Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2007, 04:05 AM

Post Hunter Sueing Outfitter

An American big game hunter who successfully bid on a guided moose hunt near Fort Assiniboine in a fundraising auction is suing outfitter Allyn Holdings Inc., hunting guide Allan Colp and Barrhead Motor Sport Ltd. for $121,000 after being injured when he was thrown from an ATV.

In a Nov. 2 statement of claim, Gerald Schleicher of Pinckney, Mich., alleges Colp told him to stand in the ATV's cargo area and he was ejected when it lunged forward due to Colp's driving on Nov. 3, 2005.

Schleicher claims he suffered a fractured neck, knee damage and mental distress from not being able to complete the hunt.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:10 AM

Well you can pretty much say goodbye to hunts being donated for fund raising.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 AM

I bet the guy even signed a waiver before going on the hunt as well!
People these days will sue for anything, and the courts are so politically correct that they will often award to the igjits.
Look a the woman who sued MacDonalds becaus ethe coffee burned her.
HELLO??!! She was driving with it in her lap!!
Cat
Old 11-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Nationwide

Quote:
Colp told him to stand in the ATV's cargo area and he was ejected when it lunged forward due to Colp's driving on
. ???? a little common sense would of went a long ways . I wonder if he told him to jump off a bridge would he.

Quote:
russ Well you can pretty much say goodbye to hunts being donated for fund raising.
I would bet most will think twice before donating a hunt.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I bet the guy even signed a waiver before going on the hunt as well!
People these days will sue for anything, and the courts are so politically correct that they will often award to the igjits.
Look a the woman who sued MacDonalds becaus ethe coffee burned her.
HELLO??!! She was driving with it in her lap!!
Cat
not that i agree with the law suite...but if you look at it..(we had to in a university class about risk management) she didn't sue because she spilled the coffee and it was hot..she freely admitted that it was a dumb thing to do and that coffee by nature should be hot. where the argument was was with the actual temp of the coffee. the degree and amount of burns she received from the spilled coffee was more and deeper than should have occurred from the legal max. temp of coffee set out by the FDA. so McDonalds was liable for negligence by knowingly selling coffee that was way over the legal temperature level.

it is similar (i n theory) to getting into an accident with someone going the speed limit..and someone speeding.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
700TI

The first 2 words in this topic explains everything. I don't think he will get much going through the canadian courts.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700TI View Post
The first 2 words in this topic explains everything. I don't think he will get much going through the canadian courts.
haha let's hope so!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
not that i agree with the law suite...but if you look at it..(we had to in a university class about risk management) she didn't sue because she spilled the coffee and it was hot..she freely admitted that it was a dumb thing to do and that coffee by nature should be hot. where the argument was was with the actual temp of the coffee. the degree and amount of burns she received from the spilled coffee was more and deeper than should have occurred from the legal max. temp of coffee set out by the FDA. so McDonalds was liable for negligence by knowingly selling coffee that was way over the legal temperature level.

it is similar (i n theory) to getting into an accident with someone going the speed limit..and someone speeding.
Also I believe she needed many skin grafts from the burns, and the judge later reduced her award to a more resonable number not in the millions.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseburger View Post
In a Nov. 2 statement of claim, Gerald Schleicher of Pinckney, Mich., alleges Colp told him to stand in the ATV's cargo area and he was ejected when it lunged forward due to Colp's driving on Nov. 3, 2005.

Schleicher claims he suffered a fractured neck, knee damage and mental distress from not being able to complete the hunt.
Gotta be a bit more to the story than this?
Cat
Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 AM

Default outfitter being sued

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Gotta be a bit more to the story than this?
Cat
sorry, but that is all there was, in the who's sueing who, in the edmonton sun.
I guess there probly is as there always two sides to a story, but this is all that was reported.

mooseburger
Old 11-13-2007, 08:49 AM

Haha...maybe he should have read his waiver......I dont know of a single outfitter that wouldnt have a really good waiver to cover his behind....

Some guys will do anything for money.....