Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Default Need Ppl for Sept Hike into Fortress Lake BC

Looking for partners to do the hike into Fortress Lake BC this September. Guy I was going with bailed. Dates would be September 14th to 17th or 22nd to 25th. PM me or reach out on here to connect.

Hike is 20kms, but first half is on a bike. The hike has marginal elevation gain. It is back country camping so you must travel light, bring food, small cook stove, etc. Need a float tube or pack raft in order to properly fish the lake. Two river crossings involved. Experience isn't crucial, but must be adaptable, mentally tough and able to cope with mother nature.

Fortress Lake is probably one of the best (if not the best) Brook Trout fisheries in Western Canada. Average size Brookies of around 5 lbs and up to 10lbs can be caught here. The fall is the best time to fish the area since river flows are low and crossings are safer. The Brookies are all coloured up nice and pretty and packing on the pounds getting ready for the spawn and winter.

I know folks on here have done the hike before and post pictures, so do a search of the forums, or just google Fortress Lake BC, to see for yourself. This is truly a bucket list trip for any angler. There is a lodge on Fortress but a 3 day trip starts at $3,500 so this is the poor man's way to get it done.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:13 AM

September is hunting season for me. If you want to go next July or August let me know.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:56 PM

It’s on my bucket list also. I wish I could join you but I am unable to make it work this year. If this is a yearly trip, pm me and I may be able to start the planning for next year.

Daryl
Old 08-22-2018, 06:29 PM

Are you aware that currently it appears impossible to hike to (unless I am reading things wrong.)

"On October 1, 2014, the suspension bridge which crosses the Athabasca River in Jasper National Park, along the land access route to Hamber Park, failed.

Fording the Athabasca River is not recommended. There is no estimated time for repair or replacement of this bridge."

"Note: the suspension bridge over the Athabasca River washed away in 2014 making the crossing of the River impassable. Fortress Lake is unreachable. "
Old 08-22-2018, 08:28 PM

Yes, you are correct... The suspension bridge is out. As for crossing the river on foot, I can’t comment on that because I have never done it. An inflatable kayak packed in would make the crossings a breeze.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:03 PM

here is Heff's post when him /Rye n another guy just did the hike

if you have question's ask him or Rye(On-line sports Jasper )

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=fortress+lake

David
Old 08-22-2018, 11:17 PM
Banned

This is something I would set as a goal for Fall 2019. It would be a big goal from a physical standpoint but one I would be extremely excited about.

Anyone want to help a old fat guy get in shape. Obviously its not for you to do the work but knowing thats what was coming would be some awesome inspiration.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
This is something I would set as a goal for Fall 2019. It would be a big goal from a physical standpoint but one I would be extremely excited about.

Anyone want to help a old fat guy get in shape. Obviously its not for you to do the work but knowing thats what was coming would be some awesome inspiration.
im in for next sept. shoot me a pm and we can work on the fat guy thing together. for homework though Jamie, check out Spartan 3 week warmup.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:01 AM

The way things are looking I might just pony up the cash and fly in this year. Fishing this place has been my dream for a long time so I don't mind so much.

@Gerald - yes, very aware of bridge being out. The Athabasca can still be crossed in spring and fall as flows are low at those times. Folks do it every year. Heff from the forum went last season and I have chatted with him extensively about his experience and got lots of good info and advice about the hike and fishing. I'm more worried about bears, the weather and being warm enough over night. The rivers are the least of my concerns for the time I plan to make the hike.

The hike is actually not that demanding: It's total 25km one way (so it's long), but you can bike the first 12km or so and the hike is mostly level with little elevation gain. If you've ever done the Kananaskis Lake loop you can do this hike.

The hike to Fortress can be done in one day or spread out over two with a night spent at either Big Bend campground or Athabasca Crossing campground.

I'll play it by ear here for another week or two and see if anyone volunteers to go, if not I'll fly in then touch base with folks sometime in the new year for a hike in 2019.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:50 PM

I have run across the new owners a few times. Very good guys.

They are pretty accommodating, if you contacted them, and the boats aren’t busy, I’m sure they would let you rent a boat.

I think they may even let you do the hike and stay option, saw pics on Instagram of some guys doing the same thing.

Worth a try.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 PM

Me and three friends attempted fortress lake last weekend. Two of them had packrafts, unfortunately me and one other did not. The Athabasca crossing was impassable on foot. I bushwhacked 3 km up the river looking for a spot to cross but the rapids got worse. Best place to even attempt was at the confluence with the Chaba. I waded in up to my knees but the current started to wash my feet out from under me.

The two that made it across in the packrafts said they wouldn’t be doing it again unless they did it over 5 days. Both are experienced hikers. The trail after the crossing was overgrown in sections and washed out in others. Lots of wading. To top the trip off it was difficult for them to find fish.

It’s 15 kms to the athabasca crossing. Good single track mountain bike trail. About 2.5h to bike and 4.5h to walk. A few downed trees but very manageable.

The hike from athabasca to fortress is more like 12 kms instead of 9 like the signage says. And it took them about 6 hours to complete that section.

If the water level drops significantly over the next couple weeks you might make it but fishing from shore will not be easy.

Of course I will attempt it again in the spring but I will be gearing up with a packraft.

