Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-04-2018, 06:20 PM

Default CZ 527 trigger

I'm hoping that some of you folks have tinkered with the CZ 527 trigger. I have one of these rifles in .223 with the set trigger. The set trigger sucks, at least in comparison to my Sako set triggers, but it's the regular trigger pull that really bothers me.

It's horrific, a creepy, unpredictable mess. Do I need to take this to a smith? Or can I get rid of the creep and overtravel fairly easily on my own?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:29 PM

I have taken the creep out of two of these triggers. It took very little adjustment, the hardest part was loosening the locknut on the adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqcwFciaVbc
Old 09-04-2018, 06:39 PM
Banned

I have one and got to a crisp 2.25 lbs but if the creep comes back with only minimal shooting then that screw loosened off, i loctited that one with blue, holding fine, if creep comes back again I’ll break out the red

It’s worth it, amazing trigger, ignore the set trigger
Old 09-04-2018, 06:52 PM

That's helpful, thanks. I'll take a crack at it myself then, was just a little worried since the trigger is so poor as is.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Banned

Yes when not adjusted it’s gross
Old 09-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
It’s worth it, amazing trigger, ignore the set trigger
The set trigger is indeed bad, way too far to set, and it's like a bear trap when it breaks. I have a couple of Sako set triggers that are miles better, set with minimum forward movement and easily eighth the index finger, and they don't break like a bull out of the chute.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:51 PM

http://cz-usa.com/news/the-cz-single...rigger-system/

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-04-2018, 09:38 PM

Thanks folks, sounds like some of you have had success with this trigger. I have adjusted triggers before and am not afraid of them, but I've never adjusted a trigger that's this bad before, just didn't want to waste my time if it needed a smith to make it better.

I'll take a crack at it and see how it goes.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Banned

Fantastic trigger imo. Tikka Sako maybe a little better but you’ll see, you almost need to load that creep screw to take it to clean crisp and when you do it’ll drop it from 2.75 lb pull to 2.25 and the creep is 99% gone if the Tikka Sako is say 100% creep free. You have to go pretty dang slow and really look for it to find it...if you can. You’ll see when you play with it. You’ll be happy when done.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 PM

To be clear, it's not the worst trigger I've ever shot, but I've never tinkered with non-adjustable lawyer triggers. It's pretty much on par with the Ruger Hawkeye LC6 or whatever they call it, but that trigger isn't adjustable.

If it doesn't clean up, I assume there are aftermarket options for replacement. I really like how the mini action runs, it's a nice rifle.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 PM

I fixed mine by installing a Rifle Basix.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Fantastic trigger imo. Tikka Sako maybe a little better but you’ll see, you almost need to load that creep screw to take it to clean crisp and when you do it’ll drop it from 2.75 lb pull to 2.25 and the creep is 99% gone if the Tikka Sako is say 100% creep free. You have to go pretty dang slow and really look for it to find it...if you can. You’ll see when you play with it. You’ll be happy when done.
I'm used to Sako triggers, and I have a Ruger Hawkeye predator that has a nice two stage trigger as well.

Some might accuse me of being a fanboy, but the Sako factory triggers are all I need, I'm not looking for a bench rest trigger after all.

That said, the Hawkeye predator two stage is a very good trigger as well, a bit different, but clean and light enough. If this trigger breaks that clean, I'll be more than satisfied.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
I fixed mine by installing a Rifle Basix.
You put a rifle basix in a CZ 527? I used one in my old Ruger Hawkeye, but hopefully this doesn't come to a trigger replacement.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:00 PM

i had a 550 and have a 527. the 550 i could not get down to reasonable creep it was either creepy or the bolt would not cock although i got the weight ok. the 527 has a stop almost like a two stage then breaks nice i can actually hear it slide into the stop. both these triggers must have grossly machined surfaces
Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 PM

Default Rifle Basix

I'll be putting one in my 7.62x39 carbine.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
i had a 550 and have a 527. the 550 i could not get down to reasonable creep it was either creepy or the bolt would not cock although i got the weight ok. the 527 has a stop almost like a two stage then breaks nice i can actually hear it slide into the stop. both these triggers must have grossly machined surfaces
Though the internet is full of people waxing eloquent shout CZ rifles, nearly every one I've ever looked at has had poor metal finishing with tool marks visible.

