Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2016, 08:23 PM

Default Van island vacation

The wife and I are tossing around the idea of taking a trip with the kids to van island this summer. Would like to get some fishing in if I could. Are there any "must do" things for a family?
Old 02-28-2016, 08:32 PM

Monkido aerial adventure course is a blast. Ocean kayaking is fun too
Old 02-28-2016, 08:36 PM

Coombs market, there are goats on the grass roof of the store, good for pics for return to school. Whale watching @ Tofino depending on budget. Long beach between Port Alberni & Tofino, very sandy & great place to picnic/campfire.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 PM

Telegraph cove for whale watching! We saw over 40 orcas, 4 humpbacks and a minke! It's an old whaling town north of Campbell river pretty cool all around!
Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Rent kayaks or fishings boats out of Pedder Bay, I do this every year.
My Uncle in Colwood stores my fishing gear and crab traps in his garage.
Hang out in Sooke too, then carry on to Port Renfrew and try some hiking trails.
Try the zip line in east Sooke too, kinda cool.

TBark
Old 02-28-2016, 09:47 PM

if you are driving, take the island hopping ferry from Tsawwasaen to the gulf islands. Saltspring, Pender, Galiano are all beautiful (some are even relatively free of hippies!)
Old 02-28-2016, 09:54 PM

If you are driving, take the highway North out of Victoria over the Malahat. On the way you will pass through Cathedral Grove. Plan to spend some time there and see some real trees. up to 7 feet in diameter. True coastal rain forest, first growth.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:58 PM

I was born and raised on one of the gulf Islands.
If you travel down to Victoria, go see undersea gardens. The Museum is pretty great too. Becon Hill Park is beautiful. Travel north check out the gulf Islands.
If you get out to Tofino and Long beach there's lots the kids can do and explore the tidal pools (crush up some muscles that you find beside the pools and toss them in and watch.. Everything comes alive.
Enjoy the trip!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:19 PM

There is a lot of stuff to see on Van. Island if you have the time, lived there 32 yrs. and never ever got to see it all, also a very busy place in the summer as it is at its best for dry weather.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Telegraph cove for whale watching! We saw over 40 orcas, 4 humpbacks and a minke!
Whale watching FOE SURE! It's almost spiritual seeing them up close
Old 02-29-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
If you are driving, take the highway North out of Victoria over the Malahat. On the way you will pass through Cathedral Grove. Plan to spend some time there and see some real trees. up to 7 feet in diameter. True coastal rain forest, first growth.
Cathedral Grove is much further north close to Parksville.

lots of good suggestions here, there's always something to see or do on the Island and much of it is free since there is so much incredible nature to view. Beaches, hiking etc.

I too believe Whale watching is a must, you don't have to go far north or to Tofino to get some good viewing in. Sooke and Victoria are both good jumping off points.

Beaches
Qualicum, Rathtrevor in Parksville, all the beaches in Pacific Rim, some great beaches north of Sooke, French Beach, Mystic/China Beach, Botanical Beach.

Tons to do and see in Victoria, Bug Museum, Buchart Gardens, Beacon Hill, Craigdarroch Castle, stroll along the inner harbor, always something going on including buskers and other entertainment.

The Raptors in Duncan where you get up close and personal with birds of prey, including holding some yourself.

Horne Lake Caves, Englishman River Falls.

It's best to decide where you want to go and research the area online since there is just too much to mention here. I have no doubt you'll enjoy your time here
Old 02-29-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Coombs market, there are goats on the grass roof of the store, good for pics for return to school. Whale watching @ Tofino depending on budget. Long beach between Port Alberni & Tofino, very sandy & great place to picnic/campfire.
This is what we did as well...add on the Butterfly zoo place by Coombs. My daughter was just talking about it yesterday over lunch, and we were there 7 years ago. The kids liked it. Depending where you are staying, Buchart gardens as well.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-29-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
The wife and I are tossing around the idea of taking a trip with the kids to van island this summer. Would like to get some fishing in if I could. Are there any "must do" things for a family?
Fishing with the kids will be expensive if you all go on a charter. However, if you have the time and inclination to drive to to Campbell River at the end of July/beginning of August; you could all have a blast catching Pink salmon on the river itself. Very safe for kids. Should be a banner year for them, just like it was 2 years ago.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Telegraph cove for whale watching! We saw over 40 orcas, 4 humpbacks and a minke! It's an old whaling town north of Campbell river pretty cool all around!
I'd second that. Or, to have you a 6 hour drive, Discovery Marine Safari's out of Campbell River has a shuttle up to Sayward (an hour north) starting mid July. Their boat will track north up towards Telegraph Cove and save you the drive up. And, they are the same company as Stubbs.

Also, Campbell River has a new suspension bridge just west of town, pretty cool.

If in Campbell River, because you saved 6 hours return to Telegraph Cove, have lunch at Dick's Fish and Chips on the water (literally).
Old 02-29-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
What part of the Island do you plan to go to and what do you plan on doing or like to do? Here are some suggestions off the top of my head.