Last edited by StringTheory; 08-24-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk View Post
Me and three friends attempted fortress lake last weekend. Two of them had packrafts, unfortunately me and one other did not. The Athabasca crossing was impassable on foot. I bushwhacked 3 km up the river looking for a spot to cross but the rapids got worse. Best place to even attempt was at the confluence with the Chaba. I waded in up to my knees but the current started to wash my feet out from under me.

The two that made it across in the packrafts said they wouldn’t be doing it again unless they did it over 5 days. Both are experienced hikers. The trail after the crossing was overgrown in sections and washed out in others. Lots of wading. To top the trip off it was difficult for them to find fish.

It’s 15 kms to the athabasca crossing. Good single track mountain bike trail. About 2.5h to bike and 4.5h to walk. A few downed trees but very manageable.

The hike from athabasca to fortress is more like 12 kms instead of 9 like the signage says. And it took them about 6 hours to complete that section.

If the water level drops significantly over the next couple weeks you might make it but fishing from shore will not be easy.

Of course I will attempt it again in the spring but I will be gearing up with a packraft.

I’m curious , did they not find the correct trail ? Did they just follow the Chaba upstream or something ? I’ve done this trail numerous times and from the crossing to fortress doesn’t take 6 hours, unless of course they were just taking their time and lots and lots of breaks . Last year it took us 7 hours total to get in from the trail head , and that was to fortress creek. A packraft is a must for the trip, not just for the river crossing in high flows , but to get around on the lake
Old 09-16-2018, 08:49 AM

throw me on the list bought the gear 3 years ago but my buddy bailed on me . i was planning on doing 7 days .
Old 09-16-2018, 02:08 PM

What are you all using for a pack raft? I’ve got 2 plastic kayaks and I’m attempting to build a kayak cart that I can also attach to a bike. I’m wondering if this would be a usable option for this trail? If there is any bushwhacking, it would be difficult. I’ve contemplated purchasing an inflatable kayak or a fish cat pontoon... or even taking out the paddle board.

Daryl
Old 09-17-2018, 11:19 PM

Three years ago I wanted to do this hike and read that the bridge was taken out by the floods so it has kept me from even considering it. I was hoping they would rebuild the bridge. Seems like demand is not there possibly for Parks Canada to consider it.

A pack raft is basically shapes like one of those explorer 200 rafts people have at the beach from canadian tire. Only the material is much better and lighter then those explorer 200 rafts which allows you to carry them into the backcountry and have a decent floating vessel to get out on the water with. I have seen those explorer rafts get so many people in trouble from near drownings due to deflating or being blown across the lake. It blows my friggin mind the stupidity sometimes.

On a side note, i would not drag in a plastic kayak inless you plan on leaving it hidden in the bushes halfway there.

Last edited by PwhyTwhy; 09-17-2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-19-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robins36 View Post
What are you all using for a pack raft? I’ve got 2 plastic kayaks and I’m attempting to build a kayak cart that I can also attach to a bike. I’m wondering if this would be a usable option for this trail? If there is any bushwhacking, it would be difficult. I’ve contemplated purchasing an inflatable kayak or a fish cat pontoon... or even taking out the paddle board.

Daryl
Not the trip for a plastic kayak or a paddleboard. You'd get it to the Athabasca Crossing if you tried, but it would be completely unmanageable from there to Fortress. The go-to packrafts these days are from a company called Alpacka. There are also some decent offerings from a company called Kokopelli.

HK
Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 PM

Anybody have any news on the bridge ? Or have recently done this hike ? Planning on going in September.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:59 PM

Default No news is bad news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
Anybody have any news on the bridge ? Or have recently done this hike ? Planning on going in September.
The last info I got - someone correct me here - is that (1) they haven't rebuilt the bridge and (2) there are no plans to ever rebuild it.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:25 PM

wow this sounds like a journey lol I hiked from abraham to allstone lake with my wife two years ago and i thought that was difficult. Fortress lake sounds like death.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-19-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
The last info I got - someone correct me here - is that (1) they haven't rebuilt the bridge and (2) there are no plans to ever rebuild it.

Yup. Same as I have heard from Parks Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2020, 09:34 PM

Well, this trip has been added to my bucket list. Sounds like a real adventure.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:53 AM

Been there several times.

Best way to get back is to put your raft in at the Chaba / Athabasca and go all the way to the HWY, just north of Sunwapta Falls Lodge.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:56 AM

Or save your feet from walking, or your life from going under, and hoop in the helicopter on Hwy 11 they will fly you in, I was lucky a few years ago my buddy has a plane with floats, the lodge owners gave us a better rate, I do have there number is any body needs it.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Or save your feet from walking, or your life from going under, and hoop in the helicopter on Hwy 11 they will fly you in, I was lucky a few years ago my buddy has a plane with floats, the lodge owners gave us a better rate, I do have there number is any body needs it.
This option I like! Send it my way when you get a minute. Might be time for a Sept fly-in.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2020, 04:22 PM

I don't know how many can fit in the chopper, but that idea sounds better than chancing the river
Old 06-22-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
I don't know how many can fit in the chopper, but that idea sounds better than chancing the river
Im sure 3+1 pilot, plus gear, will fit in the helicopter.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:10 PM

As for as I know the only way to fly in is either on a private plane / chopper, or by booking through the lodge. There's no option to hire a chopper to fly you in.