Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM

Default Slug gun question

Wondering what slugs people are useing in there slug guns I am very intrested in ballistic tipped sabot slugs.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 PM

Bashaw had some of the rem accutips that were new this year. Lots of people are having success with them. Before i did the typical Bought Shot And Sell it with my Slug gun this year, it liked the cheapy winchester BRI and it did some unreal damage. One deer i shot with them this year, didnt just knock it down, it was more like someone grabbed the deer by the neck and threw it down a hill. Pics are up on facebook. It would also shoot Barnes Expanders Nicely
Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

Hey Mike;
I shoot a winchester 1300 with a rifled barrell and have found my best groups are with the Winchester Supreme 385 grain sabot slugs....no hesitation at taking a poke with them out to 175 yards.......I have been trying to get my hands on these new Remington sabots......definately gonna be getting them for next year.
http://www.remington.com/products/am...sabot_slug.asp
Old 12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbypetrolia View Post
Hey Mike;
I shoot a winchester 1300 with a rifled barrell and have found my best groups are with the Winchester Supreme 385 grain sabot slugs....no hesitation at taking a poke with them out to 175 yards.......I have been trying to get my hands on these new Remington sabots......definately gonna be getting them for next year.
http://www.remington.com/products/am...sabot_slug.asp
That was a cool vid in the link you posted, thanks!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Yeah, I musta watched it 5 times. I love the line "want knockdown? It brings a truckload out to the farthest reaches of shotgun range..........."
Man thats bad I've memorized it.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 AM

I have been shooting the Hornady custom 385Gr SST.
Seems to be doing reasonably well with the iron sights. At $11 a box its substantially less expensive than some other options.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 PM

is it possible to shoot slugs out of a shotgun that does not have rifled barrel? if so what choke would one use?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki10 View Post
is it possible to shoot slugs out of a shotgun that does not have rifled barrel? if so what choke would one use?
I think so but you need to use rifled slugs. Someone else may be able to explain better.

Thanks guys I too am really intrested in the remingtons they look great I will also check out those Hornadys as 11 is tempting!!

Thanks again
Mike
Old 12-06-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Slugs

Hi. I shoot a lot of slugs. The new Remingtons are fantastic !!! The Hornady's are tied overall with the Rems in my opinion. The Rems shoot a tighter group but are expensive. The Hornady's are a lot cheaper and are very close to the Rems in accuracy.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki10 View Post
Yes you can!
Use lead rifled slugs only DO NOT USE SABOT use in cylinder to improved modified chokes, i wouldn't suggest any tighter chokes. You can also purchase rifled choke tubes depending on the model of your shotgun.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:44 AM

thanks for the response!