Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 04:57 PM

Default Geeks put little kid on a 30lb plus pike!

https://youtu.be/ziLiB0juaL0
Old 01-26-2021, 04:58 PM

Soooo fat!
Old 01-26-2021, 06:04 PM

Tanker pike!!

Waiting.....
Old 01-26-2021, 06:42 PM

Out of the water for a full two minutes, why release it?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-26-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Out of the water for a full two minutes, why release it?
For who the video is from I’d like to think there was some editing involved and you don’t see them give her a drink between pictures,measuring and the release.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:56 PM

Amazing experience and fish for those youngsters. Something they will never forget.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:57 PM

Felt sorry for the pike. Out of the water that long in subzero conditions. Does not take long for eyes and fins to freeze.

Last edited by JohninAB; 01-26-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 AM

Laying on ice ,out to long ,no bumpboard ,Thought these guys were pros ,They better watch more Clayton schick videos.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:29 AM

Nice pike, poor handling of the fish though.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Felt sorry for the pike. Out of the water that long in subzero conditions. Does not take long for eyes and fins to freeze.
I'm just curious, Do you feel sorry for the pike when you drag him in by the face with half a dozen trebles ripped through his mouth?

I don't, but if you're that sensitive to fish handling, maybe fishing isn't for you.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
I'm just curious, Do you feel sorry for the pike when you drag him in by the face with half a dozen trebles ripped through his mouth?

I don't, but if you're that sensitive to fish handling, maybe fishing isn't for you.
If my detesting poor fish handling techniques bothers you, that is too bad for you.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:24 AM

We are not all perfect, I admit i've screwed up before. In the end we always try harder to improve.

This video was a little harder to swallow. In the end it is what it is. When I see 100 trucks on the ice I always assume 60% of them don't treat the fish with care and 20% poach.

We can criticise the way they handle it but in the end its probably better then most people that would have bonked it. The fish kicked away and we can assume its alive and well.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2021, 09:48 AM

So much negativity. Geez.

Such a turn off to post anything in this forum in in fear that I'll get the 3rd degree.

Last edited by mapleleafman3; 01-27-2021 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-2021, 09:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
For who the video is from I’d like to think there was some editing involved and you don’t see them give her a drink between pictures,measuring and the release.
exactly....trophy pike...just a beast...congrats to the young fella.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-27-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
If my detesting poor fish handling techniques bothers you, that is too bad for you.
Doesn't bother me at all. I was just curious as to where your line on the poor fishes well being you feel so bad for is.

If you've hunted or fished long enough , you're bound to have times when things don't go exactly the way you wanted them to go. Maybe that arrow flew a bit high or back, maybe that fish swallowed that hook and you know damn well it's toast.

You do the best you can with the circumstances you have. In this circumstance, it's obvious what's happening. A couple young fisherman caught what will probably be the best pike of their entire life, and the guides knowing this, took some extra Time with this fish to snap a few pics and gather the required measurements to make a replica mount for the kids. They brought the fish into a heated tent, did their thing and off it went. Was it perfect? Of course not. Will that fish die? Maybe.. but even if it dies , it'll be in that lake for the rest of the lakes eco system to consume.

We're sport fisherman. Every single time you toss a hook in the water you risk killing a fish you didn't intend to keep. That's the nature of the sport.

This is FAR from egregious fish handling. Perfect? No.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post

Such a turn off to post anything in this forum in in fear that I'll get the 3rd degree.
Yup. My post above says waiting.... waiting for this exact thing, you know it’s coming.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post

Just realize most of the people that always post negative comments have never caught a trophy fish, smile, and post away.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:16 PM

nice pike . looked like they tried to keep its eyes snow free at least . I think the pike would be alright . Pretty tough fish IMO
Old 01-27-2021, 12:48 PM

I viewed the video several times and there is something other than the pike that is fishy. The fishing rod should have been well bend over and being jerked about with such a large pike attached. The pike should at times have been running the line out.

