Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 PM

Default One or two Piece bottom metal, and what colour?

For a Model 70, which one.

I've recently acquired a LH classic Model 70 chambered for the 338 Win mag. It's at a gunsmith right now getting the barrel cut to 24", I've got a Williams machined steel extractor, and a Wby MK V follower spring in my parts box that will replace the originals, and will order bottom metal from Williams ASAP. I've used their factory "look alike" two piece stuff, and in fact one of my rifles is featured with that bottom metal on their website. Their one piece Oberndorf unit adorns my SS LH Model 70 280 AI so I'm familiar with that one as well. My question is which to choose based on both function and aesthetics. I know gunsmiths that have definate preferences and a couple that refuse to use a one piece unit from any maker.

I'll also add a McMillan EDGE Echols pattern stock and it will be painted brown. Which decelerator, Red or Black. The pictures show a right handed mirror image of the stock I'll order with those colour options on the pad with the stock colour I like.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:56 PM

I would say one piece, polished and blued if your rifle is blued...that would look really classy then.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Rob, It is blued, and I may have it completely re-blued and that would include the bottom metal to match. Maybe.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:29 PM

Then having the bottom metal blued is really no question...That will be a sweet rifle when done Chuck. I am toying with either a 338 win mag or a 375 H&H in a Sako 85 though...I am sold on the Sako now after having one and won't buy anything but.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:37 PM

And I can't resist a Model 70.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:39 PM

Chuck,

1 Piece Oberndorf.

I'd probably get your smith to re-blue. Cause I know your smith and cause I own a few of the matte Oberndorf BM that the finish hasn't been all that durable on.

Nice stock choice.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Dont go with the red recoil pad....just not good, the wrong color of red IMO....stick with the black.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
And I can't resist a Model 70.
Uuumm, yup. Especially the ones that made it out the factory door with the bolt on the 'good' side.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:46 PM

-Billy Molls
Old 12-06-2008, 10:26 PM
gitrdun

Is this a rifle that you want to hunt with or is it a show piece?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
If it was a show piece why would I want a machined spring steel extractor instead of a look alike cast piece? Or replace the misshapen factory follower spring and use hand machined and heat treated hex head guard screws from Jim Bair at $30 a pair instead of the soft factory ones? Throw away the walnut stock. Add a graphite stock that is designed to mitigate recoil, and use "cast on" to improve eye alignment with the sighting system? Then have it blued with a more durable finish that it came with? It costs no more for brown paint than black, the decelerators are the same price irrespective of pigment, and I'm buying machined steel bottom metal from Williams. I just can't decide if their should be two pieces in the box or just one. Yes it will be hunted.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
chuck is a poser and his rifles are safe queens....... see.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:01 PM

Chuck,

I have the Williams 1 peice bottom metal on several of my rifles. I am very happy with the quality as well as with the service from Matt.

Can you tell me more about the Echols pattern EDGE stock? I am familiar with the Mcmillan Hunters EDGE stock. How do the two differ?

Thanks,

TK
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-07-2008, 04:39 PM

TK,

They differ in design.

D'Arcy Echols, a few years back, started producing a line of rifles chambered in standard belted magnum cartridges for guys that did a lot more hunting than worrying about building and thinking about their guns. He fabricated several proprietary parts for them including magazine boxes, scope mounts, and a stock built by McMillan. D'Arcy trained under Jerry Fisher as a stock maker and could arguably be the best stock maker in the world, and one of it's very best metalsmiths. He'll never tell you that, but there are several that will. The stock McMillan produces for him was designed, built and checkered by him and then sent to McMillan to have a mold produced to duplicate that stock in fiberglass.

Originally to get the stock you needed to order the complete rifle. A rifle than now commands well over 5 figures. I visited with D'Arcy in his shop a couple of years ago, before a LH version was available. The stock is built with very little drop, a generous forearm to control recoil, cast to align the sites, and a long sweeping grip. I did have the good fortune of shooting a LH 416 Rem in Obiche Laminate that mirror imaged his RH McMillans. He now produces them in LH, and Echols inventories them and sells them if you want a stock only. They come as generic blanks so 1 piece bottom metal will need to be inletted and the barrel channel will need a bit of work etc. I ordered mine with EDGE technology so it will be graphite in construction.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-08-2008, 06:27 AM

Sounds great.
One of the things that I didn't overly like about the Mcmillan hunters EDGE stock was the thin forend.

What do the echols stocks cost over the standard mcmillan?
I suspect that they are only inletted for the Model 70?
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 AM

The ones in graphite are around that $475 mark for the blank, and they are only inletted for the Model 70.

-Billy Molls