Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 AM

Default More Cheese Please...

I am a fan of Leupold scopes and have been for some time. They just seem to work and you can't quibble with that. They are elegant scopes too, with the subdued finishes with that understated gold ring on the bell.

I damn near swallowed my cigar when I noticed the new ones out. Now you can get them with etchings of game animals on them and weird new finishes. What is this? 'Pimp My Rifle'? I suppose they are going for that 'custom' look but to me these things look like a 3 dressed up as a 9. It is like putting Valvoline or STP stickers on a friggin Bentley!

I am all for classy embellishments like skillful engravings, octagonal barrels and high grade wood stocks...but these mass produced etchings make the scopes look like the mass produced chit that should be sold at places like Wal-Mart.

What about it fellers? I know looks are only skin deep with rifles, but would you go for embellishments if you could afford them? What would your custom rifle look like?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:30 AM

JMO I buy rifles to hunt and use, if they look pretty in the gun cabinet I would be to worried about scratching it or something. As long as they serve the purpose I don't care what they look like. Although a good looking gun is what it is.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM

I agree I would be afraid to use it. I like the simple black stock with blued barrel. plain, simple, and not affraid to run through the bush with it.
I have a leupold scope and love it. eye relief is great and it is easy to look through. if it cost more for the exact same one but with fancy engravings then No I will not buy it. Dont want a shelf queen, want a proven killer!!