Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Default Yes them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I'd like one even when running saw. Trust the gun more than the saw. Who knows what kind of whacky things you'll run into.

With my luck, it would be one of them hippy guard bears, so messed up it doesn't even hear properly!
Ya know, it’s not a stupid idea this year.

Our valley has several bears busily habituating themselves you humans as a good source.

Fish cops aren’t keeping up with the numbers we’re getting.

Also lots of rookie campers leaving stuff out in the bush.

All we need is Yogi to snack down some hippie’s edibles.....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-06-2020, 03:27 PM

Have the pepper spray when I go out but I have brought my rifle once when my friend and I went out west by the Ram with her 4 little girls. I don't take chances in remote areas, whether it be furry or human predators. Ima gonna drill em to protect those kids.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:44 PM

sure do!
Old 07-06-2020, 04:04 PM

Come summer, I have a shotgun in/on every outfit I own, right down to the lawnmower, 'cause I can't abide snakes.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Just the 30-30 when I’m going way in to hang a game can or 2.

Not sure ya need one if your running a saw.....that’s have to be one goal oriented bear.
The saw doesn’t run constantly.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2020, 08:48 AM

But it sure makes a noise when it does. Try starting one up, check out that noise it makes.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
But it sure makes a noise when it does. Try starting one up, check out that noise it makes.
I’ve been logging since before I was 10. I’m well aware of what a saw sounds like. But thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2020, 09:32 AM

I don't always, but typically have spray and a decent knife on me.

Even on the farms that I spend time on, the large predators have been getting more prevalent.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:36 AM

My boy used to pack one .. in the winter .. for hunting Christmas trees.

But now it's prohibited and he is a criminal.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:04 AM

Always have a firearm when I am out in the woods on foot.
Bear spray as well when they are out and about.
Better to have and not need than to need and not have...

Old 07-07-2020, 10:11 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’ve been logging since before I was 10. I’m well aware of what a saw sounds like. But thanks.

You’re welcome

Proportional response.... jus like I said.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Fordtruckin if you happen to own a popular caliber that was used in a crime and you were in the area are they not going to just charge you ?
All that CSI stuff you are talking about I'm guessing would take years to get in Alberta. If you had to hire a lawyer and go to court it would be very expensive .
Dicvk284 Some people dont have much going on so sometimes they make up stuff to try to bring others down. Example you shoot a big elk and instead of being happy for you they make up lies about how and where the elk was shot. You know the type.
As for the enemy, dont hire a local person unless you are sure of them because if it turns out he is on drugs and stealing from you and you fire him then thats how you make enemy's. Say that guy hunts on forestry next to your cows. Makes things uncomfortable.
First I don’t carry in the summer unless I want to target shoot.

Second W921 you are being paranoid I know a lot of people across Canada that carry every time they go in the bush. Not one has ever experienced a single issue similar to what you are suggesting. The common questions when crossing paths with a CO or LEO and then on their way yes but nothing else

Some of my buddies are covered in tattoos and can’t stop swearing when they talk even though they are honest average people they don’t look like it. If anyone was going to be wrongfully harassed they would be prime targets
Old 07-07-2020, 04:14 PM

Depends the season, but usually. On wkds with gorbies running wild with their pitbulls my bird dog won't ever have to worry.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:09 PM

I bought a 12 gauge rem defender to carry in the bush. But I found it is heavy and generally leave it at home. Be nice to find something powerful but light,
I carry two cans of bear spray and have a loud boat horn for thick bush.

I once tied a goat bell to my ankle and it made a racket. Walked upon a deer that was sleeping so much for the bell.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:58 PM

Default No.

