Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 AM

Default Recycling Brass. Dumb idea?

Perhaps this is already happening and I'm just unaware, but...

I've been out at the range recently and probably gone through 70 or 80 rounds of Win .270. I don't reload so the brass goes in the trash as I don't know anyone who does. I was wondering about the idea of having a program where you dropped off your used brass at , say, a local gun or outdoor store (some place I would be going anyway) for others to pick up. You could put it in a bag, properly labeled, and let someone else have what you would have thrown away. I don't need any money for it, and the store that sponsored the program would be doing a service to reloaders and get more customer traffic to boot. The store would make no representation that the brass was any good, but merely be facilitating a donation.

Given that the manager of the Calgary WSS was scooping up my brass at the range last time I was there, perhaps he would be open to the idea.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 PM

Since brass is worth money, what about holding on to it till you have a few pounds and bring it into the metal recycler?
Just a thought
Old 09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
river_runner

I dont reload so i have always given my once shot brass to my local gun shop dealer it is better then throwing it out .I am sure he can give it to someone wanting to reload .
Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Given that the manager of the Calgary WSS was scooping up my brass at the range last time I was there, perhaps he would be open to the idea.
Of course he was scooping it up, he can de-cap, re-size & polish it and in all likely hood resell it for a bit of extra cash.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM

I think it is a fine idea, when I'm at the range I always look for brass I can use or for brass my friends can use if you don't reload I would bet their is someone on here that could use it. or like what was suggested save it up maybe it will pay for another box...just like beer cans

cohod
Old 09-10-2008, 05:16 PM

Excellent suggestion - save it up and put it up for sale in the Buy & Sell forum here or on Canadian GunNutz. Why give something away when you can get some money back to support your hunting?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 AM

I'm always a bit amazed at some of the brass people are willing to throw away.