Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 06:30 PM
Banned

Default Cooey 600 22cal rifle worth?

A good friend has a Cooey 600 22 cal in pristine condition. the rifle is 50 years old, no serial number except a sticker sent to him by the good folks in New Brunswick. Can anyone give us an idea of what his rifle is worth?
Thanks in advance. The rifle is not for sale.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
a good friend has a cooey 600 22 cal in pristine condition. The rifle is 50 years old, no serial number except a sticker sent to him by the good folks in new brunswick. Can anyone give us an idea of what his rifle is worth?
Thanks in advance. The rifle is not for sale.
200-250
Old 09-20-2018, 07:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Of course it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

A collector with very deep pockets and a Cooey collection lacking just that one model could offer a few thousand dollars for it if there were other bidders.

Book says $100.00 tops, expect a lot of offers under $40.00 before anyone offers over $75.00

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-20-2018, 08:33 PM

I have 600 which is the Cooey Winchester brand as the Cooey was model 60 that is unfired in the box with all tags and have turned down $500.00 for it. Cooeys have dropped in price last few years so like as been said whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
Being someone who doesn’t sell my guns as they will be given to my kids when I take a dirt nap your friend should just enjoy it as a Cooey or two is a must have in any gun collection. A Canadian made gun that’s no more.
If it is in as nice as shape as you say then $200 is not unreasonable.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:46 PM

I’ve seen a few Cooeys in not as nice shape go for $150-200 at the auction. The book value of $100 seems a bit low as I’ve had a hard time finding even ok-fair condition single shots for my kids to start with go for under $100.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:54 PM
Banned

As I said, Nick isn't going to let it go and is looking at mounting a scope on her.. at 64, his eyes aren't working as well as they did when he was a young fella. I suggested a scope. His rifle has two holes on the left side of the receiver that are tapped for a scope mount. He's looking for the mount and rings. He was curious about the worth of this rifle..Thanks fellas..
Old 09-20-2018, 10:17 PM

If you knew how many Cooey 22s I've bought/sold...you'd see how hard I've tried to love the things. My last one was a 600, and in absolutely remarkable shape too. (metal perfect, wood about 90%) The model that was grooved for dovetail/rimfire rings. I ended-up gifting it to a friend who needed it for putting meat in the pot...I figured it (and my friend ) will be better served by the gun than I will, it was destined to live in the dark 362 days a year if I kept it.

Value? There are rare Cooeys out there like the model 35 pump, over-priced collectors like the broad-arrow-stamped model 82 (with peep sights, the only Cooey rimfire I do want now) that fetch big bucks, but unless the gun is basically unfired in a box, I'd be surprised if it fetched much more than $150...$175 on a good day. If it looks brand new and has nice wood...you might catch a Cooey buyer in an especially good mood. Seems most of these fetch around $125-$150, single shots like the 39 and 75~ $75-$125+. At least from what I've seen/experienced.

As for mounting the scope~I bought one of those offset mounts from Epp's here in Ontario, and while it worked fine...I don't think the scope sits exactly center/top on the receiver. It was years ago so I don't remember 100%, but I THINK it sits a little "left" of centre. I was setting it up for an older farmer friend of mine, he wanted it for pests around his property. I donated an old Bushnell 3-9, zeroed it with Federal ammo, and it's been plugging away ever since. Granted, it looked totally restored when I gave it back to him..but wasn't long before neglect turned that around 180. lol

They're good guns, but fantastic value for the price you can still find them. My NOT using them has more to do with having too many other 22s I prefer to shoot. I AM, however, a proud Canadian...so I have to have at least 1 Cooey in the house. In my case, a model 84 shotgun in 20ga, fixed/MOD choke. Paid $125 for it, and it'll be in the family as long as I'm looking down at the flowers and not up at them.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 PM

Seems like they are priced around 125-150 at gunshows.

But look at what an all plastic, super cheap savage rascal is worth new.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 PM

They are a nice shooting rifle, of the 5 or 6 22s i take tk the range with my wife, kids and nephews the 600 is the one that they all prefer.