Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Default Which Shot Shell

Well I want to try a bit of migratory hunting this fall and I'm wondering which shot to use. I have 870 Wingmaster with a modified barrel (pre-steel) is there anything I can use?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 PM

It works this way.
You have to decide upon a shell you think might do the job for you. (manuf. recs.) then you buy a box and pattern it.
@ 40yds a good pattern should put 75% of all the pellets into a 30" circle, look for even shot distribution and no great big gaps. It will take up to 5 shots to determine if the load is consistant.
If a load is poor patterning or inconsistant buy different box of shells and give them a try.

Every shotgun is different, so time spent doing load evaluation is time well spent.

FWIW: you did state a chamber lenght for your 870, and you never listed the style of waterfowling you intend to take up, also no mention of ducks vs. geese.

Ducks I use 3's or 2's
Geese I use 2's or B's

But that's after a lot of time at the pattern board.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 PM

Sorry the shotgun has 3" Magnum barrel. I'm hoping to be hunting both ducks and geese so I'll need to be a bit more versatile. Back in the day when lead was okay, #2 for flight shooting & #4 on the field seemed to be the norm but I haven't done much since the lead ban came into effect and what I have done with steel hasn't impressed me much. I did pick up some BB's & #2's today to try in 2 different brands.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:59 AM

I agree with Dick on the shot sizes and would really encourage you to pattern your gun.

One thing to add is that with steel loads speed kills so what ever brand you buy, and you should try them all to see what patterns best in your gun, get the high velocity stuff (1425 fps and faster). FWIW I prefer Kent Fast Steel as it is economical and patterns well in my gun (Benelli Nova)

Did I mention that it is a good idea to pattern your gun?

good hunting

Richard
Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM

For Waterfowl is there much difference between the 1425 fps 1 1/4oz vs. the 1560 fps 1 1/8 oz. stuff ?? Is the speed or the weight more important ?? Being new to waterfowl hunting myself, I find the seemingly subtle differences somewhat confusing........
Old 09-11-2008, 04:07 PM

Okay so I patterned this thing as suggested and I'm settling on the Federal's with #2 shot. Seemed to be the best.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Well, I had a pretty good morning so far, bloodied the F.A.I.R safari 20 gauge.

I doubled on a teal and a goose in the same flight this morning and took three more geese and two more teals with the little 20 gauge!
One Teal was shot at a full 67 paces .

We were shooting in a stubble field over decoys , calling.
M equipment wqs:

Gun - F.A.I.R safari Standard in 20 gauge, mod/imp.mod.
Amunition s factory federal field loads with 3/4oz.#4 (YES, NUMBER FOUR!) steel .
Cat