Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Default blueing removal

other than the over the counter blueing remover chemical... does a guy have another option. i have an action that i wish to strip
Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 PM

If you want a matte blue just bead blast it with fine glass beads. If you want gloss I think you will be stuck hand polishing with finer and finer emery. I have never used the chemical strippers but I believe you will still need to polish the metal after if you want a gloss finish(I think its just a weak acid...could be wrong). I have read vinegar will take it off but it may pit the metal if not watched carefully....I would try it on something else first.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 PM

If you are near a crappy tire (or any hardware store) buy a buffing wheel and buffing compound for a bench grinder. Works awesome you can polish until it shines like chrome if you like. You will find lots of other uses for it as well.

Info on buffing metals
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm
Old 12-05-2008, 08:09 PM

Btw that is an awesome rack in your avatar. Please post a larger photo of it.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:21 PM

the rack is a fake!!! pay no attention to it, i think it was shot in sask somewhere
Old 12-05-2008, 10:18 PM

LOL Thanks I feel better about my little ones now.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
...buy a buffing wheel and buffing compound for a bench grinder. Works awesome you can polish until it shines like chrome if you like...
The problem with a buffing wheel is, if you dont have a lot, and I do mean a lot of practice you will roll all the sharp edges of the action, and form depressions around any hole in the action.....quite common on do-it-yourself refinish jobs.....and it looks like hell. If you do use a wheel, I would still use finer and finer emery first and use the wheel only at the very end to remove only the lightest scratches. Remember the bluing job wont hide anything, the outcome is only as good as the prep work. Thats why if you take a gun in for rebluing 90% of the cost is the prep work, take it in ready and its cheap. Good luck with however you decide to do it, you should post pics both before and after.

Last edited by double gun; 12-06-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Muratic acid on a cotton swab wipes bluing right off....ya still gotta prep the metal to re-blue.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 PM

If you wanna strip the bluing off the entire action and barrel, get a plastic tub big enough to lay the rifle in. Fill it with vinegar deep enough so that the entire thing is covered. Let it soak for an hour, then use steel wool, it'll scrub right off. Be sure to rinse and oil after your finished stripping, as it'll rust quickly if you don't. Good luck, Eric
Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
If you wanna strip the bluing off the entire action and barrel, get a plastic tub big enough to lay the rifle in. Fill it with vinegar deep enough so that the entire thing is covered. Let it soak for an hour, then use steel wool, it'll scrub right off. Be sure to rinse and oil after your finished stripping, as it'll rust quickly if you don't. Good luck, Eric
Don't forget to take the stock off
Old 12-08-2008, 05:26 PM

Thanks, I almost forgot about that. You don't want your rifle smelling like a pickle. Eric