- Parksville sandcastle competition is pretty cool. Mid July-ish
- Seal Bay nature park Comox
- Campbell River chainsaw carving competition. Early July-ish
- Campbell River has very good Canada day fire works display, I think the only display other than Victoria on the island.
- Saratoga raceway for go cart rentals.
- Saratoga beach for minigolf.
- Black Creek diner, go early though. Have the chicken schnitzel.
- Miracle beach and KAi Bay (Kin Beach) at low tide.
- In Courtenay, go to Jo Klassen's fish and chips for lunch/dinner. Go to Bamboo Gardens for Chinese in Courtenay for take-out. Manvirro's for Indian.
- If you are in the area (Comox valley), Bates Beach Campground and Boat house has boat rentals. 14' aluminum, can outfit with downrigger(s) and trolling rods. The campground is very affordable and family run. No rabble-rowsers. They also have condo rentals ocean front for $120 a night and a new manufactured home available. Beach combing at low tide is some of the best in the area here, great tidal pools and 2 Km of sand beach in each direction.
- Denman and Hornby Island's. Make sure to go to the beach at Tribune Bay. Looks like you are in the Carribbean.
- If going to Coombs, have lunch at the Country Market. Be prepared to spend a ton at the bakery, wonderful breads, pastry, pies, etc. Can also have icecream.
- If you make it to Coombs, head up the highway to Cathedral Grove and walk through the park to check out the huge old growth Cedar's. Phenominal site. HAve lunch in Port Alberni at the Little Bavaria Restaurant.
-Keep going west to Uclulet and Tofino. In Ukee, check out the interactive acquarium. In Tofino, Tacofino for lunch. An open air restaurant, but beware the crows over head (wear a hat)
- South island, Pedder Bay in Sooke also has boat rentals but I don't believe you can set up with downriggers. They are center console boats though, more comfortable.

Lastly, if you make it to the Comox valley June 26 - July 24, I could take you out salmon fishing. It won't be pretty, but I will catch you fish.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post

I think you may be thinking of Goldstream Provincial Park:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Gol...7898cd7561cb59

Cathedral Grove is in MakeMillions Prov. Park:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2799504,-124.6421649,12z
Old 02-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
I think you may be thinking of Goldstream Provincial Park:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Gol...7898cd7561cb59

Negative sir. Highway 4 (Alberni Highway), right as I said....

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Cat...42be2b!6m1!1e1
Old 02-29-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1602 View Post
I was born and raised on one of the gulf Islands.
If you travel down to Victoria, go see undersea gardens. The Museum is pretty great too. Becon Hill Park is beautiful. Travel north check out the gulf Islands.
If you get out to Tofino and Long beach there's lots the kids can do and explore the tidal pools (crush up some muscles that you find beside the pools and toss them in and watch.. Everything comes alive.
Enjoy the trip!
On the way to Tofino you can stop at the Sooke Potholes, nice leisurely day to catch rays and swim around
Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 PM

I have been thinking about the Island as well this summer. Been wondering if there are any places I could go kayak fishing for salmon and bottom fish. If anyone has ideas would love to hear about them(pm me if preferred).
Old 02-29-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I have been thinking about the Island as well this summer. Been wondering if there are any places I could go kayak fishing for salmon and bottom fish. If anyone has ideas would love to hear about them(pm me if preferred).
Pink salmon fishing in the river estuaries and beaches start in July at the North tip of Vancouver island around port Hardy (clucewe river) and move down island after that. Eve river, salmon river, campbellriver, puntledge river, Nile Creek and further down island. For example the pinks will be at Nile Creek in the last week of July. On even numbered years, the pink runs are 3-4 times larger than odd years. Odd years the runs are bigger on the west coast of Vancouver island. Call the Nile Creek fly shop as they keep on top of where to go during July thru October. There's a company called skils kayak guides that does kayak fishing lessons in the deeper ocean on the west cost of Vancouver island around tofino (coho, chinook, lingcod, halibut). Family commitments have conflicted with me trying them out this year. Coho start peaking in September and chum in october around the Courtenay area. I assume they show up earlier upisland.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfong View Post
...Coho start peaking in September and chum in october around the Courtenay area. I assume they show up earlier upisland.
Coho show up mid to end of June.

Springs, earlier.

Pinks are usually early July, thick by mid July.

Sockeye start to show early to mid August.

Chum, September.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Whale watching FOE SURE! It's almost spiritual seeing them up close
yes nothing like seeing them up close from a boat in their natural setting just awesome
Old 02-29-2016, 07:29 PM

How old are the kids?
I love the island, our summer vacation has been there 11 of the last 12 years.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:11 PM

....don't spend too much time looking for under sea gardens. Has been gone for years. All other attractions have been listed above! Have fun
Old 02-29-2016, 09:59 PM

They'll be 8,9 and 11 this summer
Old 02-29-2016, 10:05 PM

Default Beachcombing!

We brought home two five gallon pails of sand dollars...loved every minute of it
Hoopi
Old 03-01-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopi View Post
We brought home two five gallon pails of sand dollars...loved every minute of it
Hoopi
you know that they aren't actual currency right?......lol
Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopi View Post
Hoopi
Two five gallon pails? Sounds like a whole lot of stinkyness!
Old 03-01-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Slayer Lenny View Post
Negative sir. Highway 4 (Alberni Highway), right as I said....

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Cat...42be2b!6m1!1e1
Aren't those both the same place? 175 km's north of Victoria?
Old 03-01-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Aren't those both the same place? 175 km's north of Victoria?
Yup, that's my bad. I thought they were correcting my post! I didn't look at the name in their quote.