My 527 is one of the "ebony edition" models and is nicely finished so far as you can tell without taking it out of the stock. I guess I'll find out if they took the same care on the inside as on the outside. Based on the way the trigger is from the factory, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
I'm used to Sako triggers, and I have a Ruger Hawkeye predator that has a nice two stage trigger as well.

Some might accuse me of being a fanboy, but the Sako factory triggers are all I need, I'm not looking for a bench rest trigger after all.

That said, the Hawkeye predator two stage is a very good trigger as well, a bit different, but clean and light enough. If this trigger breaks that clean, I'll be more than satisfied.
Sounds like couple guys have had some bad ones, I’ve had a few and all were nearly as good as a Tikka or Sako imo. But yes you need to do the adjusting. I have a very nice 2.25 lb crisp single stage on my pretty new 527. I’m a Tikka Sako fan also. I’m betting you’ll get there. Getting the weight minimal is easy. It’s the creep screw that’ll move on ya and can be finicky. It’s got a narrow range of bliss. That’s why I learned it then blue loctite and set again and then cure overnight before playing again. Couple boxes and lots of dry fires since and we’re golden.

The weight one brings you to about 2 3/4 lb. as said the creep one you’ll see as you adjust the creep out you need to just load the trigger to do so, there’s a small range there. You’ll see as you play with it, it’s easy
Old 09-04-2018, 10:21 PM

Yes, it's not the weight I'm worried about, it's the creep. I'll be happy if it's 3lbs, as long as it's clean.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Though the internet is full of people waxing eloquent shout CZ rifles, nearly every one I've ever looked at has had poor metal finishing with tool marks visible.

My 527 is one of the "ebony edition" models and is nicely finished so far as you can tell without taking it out of the stock. I guess I'll find out if they took the same care on the inside as on the outside. Based on the way the trigger is from the factory, I'm not holding my breath.
Other cz pains are they are rough agricultural out of the box. I slobber JB bore paste in the action and cycle a few hundred times. Strip and clean and lube properly including the bolt and they become amazing! Worth the effort imo, diamond in the ruff but you have to polish. My smith pillar beds and crowns also. I fall deeply for these when you do all this.

Good luck.

Oh ya...polish the feed lips of magazine. Also leave magazine loaded with five to weaken that stiff azz spring a bit. All helps to get it cycling slick like whale shlt on an ice berg.😉
Old 09-04-2018, 10:23 PM
Banned

Pics pls and if in Calgary would happy to help. Big cz 527 fan here.✌️
Old 09-04-2018, 10:45 PM

I'll take some photos when I have the chance tomorrow. Urs a 3 round mag though, so not sure how I'll leave five in the mag ��
Old 09-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'll take some photos when I have the chance tomorrow. Urs a 3 round mag though, so not sure how I'll leave five in the mag ��
Sounds like a nice one...too nice for me perhaps. Now I really want to see it. What cartridge is it chambered in?

Edit, I googled it. Jewelled bolt, polished action, the ripple finish barrel, flush fit 3 round mag, .223, at 22” and beauty stock. Nice rifle! I have some envy. But not a lot if they do a 24” 6.5 Grendel in that edition I’ll have way more envy.😉

They get slicker and slicker in time, you’ll grow to love that little rig. Scope fitment can be touch and go. Short eye relief scopes work best imo. Running a Leupold fxII 4x33 on mine. Has the shortest space from turret back I could find. Was holding moa groups at 200 the other day laying in a field, so I’m happy, shoots better than me as usual as even with half moa guns on bench I rarely shoot better than moa in field cond.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-04-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:15 AM

If you know what you are doing both the set trigger and the regular trigger can easily be adjusted to be great triggers. No creep, and light trigger pull on standard to VERY light, as in under 6 ounces on the set trigger. A little work with a hard Arkansas never hurt any trigger, even the Sako and Tikas that I have tuned. Whoever said lock tight the main nut with Blue when done was spot on. The rest of the adjustments just need to be tight, no sealer required.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:57 PM

Don't laugh at the oversized scope. The rifle came qith CZ 1" rings and I tried a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42, but couldn't get the eyebox to fall in place naturally. So I bought Leupold 30mm rings, which actually brings the centre of the eyepiece just a bit lower, and moved this Leica ER 5 2-10X50 from my Ruger Hawkeye Predator 6.5 creed.

