Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Question Finding the best ammo for gun

Hey all,
I have a buddies remi 7-08 for a bit. Taking it for some trigger work then want to do some ammo testing.
What procedures do you guys use for finding the best shooting ammo for a gun. How often do you clean it, is a bore snake good enough between each type of ammo? How many groups do you shoot, how long do you let a rifle cool between groups?

I appreciate any help you guys can give. I esp look forwad to hearing from Dick and Cat!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Bore snakes are a field tool that's all. They are only good for a gee I just gunked my barrel sort of cleaning.
To actually clean a rifle properly there are two courses of action, using commercial bore cleaners like Butche's, Barnes or Hoppes BR(Note the BR), or using products such as Wipeout. (I'll PM you a couple cleaning routines)
For equiptment I use one piece coated cleaning rods such as Dewey, or Tipton. For jags I use the pointed variety, slotted jags I have issues with.
Dont forget a bore guide, and a 1000 pack of pre cut patches. I limit brush use to about a half dozen strokes on a thorough clean job, else wise I just use the juice or foam. I only use nylon brushes as the solvents will raise heck with bronze brushes.

Here is a quote from another post about loading choices:

Buy a box of one brand and weight, buy another box of a diffrent brand and weight, then buy a third fourth and maybe even a sixth seventh or eighth box as necessary, shoot all the diffrent brands and weights through your rifle till you find one that groups great in your rifle.
Then go back and buy as many boxes of that brand and lot# as you can find, then get on with it.

The range side of things is pretty individualistic.
I use a front and rear rest, and a shooting pad, all shot from a solid and stable concrete shooting bench.
Never did see or try any other system that worked for me, but on that you can wager 6 diffrent guys and 6 diffrent styles.

hope this helps

There are no absolutes