Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Default Willmore Pack Horses - Rock Lake

Good afternoon,

I know there are several older threads similar to this... but I am looking for any current information anyone can provide. Myself and 4 other hunters are looking to head into Willmore, specifically Rock Lake to Seep or Carson and are looking to hire packhorses to haul our gear in.

We are committed to specific dates and as such our original plan to use Horseback Adventures (Tom Vinson) has somewhat changed. He is already committed to the day we would like to go in - but is able to take us out (if not booking a round trip with someone else). So... we are looking to see if there is anyone else that is recommended. I have contacted U Bar, Sherwood Park Outfitters and a few others that are no longer doing this. Suggestions?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 AM

There is a string that operates out of Rock Lake Lodge, but I'm not sure if they operate under one of the names you've already mentioned. Email the lodge (telephone can be spotty) and try them. Good luck. That's a hunt that's on my list.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:46 AM

I think there's a guy named Larry Delorme who outfits out of Rock lake.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:50 PM

Monty Groat will pack you in I cant remember pricing but this site might have more info

lazyvu.com
Old 07-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
Thanks for the info!
Can anyone comment on the condition of the road into Rock Lake?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceTitan View Post
Can anyone comment on the condition of the road into Rock Lake?
I might be able to take you in with a wagon if the road to your destination will allow that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2017, 11:26 PM

Carson and seep creek are about 3-4 hour hike , from rock lake . I'd save my cash and walk in and spliit your gear up between the 4 of you ??
Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Carson and seep creek are about 3-4 hour hike , from rock lake . I'd save my cash and walk in and spliit your gear up between the 4 of you ??
completly agree I must have missed reading where you were going. You have to go up and down one hill and across a river and thats pretty much as difficult as it gets. Even if you are packing heavy i would wear a pack and tow a game cart its an easy walk.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:11 AM

Default Pack in

Hi - yes we are very well aware of both the distance and easy of the travel in. This is our one group trip per year and we like to be comfortable - wall tent, stove, great meals and an après hunting cocktail or two... this means horses. I have spent far more than my fair share of time sleeping in tents, on the ground, under boats etc that I would like this trip in particular to be as great as possible. If that mean paying a bit - I am happy to do so.

Given life's other priorities (spouses, kids, weddings, jobs etc) our time was limited to a week. We have been talking about making it up to Wilmore for some time and decided to pull the trigger - I am painfully aware of the size of the park and how little we are going to see in one week. After speaking to a few individuals we decided on this area for the following reasons: Eagle's Nest can apparently be quite popular (Busy), Carson area offers a lot to explore (including Seep), it is close enough to have the wranglers take us in (and out) in 1 day (given we only have a week, each day riding is one less hunting). SO: this being said can anyone offer any further advice on the area or possible other suggestions on location (feel free to PM) I should also note that no one in our group pulled a moose tag - we will be full general (WT, Muley, Elk and Sheep).

I sincerely appreciate any and all suggestions

Regards,