Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 PM

Default Line counters

Okay, so I'm sort of getting into the lake trout thing and I want to get myself a line counter of some sort. I'm boatless though, so I'm dependent on a couple friends who have boats to get out there, so that means that I honestly won't be going for them that often. I was out for the first time yesterday for them, and I was using a regular spinning reel and that was fine, but I often found myself wondering where exactly in the water column I was. If I was close enough to the boat the sonar would usually pick up my lure and I could go by that, but when the wind was pushing us around that didn't work so hot. Counted by line pulls and got pretty accurate with that, but a line counter just seems so much easier.

So that being said, are any of those little clip-on style line counters any good for occasional use, or should I be looking at an inexpensive line counter reel for the odd occasion?

It won't be something I use *that* often, so I really don't want to spend too much money if I don't have to.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

There was a couple of cabela's depthmaster ii rods and reels on buy and sell
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Cool, thanks for the heads up Horse

I shot the guy a PM, but I saw that somebody else did already as well. We shall see how it pans out. Don't really need *another* rod but hey, I'm enjoying the variety of stuff I've come to acquire

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Cool, thanks for the heads up Horse

I shot the guy a PM, but I saw that somebody else did already as well. We shall see how it pans out. Don't really need *another* rod but hey, I'm enjoying the variety of stuff I've come to acquire
No problem hope he's still got one if he's still got both and you can make a deal and want to get rid of one pm me sure we can deal
Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
No problem hope he's still got one if he's still got both and you can make a deal and want to get rid of one pm me sure we can deal
Sounds good

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 PM

Jay at the rate you are aquiring stuff youll need another trailer just for you fishing stuff!

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM

I think for the occasional use the clip on's would be alright.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 AM

I would go with a line counter reel for sure over the clip on. Ebay is another place to find them used. Just be cautious about shipping costs. Rick.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Jay at the rate you are aquiring stuff youll need another trailer just for you fishing stuff!
Hmmm...a fishing trailer, now you're thinking!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-04-2011, 09:29 AM

Oh, and I'm picking up those trolling rods/reels from troyfitt in a day or two

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Great, now we'll have two rods in the boat capable of landing a small orcha whale......GAME ON!!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Great, now we'll have two rods in the boat capable of landing a small orcha whale......GAME ON!!
Let's do it!!

I've got a spare if Mike wants one too

edit: and the battery on my phone is shot til tomorrow morning so don't bother messaging me on it

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams