Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
As they should be.. If buddy spends an extra $100 million on LRT expansion/fieldhouse/arena/housing/etc., you think the province/nation should be left holding the bag?
Fair enough, but then (and I know this could never happen, but let's talk theoretically), what would you say to limiting the plebiscite voters to only those who pay taxes to the City? Wouldn't that be more equitable than including votes from those who wouldn't feel the financial burden of cost overruns?

It's easy to spend someone else's money when there is no risk of financial responsibility.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post

It's easy to spend someone else's money when there is no risk of financial responsibility.
Yup and governments have lived by that credo for eons. That's why I wouldn't dare trust them with a project with a price tag the size of this one.

With respect to limiting the plebiscite to civic tax payers, that's a tough one. Renters would say increased civic taxes are reflected in their rent increases although we know it's not that simple.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Fair enough, but then (and I know this could never happen, but let's talk theoretically), what would you say to limiting the plebiscite voters to only those who pay taxes to the City?
I'd be somewhat okay with, somewhat not. The reason being that, as a Provincial and Federal tax payer, I'm also contributing. Not to the same degree, granted, but I also won't see nearly the benefit.

In theory, this should be a no brainer, getting Legacy Projects and infrastructure for 1/4 of the price, with the IOC, Province, and Federal government all kicking in. In theory however, with government running the projects, it could be a disaster.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
As they should be.. If buddy spends an extra $100 million on LRT expansion/fieldhouse/arena/housing/etc., you think the province/nation should be left holding the bag?
Agreed, scrap it, no-one wants it.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Agreed, scrap it, no-one wants it.
All the information was to have been provided 30 days prior to voting. Advance voting is this Tuesday and Wednesday and major financial commitments are still not in........

What a bunch of bull crap; worst train wreck ever..... $$$$$$$$.

NO, NO, NO......oh yeah, I forgot I only have one vote; so I vote one NO....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:05 PM

And now the yes side has brought Eddie the eagle over to sell the show to the dirty unwashed masses. It's funny and telling that the only person anyone can remember from the 88 games was a sideshow at best. In published interviews at the time, the serious competitors were whining about all the press coverage going to a joke entrant and not to those who had trained so hard for so long. No-one cares or remembers who took medals in bobsled but they do remember the Jamaican team because it was a sideshow too. IOC should pay the host cities to put on the show and leave us besieged taxpayers alone.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 PM

Sounds like alot of cash wanted without facts of where it will be spent.

Honestly I dont think the city of Calgary and its corrupted government needs to worry about the Olympics...They truly need to focus on getting the city functioning again..

Is that horrible peice of rusty metal they called art work still there?
Old 11-06-2018, 01:11 PM

It is funny that Spenshi was looking to cancel the bid a couple weeks ago and then yesterday he was at the pro Olympic rally. Getting the Olympics would be the best way to cover up his spending habit!