Eye relief is much better with this scope, and it comes to eye much better, so I'm overall happier with it, though it does look oversized for this rifle. The balance is nice though, it's not an overly heavy scope.

I still haven't had a chance to dig into the trigger, but will do so soon as I like the rifle, but the trigger is unusable as is.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Banned

What a beauty!!!
Old 09-08-2018, 10:15 PM

Not a big fan of the set trigger it messes with my length of pull ( I have short little fat fingers) But I have adjusted My 550 and my 527 both work just fine.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Finally took a crack at the trigger, and it cleaned up much better than I expected. I have never measured a trigger pull, and don't really have any interest in doing so, I know when I like a trigger, but creep is gone and it breaks clean and light.

I'm overall happy, it's nice that CZ offers rifles with such an easily tailored trigger. Downsides are that the trigger is still sloppy side to side, and the set trigger has way too much travel in it.

Honestly, this set trigger seems downright gimmicky when compared with the far superiour set triggers on my Sako rifles. Yeah, it's light, but it has way to much movement forward to set, and goes off like a catapult.

If it wasn't for that damned side wiggle, the regular trigger would be perfect as is, but I'm guessing that could only be solved with a replacement unit.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Finally took a crack at the trigger, and it cleaned up much better than I expected. I have never measured a trigger pull, and don't really have any interest in doing so, I know when I like a trigger, but creep is gone and it breaks clean and light.

I'm overall happy, it's nice that CZ offers rifles with such an easily tailored trigger. Downsides are that the trigger is still sloppy side to side, and the set trigger has way too much travel in it.

Honestly, this set trigger seems downright gimmicky when compared with the far superiour set triggers on my Sako rifles. Yeah, it's light, but it has way to much movement forward to set, and goes off like a catapult.

If it wasn't for that damned side wiggle, the regular trigger would be perfect as is, but I'm guessing that could only be solved with a replacement unit.
From your description of the set trigger you don't have it set anywhere near correct. It takes some work but they are an excellent set trigger when set correctly. As to the side to side movement of the trigger, none of my current
or past CZs, have that issue. I would have to look at it but my bet is that is easily fixed too.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
From your description of the set trigger you don't have it set anywhere near correct. It takes some work but they are an excellent set trigger when set correctly. As to the side to side movement of the trigger, none of my current
or past CZs, have that issue. I would have to look at it but my bet is that is easily fixed too.
I'm sure that the trigger is setup correctly, after all, there's no way to shorten the set distance by adjusting the screws.

My first complaint is the distance you have to push the trigger forward of the standard trigger position in order to engage it. This is not user adjustable, the set trigger is plenty light and clean, but you have to actually adjust your grip slightly from the standard trigger hand position. The only other set trigger I have experience with is the Sako unit, and it has a noticeably shorter set distance.

Second complaint is that it goes off a LOT more violently that the standard trigger, once again this is not something that can be adjusted, it's part of the design. Now I haven't played with any other set triggers, but the Sako, while a bit more jumpy than the standard trigger, isn't nearly as jumpy as the CZ unit.

As to the standard trigger, I'm very happy with it now, the main problem had been creep (tons of it, and gritty too) and over travel. But.....there's no mistaking the fact that the trigger blade has some side to side wiggle room which isn't a deal breaker, I think.

The fact is, it breaks light and clean, I'm very happy with it, but I can't see myself using the set trigger which I don't like for the reasons stated.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Banned

Mine haven’t had that side to side, I’d get it looked at or replaced. My current set trigger goes off like yours and isn’t very light either but I didn’t bother to try and adjust, I don’t shoot better with it. I seem to shoot better when I hold and fire with conviction, free recoiling and the light set never proved accurate for me, bear down and I’ll see half moa at times but usually sub moa to moa in my hands