Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Default .243 Stevens 200 or Savage FV12???

I'm in the market for a .243. I mainly want it for coyotes but also want the ability to be able to take deer with it in a pinch. The problem is I'm torn between the cheap $300.00 stevens or the 600.00 Savage. I don't kinow alot about this caliber. What I do know is the stevens comes with a 22'' barrel sporter weight and no accutrigger. The Savage comes with a 26'' bull barrel and the accutrigger. Is the extra length and the accutrigger worth the 300 extra? I can get a trigger job done on the stevens so it basicly comes down to how much actual velocity is lost in 4'' of barrel? anyone own either of them? what to do...what do do...lol.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
gitrdun

The heavy and longer barrel is better suited to sit and wait yote hunts. The sporter barrel are much lighter and easier on the shoulder. I have hunted coyotes with both the 200 and the 12FVSS. I have sold the 12FV, kept the 200, accurized it and never looked back.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:40 PM

I was in the same boat as you are and i bought the stevens 200 for my wife, and i gotta tell yah 1/4 group at 200 yrds looking though a lil 3-9 40mm tasco scope guy cant coplain to much, in fact buddy shot a wt buck 2nite at 326 yrdswith it, smoked him 100grn bullet by federal. I love this gun, only draw back is the no clip or drop out magazine, all loading/unloading is threw the top!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 PM

Stevens $309 at Wholesale and in the buy and sell on here a member has the Rifle Basix trigger for sale for $60. If you intend to do any walking at all, buy the Stevens, I like mine
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 PM

If you can afford the savage I would recommend it. The cost of getting trigger work alone pays for the accutrigger. The stock is also better on the savage, especially the 12FV line.

I have a 12FV in .308 that shoots three shot zero groups. It has had no work done to it other than an accutrigger adjustment and load development.
So now you know why I am a fan
Old 11-11-2008, 01:51 PM

I've got the Steven's 200 for coyotes. The light weight barrel is much nicer for stalking or walking all day. I had a Savage 10FP so I know what it was like to carry a heavy barrel. For the amount of rounds you would fire in a day shooting coyotes you really don't need a extra weight.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:29 PM

Perhaps have a look at the Classic series, nice wooden stocks with or without Monte Carlo cheek piece, box mag or floor plate Accutrigger as well. http://savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm
Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM

Default Predator......

This is the one you want to get............. I just picked one up this summer in .243, and won enough cash at the Clive Moen and Frank Leffingwell shoots to pay for the whole gun !!!
Not bad considering I had only had it for 2 weeks and hadn't even fine tuned my load development !!!

http://savagearms.com/10Predator.htm
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySeven View Post
This is the one you want to get............. I just picked one up this summer in .243, and won enough cash at the Clive Moen and Frank Leffingwell shoots to pay for the whole gun !!!
Not bad considering I had only had it for 2 weeks and hadn't even fine tuned my load development !!!

What type of scope did you put on that? I mean did you put a camo or matte black one on? How does it look?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySeven View Post

Great call!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:37 PM

The 200 is cheap, light and they can be made to shoot very well. Much better dual purpose rifle. Get the Timney or Rifle Basix trigger which IMO are both better than the Accutrigger and you'll have more to spend on a scope.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 PM

Virgil.......... I had a Leupold VX-II 6-18 X 40 ( matte) with target turrets on it for the shoots, but swapped it out for a Leupold VX-II 3-9 X 50 afterwards.
Not to much for options in a camo covered scope, and I'm kinda partial to the Leupolds !!
Savage does have the package series like this though.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Predhuntxp.jpg (24.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Banned

While the Stevens 200 is a cheap no frills rifle. Do not look down upon it and listen to the folks posting. Throw an aftermarket trigger in it and top it with a premium scope and you will have a good reliable firearm. I have one in .30-06 topped with a Leupold FXII 6x36 fixed power scope and it shoots 1/2" MOA all day long.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:42 PM

i have a stevens 200 in 270. I swear by that rifle. It's always dead on. You can adjust the stock triggers and set them a little lighter although a rifle basix trigger is not a bad idea. I highly recommend the gun. Great "BANG" for your "BUCK"