Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-08-2019, 06:11 AM

Default Flock Shooting

I was just watching a show on television, where a fellow emptied his gun at geese, and then declared that he must have hit them, because he shot at three together, and couldn't have missed them all. This demonstrates two common mistakes that people make, one is flock shooting, not picking one particular bird, and the other is shooting at birds that are put of range. He was using high dollar 3-1/2" loads, but when you don't hit the birds, or are out of range, it doesn't matter what you shoot.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I was just watching a show on television, where a fellow emptied his gun at geese, and then declared that he must have hit them, because he shot at three together, and couldn't have missed them all. This demonstrates two common mistakes that people make, one is flock shooting, not picking one particular bird, and the other is shooting at birds that are put of range. He was using high dollar 3-1/2" loads, but when you don't hit the birds, or are out of range, it doesn't matter what you shoot.
Exactly!!...which is a good reason for limiting shotguns to three rounds for migratory..
Old 06-08-2019, 06:40 AM

Ill trained: this fellow should get a mentor, or similar(who has some real knowledge)

Ill prepared: probably never patterned his shotgun, or shot clays with it(hi dollar loads don’t always mean better shooting loads)

Blissfully ignorant: going and saying what he did(flock shooting) on a TV show, even if it did happen, that clip should have never aired(again ill trained)

We’ve all done it at one point, usually when we are younger, we learnt from it, but seldom did we boast about it, and therefore removing all doubt.

The scourge of every wanna be having a TV show or a YouTube account, it gives the antis all the ammo they need, to yet again show how irresponsible sportsmen can be(big broad brush strokes)

There are no absolutes
Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Which show was that?
Old 06-08-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Which show was that?
I think it was called "Canada Hunts East".
Old 06-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Banned

That one ranks up there with rawhide
A better episode is when they go to a deer ranch in sask and have a hard time connecting
👎👎
Old 06-08-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Nope, it dont matter...
Be interested in the guys credentials as a sportsman.
As in how long he has been hunting waterfowl.
Spray and pray doesnt work.
Rob
Old 06-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I think it was called "Canada Hunts East".

That explains it all right there.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:59 AM

I basically refuse to watch any TV hunting or fishing show. So much of each show is just filler, probably shot after the fact and so much is pushing the latest and greatest thing that you could have never fished or hunted without.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:21 PM

I happened to catch that show last Sat AM, it was on when I went for breakfast at the Husky, on my way to the CCFR AGM. It surprised me to see it on in the first place, was on City TV yet.
Thought it looked a lot like spray and pray, there was a lot of "if they come close enough". Didn't look like the greatest setup, but, they got some birds.
It reminded me why I quit with cable tv.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Once met a guy who admitted to "sound shooting" . Hear a noise in the bush and let fly. Very Scary.

Grizz
Old 06-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Default flock shooting

I was young once too. In willows when mallards came in by hundreds and landed all around me. Only had single shot 16 gauge probably number 4's.
When I stood up the sky was black with green heads. Shot once picked up 12 ducks, flock shooting works sometimes. Had to carry them 2 miles home, glad I did not have a 12 gauge pump.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I happened to catch that show last Sat AM, it was on when I went for breakfast at the Husky, on my way to the CCFR AGM. It surprised me to see it on in the first place, was on City TV yet.
Thought it looked a lot like spray and pray, there was a lot of "if they come close enough". Didn't look like the greatest setup, but, they got some birds.
It reminded me why I quit with cable tv.
"Close enough" to them, seemed to be , if we empty our guns and maybe fluke one bird, they are "close enough". And they emptied their guns multiple times, and got no birds.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I was young once too. In willows when mallards came in by hundreds and landed all around me. Only had single shot 16 gauge probably number 4's.
When I stood up the sky was black with green heads. Shot once picked up 12 ducks, flock shooting works sometimes. Had to carry them 2 miles home, glad I did not have a 12 gauge pump.
Nice hunting !
Not so much sportish, but 12 greenheads with one shot is unforgettable experience for sure
S12
Old 06-11-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
When I stood up the sky was black with green heads. Shot once picked up 12Wher ducks, flock shooting w sometimes. Had to carry them 2 miles home, glad I did not have a 12 gauge pump.
Where were you hunting? I've hunted waterfowl a long time in Alberta and can't remember a time when the daily limit was as high as 12 ducks.😊
Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 AM

I'm not surprised that it was "Canada hunts" I have a relative that was one of the camera guys for a few episodes of that show. Some of the stories that he could tell make flock shooting sound sportsmanlike.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM

270 when I was a 14 year old kid with a single shot 16 gauge could not control how many ducks dropped with 1 shot. In the 50's in Northern Alberta we hunted for food and feathers for pillows, not for sport.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
270 when I was a 14 year old kid with a single shot 16 gauge could not control how many ducks dropped with 1 shot. In the 50's in Northern Alberta we hunted for food and feathers for pillows, not for sport.
Technically , it is up to the hunter to not shoot more than his bag limit, whether it's too many waterfowl with a shotgun, or two deer with one shot from a rifle, That being said, my father told me of his experiences during WW2, where as a 13-14 year old, he would sneak down to the slough, and line up as many ducks as he could, hoping to kill as many ducks as possible, to provide food for the family. In those days, ammunition was scarce, and it was about food, not sport.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
No problem, Grey Wolf, and certainly no offence intended. Sometimes I just can't resist the opportunity to make a wise crack when the opportunity presents itself. You are absolutely correct that things were much different back in the 50s. I'm glad that there are still some of us around who remember those days.
Cheers.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM

Had an instance like that one day. Spooked ducks out of a flooded peafield corner at first light, sat and waited for them to return. Then when the balls returned and set down again, had to stop and think--whoa, they're mostly pintails, pick the edges!! I was a bit spooked on that one. That could have turned into a clusterflop real quick.