Always feel weird if I've been rifle hunting and then go back to bow or in the woods at the end of the season without my rife again, you get used to it. Now I mostly bow hunt but enjoy the ritual of the rifle as well. But in general a gun is too heavy, and not as effective as bear spray: https://above.nasa.gov/safety/docume...vs_bullets.pdf

" Law enforcement agents for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have experience that supports this reality -- based on their investigations of human-bear encounters since 1992, persons encountering grizzlies and defending themselves with firearms suffer injury about 50% of the time. During the same period, persons defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time, and those that were injured experienced shorter duration attacks and less severe injuries. Canadian bear biologist Dr. Stephen Herrero reached similar conclusions based on his own research -- a person’s chance of incurring serious injury from a charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear spray is used."
Old 07-07-2020, 08:58 PM

Where my wife and I usually walk our dogs I regularly find bear (black, though grizz are around too), wolf and cougar tracks, yeah, I pack iron. What I pack varies, mood pending / if I want to target shoot.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Just the 30-30 when I’m going way in to hang a game can or 2.
Not sure ya need one if your running a saw.....that’s have to be one goal oriented bear.
Was cutting away last spring and had 2 bull bison walk within 20' of me. Caught me off guard as I just saw something brown move in the corner of my eye. Definitely filled my shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Fordtruckin if you happen to own a popular caliber that was used in a crime and you were in the area are they not going to just charge you ? All that CSI stuff you are talking about I'm guessing would take years to get in Alberta. If you had to hire a lawyer and go to court it would be very expensive.
Owning a popular caliber is hardly probable cause to pursue criminal charges against someone. There is too much reasonable doubt for a jury to convict you just because you are in the area. I shoot a .308win doesn't mean I'm getting charged if they pull a .308 slug out of a trophy elk. Turns out I shoot 165gr accubonds but the bullet pulled was a 150FMJ and they have a 30.06 casing from the scene. Same caliber, different cartridge.

Believe it or not, there are some very simple tests that can be done with just an eye loop and silly putty that will rule out many people. Hardly some big CSI deal and many Wardens or CO's use them.

For example, you recover a bullet, it has 4 lands n groves right hand twist, I push a piece of silly putty in the muzzle of your rifle and bring it out. Guess what I find, your rifle is 6 lands n grooves left hand twist. Doesn't matter if it is a 30.06 .308 .300wm etc... there is no way YOUR rifle could have fired the bullet. Instantly rules you out as a suspect even if you are in the area.

With the eye loop, I recover a piece of brass from the crime scene. Take your rifle and either shoot a round to compare a piece of brass or have a fired round from you. Compare the two head stamps with the eye loop and I can tell if the firing pins are the same based off of where they struck the primer and the shape of the indent of the firing pin left. I can also tell any distinct machine marks in the primer or on the head stamp left when the cartridge is pushed into the bolt face when the round is fired. Again, if they don't match I can rule your firearm out as a suspect weapon even if you are in the area.

I suggest you read a book called Analyzing Ballistic Evidence by Tony Latham. I have attended his presentations in a Wildlife Forensics course work sent me to last year. A very short book only 77 pages that explains some of the simple tests I mention above. I know quite a few Wardens that use these tests. Despite what some may think, not every Warden or CO is out to take privileges from everyone they meet in the field. Nor do we think everyone we meet in the field is a criminal.

http://www.tonylatham.net/ballistic-...ce-latham.html
Old 07-08-2020, 07:27 AM

I'd love to pack one everyday, but somehow I would think that I'd get weird looks within the city.....

That being said, if I was out in the boonies well away from known high traffic areas carrying something (bear spray, 12 gauge, bear banger, etc) would instill some more confidence throughout the day.

Most times though, when I'm out and about there's lots of noise going on (conversation, ATV noise, etc) that "hopefully" keeps the critters standing just outside my point of view. I never seem to see them until they've turned tail and are running. At this point, I haven't carried while out. I suppose bear spray at a minimum is a good plan.

As Bessiedog stated, seeing a bear hopped up on edibles would be a fun experience - from a safe distance!

J.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:57 AM

Always in remote areas. 12 gauge shotgun with slugs and 00 buck in some areas or a rifle in 375 Ruger in other areas if I think I will have an opportzunity to do some target practice.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:44 AM

Was thinking about some of those reality shows like "Alone" and "Naked and Afraid'. They're generally allowed to bring some particular piece(s) of kit like a knife, a pot, a firesteel...I bet if most of them could pack a gun instead, they'd make do without other things.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Was thinking about some of those reality shows like "Alone" and "Naked and Afraid'. They're generally allowed to bring some particular piece(s) of kit like a knife, a pot, a firesteel...I bet if most of them could pack a gun instead, they'd make do without other things.
That would be kinda useless without bullets! Only allowed to bring one thing.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
That would be kinda useless without bullets! Only allowed to bring one thing.
Another idea smashed by complete lack of imagination. Every reality show doesn't follow the same rules.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:20 AM

