Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 PM

Question Sako 75 vs the 85

Why do some think the 75 is better than the 85? Is purely the stock design that they are going on or am I missing something about the rifle itself? Just wondering if that can be clarified. Personally I have an 85 and it shoots excellent, recoil is great and functions without a hitch....am I missing something?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM

I like the 75's synthetic stock better than the 85's, I like the old mag release better, and the bolt knob shape. I really like that the 85's are lighter, and I like their laminate stocks better than the 75's. I dont think there are any "real" advantages to either model over the other, just personal preference.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Sako Rifles

I personally prefer the stock design of the model 75 over the 85. If I wanted the m85 stock, I'd just buy a Tikka T3 in the LS model and save the $$$$ IMO. Since Beretta bought over Sako, they went with a more "American style" stock.

The model 85 has a new clip release system so some hunters dont hit their release button for their clip and loose it...never happened to me.

I do believe the m85 is a Control round feed action now. Other than that...it a Sako...great craftsmanship and an awesome rifle.

Form more info goto Sako's website... Sako Rifles
Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM

While I dont really have experience with the model 75, I did just get a Sako 85 in 7mm-08. Seems to fit nice, its light and I like the control round feeding and new mag system.

Mind you I havent even mounted a scope or shot it yet, I still really like it.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I like the 75's synthetic stock better than the 85's, I like the old mag release better, and the bolt knob shape. I really like that the 85's are lighter, and I like their laminate stocks better than the 75's. I dont think there are any "real" advantages to either model over the other, just personal preference.
That is the biggest complaint I hear about the 85, is their stock. People don't like the style and what it is made out of. It handles recoil great I have found and I don't know why people don't like what it is made out of...mine will shoot the lights out so I am not sure what a "better" quality stock would offer the gun....other than very few onces of weight savings. Don't get me wrong, I have thought about putting a McMillan Edge on my 85 to shave a few onces but when it comes down to it why mess with something that is already so accurate?

No one has an issue with the rifle itself though? how it functions or reliability?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:46 PM

Default Sako m75

NEVER, and my first Sako m75 rifle...a stainless synthetic 300WM been thru soom hard hunts. Never failed me or my buddy with his (10 years now). At the time my buddy was going to get a Browning SS due to his cash flow back then but after he held his Sako for the first time, he was very happy he went with it. And to me there is no comparison of a Sako m75 rifle to a Browning.

A Macmillan stock would be nice and I'm considering one for a 270WSM for a m75 just because I prefer the synthetic stock of the Sako m75 in the grey with black rubber inlay over the black with grey rubber inlay (like the Finnlight)..and thats what the rifle in the 270WSM is (black with grey rubber). And with a Macmillan stock its soemthing nobody else would have because you customized it to your own persoanl preference.

The synthetic stocks of a Sako m75 rifle are not like a Tikka T3 stock nor a Sako A7 from what I heard... not the hollow sounding. Its solid.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 PM

My 85's stock does not sound hollow at all as well....I am going to be hunting this gun hard for the rest of my life all over the world and I am sure it will hold up.

This 85 stock is strong and will take a beating I am sure....I had a McMillan Edge stock and it to me was not very tough, not as tough as my factory Sako one anyways.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:12 PM

I purchased my first Sako, a 75 in 270 wsm, recently. I had hesitated on a Sako when I found out the design of the 85 clearly was built to American "classic" spec. I've shouldered both and when I found a 75 in my calibre, I did not hesitate, nor have I regretted it. I've tested my Sako75 out to 400 metres and it rivals my Sendero.

I guess this doesn't really answer your question, Harv 3589, but if you are looking at a Sako, 75 or 85, I think you have good taste
Old 12-05-2008, 05:26 PM

I already own a 85 in a 30-06 and I wont buy anything now but a Sako....dont have to convince me.

I was just curious why I continue to read statements saying that the 75 is better than the 85....is this just in regards to the stock is all I was wondering or do these people that make the statement know something about the actual rifle that I don't.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 PM

Default Sako 75 vs sako 85

I have both, stainless 75 300wby the stock is more comfortable it has the palm swell grip.It is very heavy, which is ok because its my long-range elk gun it is also very accurate, the stock plastic is alot softer material than the 85 stock.The 85 stainless 338 i have, is alot lighter weight the 75 stainless bottom metal is steal the 85 is aluminum.The 85 is control round feed.The bolt shroud is also aluminum on the 85 compared to steal on the75, the 85 sako has a secure clip attachment so it won't fall out inadvertantly. Both have exellent triggers and are very accurate if you are concerned about weight i would get the sako 85, as it is a lot lighter. The 85 aslo has a better recoil pad setup that keeps the gun from jumping up when shooting. Can't go wrong with either!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 PM

Jake.............Ever thought about selling the SS 75 in 300wby ?? I have one myself and now my buddy wants ones.......
Old 12-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Default Sako

I have both.

