Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2008, 10:21 PM

Default got a new toy the other day and what a supprise at the range

I picked up a new tikka the other day I had been waiting for a 308 in stainless since May, but no luck so I got a 7mm. planned on useing it for this season and selling it to buy a 308 next year. I took it to sight it in today got 2" groups off shooting sticks had it diled in after 3 sets. thaught I would see what it would do just off my back pack laying prone and I put a 3 shot group through one tattered hole. I nearly *&%* my self. I was not expecting this from this gun or myself. I used to shoot quite a bit, but have not for the past 5 years or so. I had a rem model 7 and loved it. untill now.
needless to say I will not be selling this gun. just have to find another way to fund the 308.

I am one stoked guy with one ugly gun. but even the ugly guns need lovin

Brad out
Old 11-12-2008, 10:27 PM

I bought a cheapo of a gun in the savage, stevens model 200 .243 for the wife and man this thing was sick accurate outa the box after 4 shots had it making under 1/2 group at 200 yards with my ole tasco scope on it i was amazed!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 PM

yup... great groupings! I can't wait until my stainless lite in .270 arrives... hopefully by Friday as I'd like to get my new Elite 4200 sighted in on the weekend. It was tough finding any Tikka's in the province so i'm hoping everything is perfect when it arrives.

Ugly... I think not
Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 AM

Default I will post pics if I can figure it out.

hopefully I can get pics on in a couple of days
Old 11-13-2008, 12:34 PM

good to hear, I bought a Sako 300wsm Stainless this year and also had a pleasent suprise at the range. instantly became a fan of the tikka/sako.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM

So is this new T3 a 7mm Rem mag, or a 7-08? Just curious as I am looking along the same lines for an allweather rifle.

Thanks, Homesteader
Old 11-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
So is this new T3 a 7mm Rem mag, or a 7-08? Just curious as I am looking along the same lines for an allweather rifle.

Thanks, Homesteader
x2
Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I picked up a new tikka the other day I had been waiting for a 308 in stainless since May, but no luck so I got a 7mm. planned on useing it for this season and selling it to buy a 308 next year. I took it to sight it in today got 2" groups off shooting sticks had it diled in after 3 sets. thaught I would see what it would do just off my back pack laying prone and I put a 3 shot group through one tattered hole. I nearly *&%* my self. I was not expecting this from this gun or myself. I used to shoot quite a bit, but have not for the past 5 years or so. I had a rem model 7 and loved it. untill now.
needless to say I will not be selling this gun. just have to find another way to fund the 308.

Brad out
An observation for myself......i've shot some of my tightest groups laying prone in a field over small bipod or pack etc. Must be a very consistant way to shoot. Tikka's still rock!

What ammo were you shooting?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 PM

I love my T3, it's a 300wsm and shoots under a dime. Kicked like a mule before I added a limbsaver but its accuracy is impeccable. I believe Tikka is just as good as Sako, but cheaper, both are made by Browning.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:09 PM

Good shooting!! That is typical of Tikka accuracy.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jimmer View Post
I love my T3, it's a 300wsm and shoots under a dime. Kicked like a mule before I added a limbsaver but its accuracy is impeccable. I believe Tikka is just as good as Sako, but cheaper, both are made by Browning.
They are owned by Beretta but still made in Finland.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Default It's a 7mm rem mag

Was not my first choice but I like it. the scope is a burris fullfield 3x9 it seems ok, clear any ways and nice positive click adjustments. I did not find the recoil all that bad, but I only put 15 rounds down the tube and was wearing a jacket.

Thanks for all the replys, I would suggest anyone who has not tried one of the Tikkas out to go do it.

I was sceptical untill yesterday.

Brad Out
Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

Yo Brad,

7mm what? 08? or Rem Mag?

Ammunition? Factory? What type?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:09 PM

Default 7mm rem mag

7mm rem mag,
federal power shok 175 gr soft point
it was all the shop I got the gun from had in stock

Brad
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Banned

Thanks, great caliber, you could turn that into a serious long range rig....some 168 bergers and a scope with a target knob...you could get way way out there. As it is i'm completely happy with my .270 (same gun as you) and i've set mine up for fairly long range and so far so good.....you'd have that much more power out there and way higher bc bullets with that caliber.....great choice!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:06 PM

Hey Stinky...

What are you using for a bipod? I'm just about to leave and pick up my new .270 T3 at the post office. Got the notice yesterday!! .
Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 PM

my bad... i'll send you a pm instead.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post

Brad out

I got my fiance interested in hunting last year and took her gun shopping in the spring. The tikka was the only gun that she liked. So i bought her a T3 lite in a 25-06 synthetic, stainless and needless to say she told me she will never buy anything but tikka or a sako! Having never really shot much it was a pretty tight group.

I don't think I will **** her off while she is holding that thing! She won't miss!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:46 AM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph View Post
yup... great groupings! I can't wait until my stainless lite in .270 arrives... hopefully by Friday as I'd like to get my new Elite 4200 sighted in on the weekend. It was tough finding any Tikka's in the province so i'm hoping everything is perfect when it arrives.

Ugly... I think not
I've altered an old saying to suit this situation. Ugly is only skin deep, but inaccurate goes right down to the nuts and bolts.

Both Tikka and Savage (Stevens included) are tough to beat when it comes to accuracy. I own a bit of both and I've never had a jamming problem, broken this or that, except that I did break the tab on my Savage's removable mag. Savage sent me a new one, no questions asked.