My neck'a the woods is cattle country, and the vast majority of people (here) have some kinda gun nearby always. I am very certain that every CO & just about every rural dispatched RCMP (in Alberta anyway) is aware that guns in regions like these are as common as fencing pliers & muck boots. So to the commenting by some members in this thread about fingers being pointed to people known to always have guns; no... it isn't an automatic suspect thing. The good guys aren't hard to differentiate from the suspect type when things come right down to that. And carrying or having guns along day to day is far more common than some think. It goes with the territory and the lifestyle for many of us, and surely doesn't automatically mean bad business or illegal dealing either. That's the societal persona being pushed these days, but it's irrelevant in the real world.

To the OP though, yes. I myself have some-type of firearm along daily too, year round. For livestock & animal welfare concerns, use against predators, meat during hunting seasons, pests around the yard and damage controls across farm & ranch lands.. there ain't a harder argument for guns as necessity, daily, than that. Regardless os season.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I don't always, but typically have spray and a decent knife on me.

Even on the farms that I spend time on, the large predators have been getting more prevalent.
If you're willing to tackle a bear with a knife, you're a better man than 99% of us.

Grizz
Old 07-15-2020, 03:17 PM

I’ve been packing my 22mag since spring for shooting beavers that are flooding some pasture. Now that I’ve got the beaver situation under control I’ll be packing my 223 as the cows seem pretty riled up like something has been chasing them.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
If you're willing to tackle a bear with a knife, you're a better man than 99% of us.

Grizz
KA-BAR....knife will suffice….one did tell a story how this came to be...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-15-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Was cutting away last spring and had 2 bull bison walk within 20' of me. Caught me off guard as I just saw something brown move in the corner of my eye. Definitely filled my shorts.

Owning a popular caliber is hardly probable cause to pursue criminal charges against someone. There is too much reasonable doubt for a jury to convict you just because you are in the area. I shoot a .308win doesn't mean I'm getting charged if they pull a .308 slug out of a trophy elk. Turns out I shoot 165gr accubonds but the bullet pulled was a 150FMJ and they have a 30.06 casing from the scene. Same caliber, different cartridge.

Believe it or not, there are some very simple tests that can be done with just an eye loop and silly putty that will rule out many people. Hardly some big CSI deal and many Wardens or CO's use them.

For example, you recover a bullet, it has 4 lands n groves right hand twist, I push a piece of silly putty in the muzzle of your rifle and bring it out. Guess what I find, your rifle is 6 lands n grooves left hand twist. Doesn't matter if it is a 30.06 .308 .300wm etc... there is no way YOUR rifle could have fired the bullet. Instantly rules you out as a suspect even if you are in the area.

With the eye loop, I recover a piece of brass from the crime scene. Take your rifle and either shoot a round to compare a piece of brass or have a fired round from you. Compare the two head stamps with the eye loop and I can tell if the firing pins are the same based off of where they struck the primer and the shape of the indent of the firing pin left. I can also tell any distinct machine marks in the primer or on the head stamp left when the cartridge is pushed into the bolt face when the round is fired. Again, if they don't match I can rule your firearm out as a suspect weapon even if you are in the area.

I suggest you read a book called Analyzing Ballistic Evidence by Tony Latham. I have attended his presentations in a Wildlife Forensics course work sent me to last year. A very short book only 77 pages that explains some of the simple tests I mention above. I know quite a few Wardens that use these tests. Despite what some may think, not every Warden or CO is out to take privileges from everyone they meet in the field. Nor do we think everyone we meet in the field is a criminal.

http://www.tonylatham.net/ballistic-...ce-latham.html
Thanks for the informative post. I appreciate you being part of this forum. Cheers.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:35 PM

Kimber Ascent 7-08 hardly know you're packing it.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:57 PM

Winchester 94AE Trapper model without safety bar BS, in 44 mag with trigger tuned to 3.0lbs. Compact handily popgun.... usually with me in the wilds.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:45 PM

id be curious to know the reasons behind people's preferences to pack a rifle vs shotgun for "everyday packing" outside of big game hunting season. I'm always on the fence which one to bring...