Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 PM

Default Damascus Shotgun

Anybody have much experience with damascus barrelled shotguns? I have loaded my own black powder 2 5/8 shotshells for mine by hand, and it gets kind of tedious. Is there anywhere you can buy black powder shells (besides blanks)? Has anyone ever had one rupture on them? Do any of you still use a damascus shotgun? Just curious.....
Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned

I know a fellow who has an absolutely gorgeous damascus double made in scotland. He had it sent over to England to a proof house to be tested for nitro powder. They proofed it, stamped it and he shoots it 2 5/8" nitro loads.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM

I know what they charge for Damascus knives.......a shotgun would be downright

Must look incredible though

tm
Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM

Hey Tundra, I have two, a 16ga sxs and a 12ga sxs. Most of the damascus finish is worn off, so they look neat, but nothing like those damascus knives. If you want one, check out the next Bud Hayes auction, you can usually get one for $200- $500. You just can't shoot modern loads with 'em (unless you get them proofed like Vin said).

Cheers,
Denver
Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver View Post
Anybody have much experience with damascus barrelled shotguns? I have loaded my own black powder 2 5/8 shotshells for mine by hand, and it gets kind of tedious. Is there anywhere you can buy black powder shells (besides blanks)? Has anyone ever had one rupture on them? Do any of you still use a damascus shotgun? Just curious.....
Damascus barrel ruptures are seldom pretty!
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone loads commercial black powder shotgun rounds simply because they probably couldn't afford the liability insurance!
If your Damascus barrels have not been inspected by a respectable gunsmith and ok'd for use, I sure as heck wouldn't be shooting them! Demascus barrels were made by wrapping a red hot steel strip around a mandrel. That creates the attractive patterning that you see on them especially when the finish is worn off. The problem with them is that they can rust in the seams where the strip is joined and blow apart with presure that may be much less than they were origionally proofed for! Most Demascus barreled guns are wall hangers only! Maybe you know that and have decided that it's ok to shoot anyway, fair enough, but that would be the reason that no one loads commercial ammo for these guns!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:42 AM

Thanx Denver.... I appreciate the info and will look at the the auction.

Thanx again,

tm
Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 AM

Thanks bobinthesky, the 16ga I have is a wall hanger for sure, while the 12ga is good and solid for low pressure loads ( I use 50 grains of ff black powder with 7/8oz 7 1/2 or 8 shot, just enough for close range grouse). I agree about the hidden dangers in the possible corrosion in the seams, in places that you cannot see.

As for liability with ammo, I thought that someone might make black powder loads for cowboy shoots or something, not intentially for damascus. Nobody will ever produce a load that they state is safe for damascus.

Thanks for the info,
Cheers
Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Smile

Damascus barrel shotgun is a something worth keeping .
Damascus barrel shotgun with blown barrel is scrap iron .
Just my thoughts.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 11-26-2008, 05:06 PM

I shoot them all the time for bird's. Mine are all original muzzle loader's except the 20,16 and 12 gauge break open double barrel's. I reload myself and just don't shoot very much. The muzzle loader's I double the charge in and tie to a tire. Fire with a piece of string from behind a substancial barrier and if they survive the test then I feel they are safe enough for a normal charge.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM

That's funny, that is exactly what I did with my 12ga. Our clay thrower used to be mounted on a tire, we pulled it off, tied the shotgun to it and laid a jacket over it, then pulled the trigger with a string. Do you use black powder for your loads?
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Denver
Old 11-27-2008, 07:41 PM

Kent loads low pressure balck powder ammo for antiques - Ypou can oder it by the flat or box from Ellwood Epps in Ontario.
I shoot several damascus barrelled shotguns, among them a Westl;ley richards 12 ( I also have modern 28 guage tubes for it) , a Lefeacheaux 16 guage back actioned lock underlever, a Remington boxlock hammerless, and a few others that I cannot remember right now.
All shoot well with either the factory kent or my handloaded brass ammo.
The big thing is to check and see of the headspace is tight and the lock-up is good.
A compentant BP gunsmith can go through it and repair anything that needs it.
Cat
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the help cat, I checked out their website and it looks good. Loading my own was fine for bird hunting, but I hated spending all afternoon loading shells that only take 1hr to blow through while shooting skeet.
Thanks again,
Denver
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM

I made a few hundred black powder rounds for an old damascas double I had a while back (14 years now). That was when I was on the farm in Saskatchewan. It was fun to shoot, but had to swab the thing every 10 rounds or so. I was really into black powder at the time; had a muzzleloader and a cartridge gun in 12 ga double; but then the non-toxic rules came out, and my primary interest was preparing for the bird hunt, so sold the shotties...

I doubt that black powder shells will ever be available.

If you enjoy that kind of thing; go for it. The cloud of smoke, the smell of burning sulpher and the black face after a few dozen shots is all worth it.

YKD