It appears strange that the pike was so motionless as it was being pulled out of the hole and again so motionless when it was first placed on the surface of the ice. All pike put up a tremendous fight when grabbed by their necks and pulled out of the hole and the fight continues when they are first placed on the ice.

Since the video was made by a fishing guide, I suspect much of the video was staged to promote business for himself. There may have been more than one pike used in the video. The last pike appears very much alive and the one at the beginning maybe not so alive.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
I viewed the video several times and there is something other than the pike that is fishy. The fishing rod should have been well bend over and being jerked about with such a large pike attached. The pike should at times have been running the line out.

It appears strange that the pike was so motionless as it was being pulled out of the hole and again so motionless when it was first placed on the surface of the ice. All pike put up a tremendous fight when grabbed by their necks and pulled out of the hole and the fight continues when they are first placed on the ice.

Since the video was made by a fishing guide, I suspect much of the video was staged to promote business for himself. There may have been more than one pike used in the video. The last pike appears very much alive and the one at the beginning maybe not so alive.

These allegations are a little absurd.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I didn't really watch the video, but if what the guy says is true why is it so absurd to be suspicious? Konrads always go out of their way to hide what lures they are using and are definitely promoting themselves in their videos more than trying to help/teach. As someone that used to fish Walleye tournaments in the 90's, and knows lots of the stories of those boats that always seem to be running back to weigh-in 10lb+ fish in the first hour of the day from some remote location, nothing surprises me any more where money and fish are involved.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post

ohhhh my really...the biggest pike I ever seen caught came in like a log...in fact my wife thought she was snagged on the bottom until a few head shakes and one run then it just came in...out of the water it was playing dead..literally...measured, pics and then off it went in no real hurry...then we have caught them were from start to finish was like riding a bronc...you are a little off on your view but hey its your view....why cant people just see the fact that a little fella got one heck of a pike?

Old 01-27-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I didn't really watch the video, but if what the guy says is true why is it so absurd to be suspicious? Konrads always go out of their way to hide what lures they are using and are definitely promoting themselves in their videos more than trying to help/teach. As someone that used to fish Walleye tournaments in the 90's, and knows lots of the stories of those boats that always seem to be running back to weigh-in 10lb+ fish in the first hour of the day from some remote location, nothing surprises me any more where money and fish are involved.
should watch the vid....it's a epic moment for them.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I know there is always a cheater in tournaments and dishonest buttholes in any kind of competition but I dont think trying to bash a man trying to put food on the table for his family is the right thing to do.

The rod used is also a very stout haat rod and based on the video the drag was very loose and the pike took very long runs. Ofcourse with a stout rod and a loose drag the rod wont have an extreme bend am I right?
Beside this one fact. I feel people are sometimes too hard on small business owners. Trying to find the smallest thing to knock him down.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
should watch the vid....it's a epic moment for them.
Yeah I will watch it later. I'm sure they put their clients on some hogs on Dief.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:04 PM

This thread is an one of the examples why outdoors forums have less active members
Old 01-27-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah I will watch it later. I'm sure they put their clients on some hogs on Dief.
100% you will enjoy it! makes me want to check out the lake.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
ohhhh my really...the biggest pike I ever seen caught came in like a log...in fact my wife thought she was snagged on the bottom until a few head shakes and one run then it just came in...out of the water it was playing dead..literally...measured, pics and then off it went in no real hurry...then we have caught them were from start to finish was like riding a bronc...you are a little off on your view but hey its your view....why cant people just see the fact that a little fella got one heck of a pike?
Exactly. Moment of a lifetime for those kids.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
His allegations actually made me laugh out loud. So I guess that's a positive.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
This thread is an one of the examples why outdoors forums have less active members
Really? Think of it as a teaching moment. If someone has no idea how to release fish properly and they see this they pretty much feel pike are bullet proof. They are not, not doing your best to get a fish that is to be released back into the water as quickly as possible is immoral. What he did was poor fish handling, if it is not pointed out, new comers will not know. Nothing malicious about it. As a group we have to speak up when we see stuff like this.

Thomas Sowell