Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Well I was going to 999 but this whiff of know-it-all in the air has me hankerin' fer a big feed of mutton. I think I make the time and go punch that tag. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-06rem.model700 View Post
Yeah a anti ewe hunting speech
I think you should step it up a notch, and save all ungulates by not hunting anymore. That would be great..... for me.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Well I was going to 999 but this whiff of know-it-all in the air has me hankerin' fer a big feed of mutton. I think I make the time and go punch that tag. Thanks for the inspiration.
I have been thinking a lot about my priorities before entering my draws this year. This thread has actually stirred up something. Lots of priority for a ewe, so what the hell! Let’s get er done! Been a few years since I shot one, love sheep meat!

Thanks to 25-06rem, I’m going to kill one as well. Probably going to shoot her in the face. None of that good sheep meat will be wasted. Mmmmm, ewe ribs over a nice fire!

Thanks “Garry”, I will be killing a ewe this fall thanks to you!
Old 06-07-2019, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Haha if I can even save one ewe I’d be fine with half of Facebook and AO being frustrated with me.
And just in case I wasn’t clear. I will be killing a ewe because of this thread. Thanks for getting me motivated! My last ewe was the best meat you can get on the planet!

This one will taste even better because of this thread you started! Thanks again!
Old 06-07-2019, 01:39 AM
Banned

It’s got nothing to do with conservation, it has to do with making things easier. Some hunters enjoy the challenge of hunting, that’s what we find appealing about it. Others don’t and dream up ways to make it easier for themselves. Isn’t it more gratifying to have a successful hunt when the prey is harder to get? I guess that it’d be better for outfitters if there was a legal ram on every hillside though.......thrilling. That wouldn’t last long I wouldn’t think.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:34 AM
Banned

By some of the comments on this thread, maybe some think there is a problem with the sheep population. Dale you can't compare 1983 ewe tag numbers to present day numbers as there were way more sheep back then, so don't compare apples to oranges. Quit being a wannabe bio! Bio's are just theorists, it's their beliefs that they go on. I'm not saying Gary is right or wrong and he has every right in what he believes in and who are we to judge him on that. If there were a predation problem or if more prescribed burns are needed then why is there not something being done to help the situation?
Old 06-07-2019, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I’m not a biologist, nor do i pretend to be the best sheep hunter on the mountain... all i can compare it to is moose - and if you want a bunch of bull moose, you’re best to let the cows live. Every cow you kill takes all her unborn bulls down with her. Just as every ewe you shoot kills all of her unborn rams. I don’t personally see a reason to shoot a ewe, so i won’t. Whatever our biologists are doing, it isn’t working - and just because something is allowed, doesn’t mean it’s right.
That’s just my $0.02
Agree with this and it applies to all hunting and fishing we do.....legal doesn't mean we need to be greedy and stupid.....we can govern ourselves out there....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Agree with this and it applies to all hunting and fishing we do.....legal doesn't mean we need to be greedy and stupid.....we can govern ourselves out there....
Like ...

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 06:52 AM

Who will we save the ewes for if we burn our tags? For the folks that don't need a tag?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
Who will we save the ewes for if we burn our tags? For the folks that don't need a tag?
But if you shoot them, then they are dead for sure...

Kinda like shooting young bucks with potential
Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
But if you shoot them, then they are dead for sure...

Kinda like shooting young bucks with potential
The potential in animals for some hunters is table-fare, it has nothing to do with hanging horns or antlers on a wall. If. He carrying capacity dictates who cares what someone else thinks .......
Cat
Old 06-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The potential in animals for some hunters is table-fare, it has nothing to do with hanging horns or antlers on a wall. If. He carrying capacity dictates who cares what someone else thinks .......
Cat
That’s not what I’m implying here
I’m just saying that if your shooting an animal just one the basis that “ well the next guy will shoot them anyways”, Doesn’t make much sense. People are free to do what they want. If you want to shoot it, then shoot it. You don’t need to make an excuse for it.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
By some of the comments on this thread, maybe some think there is a problem with the sheep population. Dale

you can't compare 1983 ewe tag numbers to present day numbers as there were way more sheep back then

, so don't compare apples to oranges. Quit being a wannabe bio! Bio's are just theorists, it's their beliefs that they go on. I'm not saying Gary is right or wrong and he has every right in what he believes in and who are we to judge him on that. If there were a predation problem or if more prescribed burns are needed then why is there not something being done to help the situation?
And this is what ignorance looks like ^....