The 85 feeds flawless and has a smoother action. This is what I found handling a few of my friends 75's.

The 75 stock is heavy. I believe close to 2.4 lbs. Weight difference between the same model and caliber is 1.4 lbs. Both guns are S/S 30-06 and both with same scope and optilok mounts.

Personally I find the clip tighter in the 85 suggesting better craftsmanship. On the same guns the barrel on the 75 is heavier.

Oh, did I mention the key concept on the 75? There's more weight. To get rid of it costs you $150.

I like both models. To get the 75 to the same weight of the 85, you need a aftermarket stock and get rid of the key concept. Even comparing the same caliber in a Finnlight (30-06) the 85 is 0.5 lb lighter than the 75 and has a extra 2" on the barrel.

Seems like everyone compares the stocks on both guns. Handle both blind folded and you will chose the 85 on smooth cycling.

I read earlier that someone would rather buy a LSS T3 than the 85. Even with the laminated stock you still have a plastic clip, bolt shroud and plastic trigger guard.

I guess my rant is, both are great guns, better than most factory guns. There are both pro's and con's to both.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 PM

Default sako75 vs sako85

Elnino i don't think i would sell it, i like the top feed clip and you can't find a long action 300wby with a clip it also is a longrange tack driver.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:42 PM

I have two 75's(22-250 and 6.5 Swede SS/synthetics) and an 85, a friend has two 85's, a walnut/blued 270 and a SS Laminate 30-06.

The 75's are my favorites,..nothing "wrong" with the 85 though. The 85's have trimmer stocks and lighter barrels. Can't understand the mag latch thing, the 85 could easily be modified to the 75 style with a file in a few minutes....can't understand why they had to redesign the back end of the bolt either, the 75 looks better to me,...when the bolt is closed on the 85 theres a gap where the bolt handle meets the receiver...picky, I know, but I like the 75 better in this area. The recoil lug of the 85 is different, it's like the TRG-S M995(I have one of those too)...again, I like the 75 better,but if the 85's recoil lug system works on the TRG's I assume it's OK.

and not all the 75's have the key bolt lock...mine don't

I put a McMillan stock on my 6.5 Swede and it's what a rifle should be be,..solid, smooth and accurate. The triggers go to 2-1/4lbs with the simple turn of an allen key.......my 6.5 Swede shoots 130 Accubonds well under an inch, the last two three shot groups out of it on paper were
.70" and .735"

my 85 is for sale and I'm looking at another stainless 75........I've owned at least 12 older Sako two lug bolt actions...L579,L61R,AI,AII,AIII and AV...I've had them all....the newer three lug Sakos are what I like........

like harv3589 says "I already own a 85 in a 30-06 and I wont buy anything now but a Sako....dont have to convince me."

Last edited by rembo; 12-06-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 PM
gitrdun

What about the bedding differences between the 75 and 85? Take both guns apart, examine closely and you'll see the differences. They are not so obvious at first, but to the dicerning eye, the '85 is getting closer to junk.

Last edited by gitrdun; 12-06-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

The main difference for me is the actions, the sako 75 with its mauser type action, though not advertized as such WAS a controled feed. The 85 though advertised as a controlled feed is actualy not. Both good rifles though.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:21 PM
gitrdun

The Tikka M695 in .338Wm that I own is a tack driver. My buddie's Sako 75 in same caliber is supposed to be a superior gun. But, My Tikka shoots circles around his Sako and he's pi$$ed because he spent a grand more on his superior Sako, yet both guns come out of the same factory and the price difference makes him puke whem he sees my groupings.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
What about the bedding differences between the 75 and 85? Take both guns apart, examine closely and you'll see the differences. They are not so obvious at first, but to the dicerning eye, the '85 is getting closer to junk.
And this all happened when............Beretta USA bought out Sako . This is why the model 85 stock on the Sako rifle is the way they are now....to cater to the American market. I think they should of stayed with the m75 design and left the rifle a the high standards to which the Finnish people placed into their rifles...not now cheaping out!

As mentioned, the Tikka T3 rifles are greater shooters for the money.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
The main difference for me is the actions, the sako 75 with its mauser type action, though not advertized as such WAS a controled feed. The 85 though advertised as a controlled feed is actualy not. Both good rifles though.
the Sako 75 is not even close to being "controlled feed"...it's a push feed with a three lug bolt..hardly close to a Mauser design.

I agree the 85 is not a controlled feed in the sense of a Mauser claw extractor , it's similiar to the M70 CRPF.

Back to the recoil lug of the 85..it's the same idea as the Sako TRG-S M995...which I believe is the same as the current Sako TRG 22 and TRG 42,...if it's good enough for these rifles it's good enough for a hunting rifle.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 AM

Rembo, I just looked at my 85 to see if I could find the gap you mentioned between the handle and the receiver and I can't see it....the handle is tight against the receiver when closed and there is no gap between the shroud and the handle. Can you explain that more for me...maybe I missed something.