Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Shotgun Help.

Just looking for some insight on a shotgun recomendation.

Being a avid big game hunter and not ever to date going for waterfowl, this year the oprotunity came to go on a goose/duck hunt however my smith and wesson 12 gauge is a full choke shotgun and I was unable to hunt this year.

Now I am looking to be prepared for next year,

I have looked at the mossberg 500's and the rem 870's, however with the new winchester's starting to arrive in the market and the Benelli nova and super nova's also peaking my intrest I am terribly confused.

Being intrested in also going shotgun deer hunting next fall I would like to have a shotgun with interchangeable and "scopeable" barrel(s).

Just looking for some insight on gun recomendations for what would suit my needs. Synthetic and/or Camo would be nice but is not a "make or break". I would like to keep it around the $700 mark but would go as high as $1000.(not including scope)

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-02-2008, 12:05 PM

For about $500 you can pick up a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 ga combo - comes with a 26 or 28" modified choke plus a 20" bbl with open sights. Wouldn't shoot over 100 yards with a slug or buckshot myself anyway, so a scope would be unnecessary for me. There's a choke kit available for it to expand the choices for the longer barrel. You can get them in camo and the action handles everything from 2.75" to 3.5" magnum shells. As to not using yours for ducks/geese, it's a simple matter to have the choke (I assume it's a fixed full choke) reamed to modified, for steel.
I'm not a big fan of Mossberg shotguns and I think the Rem's a better choice - I like the Nova too, but the Rem with a wood stock just feels more solid, tighter, than the Nova. It's more a matter of which fits better - throw them up with your eyes closed and your hunting coat on and see where it wants to point.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtennex View Post
For about $500 you can pick up a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 ga combo - .
If you are looking for an inexpensive pump, look no further than this. I bought myself a fancier Berretta 391 semi-auto I love, but this is the gun I bought for my son. The 870 in all it's variants from the wingmaster on is the most popular and used shotgun in history. Simple, rock solid, lots of mods available (think Remington 700 in the centerfire world). Get the magnum synthetic model and use it for the next 30 years. I've shot 2 3/4 shells at the trap range and 3 1/2 shells in the field, no problem.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:58 PM

I'd also say go with the 870, they are good, reliable guns.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM

I have a Bennelli Nova, and love it, most important is the fit, i wouldn't get hung up a brand, because everyone likes their own shot gun, it's all about fit. A Remington may be perfect for 1 guy and the next guy may absolutly hate it.
Like already metioned, just go and shoulder the guns and see what ever one fits you best. There are lots of other brands of shotguns, but my top 3 for feel, reliabiltiy and quality, would be between the Bennelli, Beretta, or Remington.

Between Danni and I we have a Bennelli Nova, Had a Remington 870 Express, and she now has a Beretta Urika semi auto. All three have had no issues and all 3 are excellent guns.

I'm not 100% sure but when i was researching my Bennelli, you can interchange the barrals, i.e. ! for waterfowl, 1 for turkeys, 1 for slugs. all with various lengths. The others may have the same too.

I would how ever stay away from Mossberg, 2 of my buudies each own one, One a semi auto the other a 12 gau. pump. Both have has issues with jamming, especially the semi. They seem very cheaply made, littlle pieces falling off. Just my opinion on them.

Dustin
Old 12-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRHunter View Post
I have a Bennelli Nova, and love it, most important is the fit, i wouldn't get hung up a brand, because everyone likes their own shot gun, it's all about fit. A Remington may be perfect for 1 guy and the next guy may absolutly hate it.
Like already metioned, just go and shoulder the guns and see what ever one fits you best. There are lots of other brands of shotguns, but my top 3 for feel, reliabiltiy and quality, would be between the Bennelli, Beretta, or Remington.

Between Danni and I we have a Bennelli Nova, Had a Remington 870 Express, and she now has a Beretta Urika semi auto. All three have had no issues and all 3 are excellent guns.

I'm not 100% sure but when i was researching my Bennelli, you can interchange the barrals, i.e. ! for waterfowl, 1 for turkeys, 1 for slugs. all with various lengths. The others may have the same too.

I would how ever stay away from Mossberg, 2 of my buudies each own one, One a semi auto the other a 12 gau. pump. Both have has issues with jamming, especially the semi. They seem very cheaply made, littlle pieces falling off. Just my opinion on them.

Dustin

Like Dustin says.. Fit is everything.
I have only been in one store (Calgary) that offered to do a proper fitting. WSS and Russels do not have a clue.
I took me over 20 different shotguns to find the one that fit me. (Fabarms)

Good luck
Jamie
Old 12-02-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I have only been in one store (Calgary) that offered to do a proper fitting. WSS and Russels do not have a clue.
We bought Danni's Beretta from Proline shooters in Inglewood, the have a gunsmith there and have agreed that if Danni's Beretta needed to have the stock cut the would, excellent service from those folks as well.

So there might be 2 stores

Dustin
Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

Aggreed. I havent been down in Inglwood to that store. But obviously a guy needs to hit the smaller store to find the help you need. (Providing they know what they are talking about)
My store was the Shooters edge off of Blackfoot. They will get all my Biz from now on.

Jamie
Old 12-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Smile

My comments on buying a shotgun.
Try to buy all around shotgun is like buying all season tires for a truck, they are border line for snow or ice no hell in mud so so on gravel.
A waterfowl shotgun is to heavy to long , if it is to light it will kick like a mule with 3 1/2" ammo. For up land game shotgun should be lighter, shorter so you can carry the thing all day without hiring gun-bearer .
Just my thoughts.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Well thanks for everyones help I bought a gun today of board member High_N_Wide
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=22613

Reminton 870 now next hunting season cant come fast enough!!

Thanks again everyone!!