There are more sheep on provincial lands today than there were in the 80's.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
That’s not what I’m implying here
I’m just saying that if your shooting an animal just one the basis that “ well the next guy will shoot them anyways”, Doesn’t make much sense. People are free to do what they want. If you want to shoot it, then shoot it. You don’t need to make an excuse for it.
I never have and never will make excuses for shooting anything.
I replied to your comment about about shooting young bucks with potential is all.
Cat
Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I never have and never will make excuses for shooting anything.
I replied to your comment about about shooting young bucks with potential is all.
Cat
👍
I gotcha
Old 06-07-2019, 12:56 PM

Well I can see I’m kicking a dead horse here. The fact that their is so much faith in our biologists shocks me. We have a outdated sheep management plan. We’ve seen majority of our mountain elk and mule deer herds already depleted severally and I’m sure our sheep may be next. And yes we did have better sheep hunting when we we had a ton of ewe tags but maybe that’s the reason why it didn’t last forever. I find it humorous that the only arguments I’ve had against me are to review or outdated dated management plan, that I’m a money hungry guide, and then people just stating their gonna kill a ewe because I had my own opinion.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:29 PM

I'd like to see more pictures. dave99's were awesome, and I know of at least 2 more fairly recent successful hunts by AO members.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:47 PM

I want to see bdubs heavily broomed 4/5s ram!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
By some of the comments on this thread, maybe some think there is a problem with the sheep population. Dale you can't compare 1983 ewe tag numbers to present day numbers as there were way more sheep back then, so don't compare apples to oranges. Quit being a wannabe bio! Bio's are just theorists, it's their beliefs that they go on. I'm not saying Gary is right or wrong and he has every right in what he believes in and who are we to judge him on that. If there were a predation problem or if more prescribed burns are needed then why is there not something being done to help the situation?
Wow! This is stunning! Yup ignorance is the proper discription.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
I have been thinking a lot about my priorities before entering my draws this year. This thread has actually stirred up something. Lots of priority for a ewe, so what the hell! Let’s get er done! Been a few years since I shot one, love sheep meat!

Thanks to 25-06rem, I’m going to kill one as well. Probably going to shoot her in the face. None of that good sheep meat will be wasted. Mmmmm, ewe ribs over a nice fire!

Thanks “Garry”, I will be killing a ewe this fall thanks to you!
Be sure to clean up the grip and grin, I hate to see the tongue hanging out in those pics.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Well I can see I’m kicking a dead horse here. The fact that their is so much faith in our biologists shocks me. We have a outdated sheep management plan. We’ve seen majority of our mountain elk and mule deer herds already depleted severally and I’m sure our sheep may be next. And yes we did have better sheep hunting when we we had a ton of ewe tags but maybe that’s the reason why it didn’t last forever. I find it humorous that the only arguments I’ve had against me are to review or outdated dated management plan, that I’m a money hungry guide, and then people just stating their gonna kill a ewe because I had my own opinion.
Fair enough criticism on the responses but there is more than a little proof that harvesting females in an appropriate manner is good management. Right now I dont think a female caribou hunt is appropriate and I'm sure there are sheep populations in Alberta that can't take a hunt, but it is a good practice under appropriate circumstances.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think everyone should bring some zylatol with them on mountain hunts
Heck any hunt
Sprinkle a couple lbs on whatever you leave behind
Get rid of a few wolves
Old 06-07-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I think everyone should bring some zylatol with them on mountain hunts
Heck any hunt
Sprinkle a couple lbs on whatever you leave behind
Get rid of a few wolves
To bad fish and wildlife wouldn’t give us the good stuff!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:37 PM

Well here’s my first ewe from last year, easily my favourite table fare and not because of how much work it was.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
And this is what ignorance looks like ^....

There are more sheep on provincial lands today than there were in the 80's.
Really, tell us what the number of ewes were in the 80's as apposed to now. I know when I hunted in the 70's and 80's I seen a lot more sheep then I do now.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Really, tell us what the number of ewes were in the 80's as apposed to now. I know when I hunted in the 70's and 80's I seen a lot more sheep then I do now.
maybe you were just in better shape and hunted harder in the 70's and 80's
Old 06-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Still going to the same areas!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Wow! This is stunning! Yup ignorance is the proper discription.
The same clowns that put all their faith in the bio's info on sheep, but in the next breath bitch and complain about how bad they manage antelope.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker59 View Post
Well here’s my first ewe from last year, easily my favourite table fare and not because of how much work it was.

Congrats, dekker59! Looks like you had a little snow to contend with. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
LOL. No doubt. Pretty sure the mountains were less steep and tall for ol RZR 50ish years ago...
Old 06-07-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The same clowns that put all their faith in the bio's info on sheep, but in the next breath bitch and complain about how bad they manage antelope.
And mountain elk.... and mule deer.... and grizzly bear numbers......and.....