Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 AM

Default Ammo for 10/22 Target?

Guys;

I'm putting together a 10/22 target with a Butler Creek barrel & stock.
Whats a good target ammo to start with?
All so, who else make's a good trigger for that set up other then Volquartsen, is there any place to get them in Canada?

I have been shooting shotgun for many years as well as some center fire, just starting to get into 22 target.

I just found this forum, its great. Thanks

Kevin.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 AM

Smile

All guns shoot different amo differently.
.22 amo is cheap, so you should buy few different types of amo.
You will find that your .22 will not shoot some amo as well as others.
Some amo very from lot to lot,once you find amo your gun likes buy a case of same lot.
I have CZ .22 and it hates some of the bullets,and I had lots of fun with it.
If you decide to really get in to target shooting you might want to sort your amo according to rim thickness .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 AM

As with alot of things you get what you pay for in 22 ammo.
I've found the bulk 22 stuff that Can Tire/Walmart sell to be very inconsistant.....cheap yes.
As was said you are gonna have to try some different rounds to see what works for you.
I use Remington Yellowjackets in my 10/22 pretty much all the time but that's for killin gophers!!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:53 AM

one on the best deals for accurate .22 ammo is CCI standard velocity. They are rounds that did not quite make the Greentag standard but they are almost as accurate as Greentag and in some guns more accurate.

What ever you choose make sure that it is standard velocity, under 1100 fps because that ammo will give the best accuracy.

Remington and Winchester also make some inexpensive target ammo that might work in your Ruger.

Richard
Old 12-02-2008, 04:34 PM

I have not hear too many good things about those butler creek barrels, the green mountains are obtainable and in general a better product.

Other than that feed it what it likes, which means buy a box of just about everything and test.

But not till you get a brick or two of cheapstuff downrange, the acton needs to break in.

Oh and since your there you'll need
replacement sear (lighten the trigger)
bolt buffer
extended mag release
one handed bolt release
Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 PM

If you want cheap, I find that winchester dynapoints work very well in my 10/22 and are very accurate. Otherwise I love CCI mini-mags.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I have not hear too many good things about those butler creek barrels, the green mountains are obtainable and in general a better product.

Oh and since your there you'll need
replacement sear (lighten the trigger)
bolt buffer
extended mag release
one handed bolt release

What have you heard bad about BC barrels?
All so, where can I get those products mentioned above in Canada?
Thanks for the info.
Kevin.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:53 AM

Cool ammo

I bought a bunch of Wolf Match Target ammo in the states, in anticipation of tight little groups... tight groups? yes, however they seemed to be underpowered as they would'nt cycle the action of my 10/22 properly and the empties would be left in the receiver and jam it up. played with a bunch of standard velo stuff and high velo. my 10/22 likes the CCI Velocitor brand and works very well on gophers.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Back when I was in the market things were a little tighter, I got most of my bits off of e-bay, and I liked the look and feel of the factory T model.

But this place does ship to Canada http://www.hawktecharms.com/ at least the bits, not too sure on barrels.

Basically what came up on the BC barrels seemed to be a quality thing if you were luck it shot well though it seemed more often it did not.

FWIW my T model with the other bits has worked really well for me, but it is just a gopher killer, but feed it elley 10x ($20/box) and it shows.

One thing I would do different is to get a replacement sear and hammer. Dispite the typo above I just got the hammer and it is still a little creepy, the set's are supposed to reduce that significantly

Mostly it eats CC mini-mags
Old 12-04-2008, 04:52 PM

But this place does ship to Canada http://www.hawktecharms.com/ at least the bits, not too sure on barrels.

Basically what came up on the BC barrels seemed to be a quality thing if you were luck it shot well though it seemed more often it did not.

FWIW my T model with the other bits has worked really well for me, but it is just a gopher killer, but feed it elley 10x ($20/box) and it shows.

One thing I would do different is to get a replacement sear and hammer. Dispite the typo above I just got the hammer and it is still a little creepy, the set's are supposed to reduce that significantly

Mostly it eats CC mini-mags[/QUOTE]

I talked to them at HawkTech, they will ship anything but barrels. But he did say the stuff can get and has gotton held up at the border for one to two months!
Thanks.