Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 AM

Default black bear vs. wt deer

having never hunted bear before I was wondering how they compare for alertness?I have hunted whitetails for years and know them pretty good for how far you can push the line on them for spot and stalk bow hunting/rifle hunting.I am planning to spot and stalk blacks with a rifle and was just wondering how they compare.eye sight,hearing,smell,easly spooked?any one have any tips for spot and stalk like what cut lines to look on.what to look for so far as vegitation,water sources ect.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:07 AM

For spring bears, you want the cutlines and roadsides that are greening up first. Green grass, clover, etc brings bears out. Keep a look for the greenest stuff and concentrate on it. You'll start seeing bear sign on roads and cuts as well and its almost always in the green spots. Dandelions are a good sign as well it seems....

Bears have horrible eyes....you can sometimes walk up to them if you are downwind and they wont spook very easily if they cant smell you. Some of the smart bears will spook if they feel something isnt right or if they see you, but overall you can make more 'mistakes' with their vision and get away with a TON more than a whitetail...

They have a great sense of smell...so if you're upwind you are tempting fate. I've stalked bears with the wind blowing to them though, but for bowhunting I wouldnt count on getting within bow range without the wind on your side, especially with a big smart bear.

Hope that helps.....good luck! Bears are a ton of fun in the spring....
Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 AM

Bears can be quite a mix. Some can appear incredibly docile and unaware while others can be alert and very cautious. Then there are the bears that have learned about garbage and have no fear.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM

Bears are really not hard to sneak up on. Piece of cake with a rifle but with a bow it is that last 50 yards or so to get within bow range. Like Trevor said it is their smell more than anything. I find as long as you are upwind and don't move when they look up at you you are all good.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Bears are really not hard to sneak up on. Piece of cake with a rifle but with a bow it is that last 50 yards or so to get within bow range. Like Trevor said it is their smell more than anything. I find as long as you are upwind and don't move when they look up at you you are all good.
upwind? you mean downwind don`t ya?Buy the look of that brown bear in your photo and your still alive you mean downwind.lol GOD he has a pumpkin head!!!!lol