Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2008, 07:22 PM

Default lubalox vs moly fouling?

I've been thinking about setting up my 30.06 with 168 ballistic silvertips for next year. I read the following comparison on the winchester website (oh really, your brand is best....), but I am interested in hearing some firsthand experiences?
any pointers?

Lubalox Coating

* Black Oxide
* First used in early 1990
* Does not increase diameter of bullet
* Used on AccuBond CT, Ballistic Silvertip, E-tip and XP3 product lines
* Does not harm barrel
* Reduces barrel fouling
* Does not require barrel “seasoning”

Moly Coating

* Molybdenum Disulfide
* First used in late 1990
* Increases diameter of bullet
* Was used on part or all of Power Point Plus, Partition Gold Rifle and one Hornet SKU
* Did not harm barrel
* May have caused barrel fouling
* For optimum performance barrel “seasoning” was required
* Could cause accuracy problems in some guns
Old 12-05-2008, 07:40 PM

I've had quite a bit of experience with moly.
I wouldn't bother with it in a hunting rifle at all, in fact with the amount of moisture we sometimes encounter hunting I think it could be detrimental, because it does weird things when moisture contacts it!

to make it work properly you have to jam the lands, and up your powder charge to get the same velocity as nekkid bullets.
As far as competitive shooters go , you might as well ask about break in procedures or bullet to land recommendations!
We cannot and will never agree on the pros/cons of moly.
My advice is if you like it, use it, but be prepared to re-design your hunting bullet data to accomadate it.
lubalox?
I've loaded them for one of the guys, they are expensive to buy and I really don't thik they do anything more than a nekkid bullet either!
The two are completely different systems of coating, one is kineticlly applied , and the other put on in a baking process IIRC.
The lubalox type is closer to the XLC coatings that barnes uses, but still different.
They also claimed big velocity gains with lower pressures, but their load data did not prove out in the tests that Oldbadger and Ii did - sure is a wake up call to get bonked on the head by a tailpiece from TWO different guns with a starting load!
personally, I like 'em nekkid!!
Cat
Old 12-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

Default Gun Juice option

Hello all...

I've had good luck with Mircolon Gun Juice - applied to the barrel as directed it results in higher velocities, slightly improved accuracy and greatly reduced barrel fouling... Works for me...

Best regards

Capthook