Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM

Default Bears around Peace River

I am going to be in Peace River for work from the 20-23 of may,just wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction.I would like to hunt bears in the evenings.I was thinking of taking the ferry to the south side of the river and hunting towards Tangent but I'm not sure if there's any crown land there.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 04:33 PM

bullwinkle

You can head north of Peace River (45-60 minutes) and get into the Sulfur Lake area. Good spot and stock there. There is a wildlife coridor up there that you will have to be careful with. You could go further North up to the Chuchunga area. Heard that there is great bear hunting up there. Never been that far north myself by may take a day while we are baiting the coming week to do some spot and stock up around there.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Marco
Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 PM

I'd suggest heading NE of Peace on the Pulp Mill Road. Ive see lots of bears at the gate, (km 54?) and there are a few good cutlines around Km 34 to 40. Check out the beaver ponds on the east side once you are over the second caddott bridge. Might be a bit of a haul for after work hunting, but its all crown land. Just remember that the road is a wildlife corridor up to the gate so make sure you are a good 400yds off the road. If ya happen to make it up there do us Moose hunters a favor and smoke a few dozen Wolves!!! They really screwed up last years hunt.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:55 PM

chinchaga is a bit of a haul from peace river. i've been seeing quite a few bears at work and out fishing near bay tree. most of it is crown land but you'd be close to the bc border so be weary of that.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Tanget

There is a provincial grazing lease across the ferry near Tanget. It runs along the river valley. Should be good to go for bears.

Same with the other areas the other posts mentioned.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle View Post
I was thinking of taking the ferry to the south side of the river and hunting towards Tangent but I'm not sure if there's any crown land there.
Thanks
Yes there is. Farmers own most of the “flat land”. If you find a road on the edge of the river banks, that would be crown land. Walk the river banks and you could easily see a bear and a lot of mule deer. If you can stop in Tangent for the MD/County ownership map, you’ll see where the crown land is exactly.

Call of the Wild
Old 05-14-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks for all the help guys,I'll let you know how I make out!