Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 PM

Default deformed nosler tips?

A friend is using the Nosler partition 7mm bullet and the lead tip is bending over when he chambers a round. This is with a new Tika rifle. Will this affect accuracy? Would there be something wrong with the rifle or does he need to swith to an accubond without the lead tip? I use the same bullet and have no problems with it.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 09:00 AM

Default Tips

My buddy & I use to shoot factory Winchester Supreme Partition Golds in our 300WM for years-starting in 1998. The tip of the bullet would square off after a while cycling the same round in and out if not seeing any game while hunting. Never had a problem with accuracy when it come down to it- just got tired of it, and when the Accubonds came out in 2004 we switched. Since 2005 been shooting reloads of Accubonds in all my rifles.

Trust me, its not the rifle as our rifles are Sako m75ss 300WM. Switch to the Accubonds - they are a great bullet.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:20 PM

I read an artical years ago in guns+ammo reguarding damaged lead bullet tips and accuracy.For hunting purposes I wouldn't worry about it.If you're competing at the Olympics maybe? The artical claimed[hard to prove] that the air friction actually melted the eposed lead tips in flight so it was irrelevant.I'm thinking this would be more pronounced at say 3000 fps+ I've taken a knife and rolled the bent tips back in shape or shaved them off and shot game with them ..............debatable situation but likely more cosmetic than factual IMO............Harold