Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-13-2008, 10:03 AM

Default Weatherby Vanguard Varmint

I've been looking for a new varmint rifle for a while now. I was going to go with a Remington 700 SPS Varmint and eventually replace the stock. Then I found the Weatherby Vanguard Varmint. It has a better quality stock. Just wondering does anyone have experience with this model? Also should I go with this model about $600 or upgrade to a $900 Varmint Sub MOA model.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 AM

Well first off I will tell you that I am a fan of some Weatherbys. I shoot a Mark V Accumark and love it.
The Vanguard of line of rifles are nowhere near the quality of the Mark V's. I also shoot Remington 700s. I would buy any Remington 700 over a Vanguard.
Pick both up and play with the actions a little. For a Varmint gun I say go for the Remington. Unless your willing to spend double and purchase a Mark V.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 AM

I am the exact opposite of Rockymtnx. Take a Vanguard over a Rem anyday myself. Have one in 300 Bee and it shoots and handles flawlessly. Picking up the exact same gun in 22-250 tomorrow. Mine are Stainless laminated grey ones. Neither is sub-moa but with my 300 if I do my part, I can touch all 3 bullet holes at 100 yards. Plenty fine for me.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM

I am not going to argue against JohnAB's opinion either. Most of them will and may shoot pretty tight groups.
It really comes down to fit and feel to a person. Each person has a different comfort and idea feel for a gun.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-13-2008, 12:37 PM

Like I said the Remington had been my first choice but the stock is cheap and at $300 for a replacement stock it seems to make more sense to go with the Vanguard. Basically they are both at the bottom of their companies production line but which one is worth my money.
Those who shoot either of these guns, are they capable of consistently making a 300 yard shot?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 PM

With my 300, a 300 yard shot is a walk in the park. My moose was a lasered 440 some yards and it was one shot thru the heart. Have not got my 22-250 yet but I will free float the barrel and take it to the range and see what she can do.

I had a Savage 11GCNS I believe, gun was in the $550 range and it would shoot sub moa easily at 100 yards.

100 yard group with my Vanguard which is not a sub moa. Factory loads. First group of the day thru a cold clean barrel.

100 Yard group with the Savage, Winchester FactoryAmmo (note that should be 45 grain not 40 grain). Was shooting to be 3 inches high from the center of the triangular target.

Coyote shot thru the neck at 200 yards with my 300 Vanguard.

Last edited by JohninAB; 11-13-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 PM

Impressive groupings. I think I will try the Vanguard but only in 223.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:02 AM

Go with the weatherby. My 7mm shoots awesome. I went with the sub moa and with factory ammo shoots 3/4" groups.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:32 AM

Remember, Weatherby doesn't make its' own rifles. They are decent but I don't care for the look of them. I'll take a Remington any day. If you want another option without spending a fortune, consider a CZ. They make a CZ 527 in varmint calibres and they are sweet rifles, complete with varmint barrels if you want, etc. They are great for carry varminting and position shooting. And did I mention they are extremely accurate? Check it out at CZ-USA.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:01 PM

depends on what you are going to do with it. I have a 700 SPS Varmint in 17 fireball and love the gun, but I am getting a 204 in a Varmint Special because of the shorter barrel and the way it shouldered when I picked it up. The Rem is used of a shooting bench but I wanted the 204 for calling yotes.I got a Vangaurd Back Country in 257 this fall and it shoots very well so I figured the Varmint should as well.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Default Varmint Rifles............

VARMINT RIFLE is a pretty general term......there are so many variations, where do you begin ??? Is this going to be a P-Dog gun, or used for calling, off the bench or bipod ??? Or is one looking for a one gun does it all !!!

If ur on a budget then you want a versatile gun for a decent price that isn't going to make you sacrifice to much for accuracy and weight, and still leave enough money left over for optics.

Myself.......I have gone specialized, a seperate gun in the same caliber for each field. For gopher season I shoot a Savage LRPV in .22-250 off the bench (high magnification optics) A Sako 85 in .22-250 (detch mag and big objective for low light) for calling or a truck gun when cruising fields and back roads in winter looking for Yotes....

If you want a do all gun ......I would highly recomend the new Predator from Savage in .22-250 or even in .243 if you wanted something more diverse that you could still use for hunting as well. Just my 2 cents !!!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye54 View Post
Remember, Weatherby doesn't make its' own rifles.
please explain?
i assume your refering to the vanguard series only...yes, its a howa action and weatherby only lends its namesake and reputation.
im not a big fan of VG's, for no particular reason..i just prefer a mark 5!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhunter View Post
I've been looking for a new varmint rifle for a while now. I was going to go with a Remington 700 SPS Varmint and eventually replace the stock. Then I found the Weatherby Vanguard Varmint. It has a better quality stock. Just wondering does anyone have experience with this model? Also should I go with this model about $600 or upgrade to a $900 Varmint Sub MOA model.
A friend did just that last year, bought a Rem700 SPS in .204 Ruger.

The SPS stock is very basic, some would say it's a POS. Right now, that rifle is at the smith's where a fancy maple thumbhole is being fitted. The dull barrel finish was removed and the barrel will be blued. The bolt lugs need lapping.

But, as-is NIB, that SPS shot WELL within an inch. Usually .50" to .75", with Hornady's V-Max offering (32 or 33gr iirc) at 100yds from decent bags on a concrete bench. It once shot a .3" cloverleaf with same ammo.

My own 700BDL VS varmint rifle is from another era, was a safe queen for decades, and came out for fresh air three years ago. It too needs the action trued, but that will not happen till I wear out the barrel. Meanwhile, it is a very predictable performer out to 300yds. I don't have enough optics to maintain a tight consistent point of aim beyond that, so can't really comment on group size when it comes to the outer planets.