spinner on me at all times, as for the learning curve I'm always up for a challenge
Old 07-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_lat View Post
Thanks for all the input, good to know about the difficulty with light lures, I do plan on fishing pike as well, I'll be keeping the spinner on me at all times, as for the learning curve I'm always up for a challenge
The learning curve isn't that bad. I picked up some practice weighs 1/4 oz and 3/8ox and spent a couple days with those before going out. I've had one bad backlash on the lake since using the baitcaster. Like everyone is saying, don't cheap out on the reel, it will make all the difference.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
My advice - stick with a spinning reel.

I see no advantage whatsoever to a baitcasting setup for your application, just a steep learning curve, lots of frustration, and most likely, disappointment.

Others may disagree, but for the application and species you're talking about, the spinning setup is the way to go IMHO.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
As I said, they use line counter level winds for trolling crankbaits but not the typical low profile baitcasters that bass fisherman do. I suppose you may find a few that run them for bouncers but I would hazard that low profile baitcasters are used less than 10% of the time for pro walleye fishing, and that is being generous.

SS
Some use baitcasters for jigging spoons and blade baits(I also use em). Well suited for that. Also, bottom bouncing, trolling and casting cranks. And with all the metered lines out there, they do pretty good in place of a line counter.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:38 PM

I only own baitcasters and fly rods. Unless you're doing ultralight, baitcasting is IMHO way better. More control, more drag, more line cap (for some models). It's hard to learn, and everyone messes up and gets a birds nest once in a while. Just stick to it, it'll be frusterating as hell, but watch a few YouTube vids and practice! Good luck!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:

SS
Gotta convert them!
Also I buy JDM baitcasters on eBay, cheaper price for higher quality and unique reels for sure. All shimano!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:06 PM

My father only used baitcasters, and taught me, some 50 years ago. I still use them today, along with spinning reels. Each has their place.

For me:
Baitcasters are for unbeatable for trolling and downrigging for line weights 8# through 30#. I also use them exclusively for casting for big lakers in the spring, and year-round for big northerns. Baitcasters are by far the most finicky reels I have ever used, and the learning curve is steep. The reel settings need to be re-visited with almost every lure change due to lure weight and lure wind profile. Once you have mastered that, it is almost automatic, and I do it without thinking. Finally, you can get away with a cheap spinning reel, and it will not get you (at least not right away). A cheap baitcaster is garbage from the get go. I own 6 Abu Garcias, 5000, 5500, 6500 models, and we also have 2 Bass Pro Shops Tourney Specials. I prefer the Abus. Another item, clean and oil the reel after every use, and back off completely on the drag and the free spool. The reel will last forever.

Vic